PDA

View Full Version : Coffee!!!

dbmamaz
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
So tell us about your relationship with coffee . . . .

I actually didnt enjoy coffee until i was in at least my mid, maybe late 30s and my sister got me a mocha at starbucks . . . i REALLY liked that. But the coffee at work always tasted so bad ... I would sometimes take a packet of hot cocoa mix and put in half coffee and half water, and some sweetener. But the coffee at my last job was so bad, and I went dairy free, so I would bring in a mix of instant coffee and cocoa powder, and some soy milk in the fridge, and make my own mix.

as for real coffee . . . well, atm i'm only drinking it on the weekends. I love it as a treat, but its so expensive and I think it is harder on my stomach than tea.

I was not a regular coffee drinker at home until my husband and I went out to dinner at a really good, small local restaraunt. My husband got a cup of coffee afterwards, and I tasted it, and couldnt believe how good it was! The waitress actually gave me a little one-pot package of it . . so I immediately ordered some on line, because I couldnt find it anywhere.

http://www.sovranastore.com/lavbargranfi1.html was my source, i bought it a case at a time. My mom loved it so much, she started ordering it, too. But when the first flush wore off, I decided it wasnt worth buying a whole case. But our local supermarket chain had a wonderful variety of coffees, and there was one I esp loved! But . . they sold out and it wasnt being carried any more. I kept trying to find someone who knew what it was, and was finally referred to one particular brew from some company in CA . . . but i had come to like the idea of NOT having to have my coffee shipped.

So for a new challenge, I started going through the locally roasted coffee that my Whole foods carries . .and sure enough, I found one. Its called Old World Expresso, and its my new coffee! Only problem is, dh likes it weaker than I do . . but he's just been nuking water to mix with his coffee, and making it reasonably strong for me.

I drink it with maple syrup and vanilla soy milk, just like my chai!

Aandwsmom
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I have been a coffee drinker since high school.
I like it with a spoon of non-dairy creamer(though I would prefer real cream but the fat and calories suck) and a spoon of sugar.
I used to use LOTS of sugar, the joke was it was sludge that I made. As I have gotten older, 1 spoon is fine.
I drink it in the morning only, my small percolator makes 3 cups and I drink 1 whole and 2 partials, because I hate it once it starts to cool.
I like it strong, cowboy coffee is what I call it. I used to use an old fashioned pyrex glass stovetop percolator to make it and it would sit on burner for hours. But, it was my grandparents and they are hard to find and cleaning it was a PITB....so I bought a Farberware 4 cup percolator....mainly because it keeps the coffee HOT. I hate, hate, HATE these stupid new drip machines that turn off after 2 hours. I get up at 5am and usually pour my last cup about 9am. And I am on the run from the time I get up until the time I go to bed...so I would forget that it turned off at 7am. Cold coffee.... GRRRRRR
And I am cheap, so buying a more expensive coffee maker that would stay on just bugged me!LOL
As for brands, Folgers or Yuban. Though I do splurge occasionally and get good stuff from the store. The price of coffee right now is making me crazy though.

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I drink a couple of cups of coffee a day. Coffee in the morning, tea in the evening. I like a good strong, dark roast brew. I've been drinking coffee since my early teens. I recently got a Keurig machine, and love that I can make one cup at a time, and even more, that you don't have to use the K-cups, but can individually brew whatever brand you like.

JinxieFox
10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't touch the stuff.

The thing is, I like both the smell and the taste (with extra cream, extra sugar), but it wrecks havoc with my body. My husband hates coffee. Therefore, we don't even own a coffee maker. I motor through my mornings on cardio-charged endorphins.

And I don't think my love of the Maxwell House International Cafe flavored coffees counts as *real* coffee. Does it? I have no idea if there's caffeine in the stuff or not, but it doesn't make me twitchy and poopy (sorry!) the way straight-up coffee does.

bcnlvr
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Summer: Coffee snob. French press. Cream and sugar. One cup upon awakening and one cup around 2ish in the afternoon (less sugar but coconut oil added).
Winter: Same as above but with nightcap cuppa tea (either plain or with dallop of cream).

Shoe
10-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Summer: Coffee snob. French press. Cream and sugar. One cup upon awakening and one cup around 2ish in the afternoon (less sugar but coconut oil added).
Winter: Same as above but with nightcap cuppa tea (either plain or with dallop of cream).

I like my French press in summer too. I make my coffee while sitting out on the deck. Lovely.

Jilly
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't drink coffee. I have tried it a couple of times, but I just don't like the taste.

rumbledolly
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
coffee - black - french press preferred but I don't always have time and french press coffee = coffee to savor! No sugar, sometimes cream/soy. Favorites are Wicked Joe (local brand), San Marco (coffee roaster down in NC - shipping price just kills the great deals they have and the amazing selection), and grocery store brands Seattle's Best, Green Mountain, or Trader Joe's though they seemed to have changed who they buy from as it doesn't seem as good as before.

I love tea too!

Mum
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I motor through my mornings on cardio-charged endorphins.

Probably Reason #27 why YOU appear to be an adorable size 4 and I am a size 16. ;)

My husband and I are such addicts that we program the coffee maker to brew it for us before we wake up so we can grab a cup before we even brush our teeth.
We like strong brews and grind our own beans.

Every morning of my childhood I can remember my Dad making my mom a cup and leaving it for her in the bathroom while she washed and dressed. My husband does the same for me on the weekends.

In my world Coffee=Love.

jess
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
My coffee relationship at the moment is dysfunctional as all getout, and I think I need rehab.

When I'm on 1-2 cups a day, I'm good, but lately it's been getting up to 3-4 on normal days, and god knows how many on my nightshift days. And I definitely notice that more than 2 starts making me really irritable.

I've had my two cups this morning, and fighting the urge to go have another. I may go stick the stuff currently in the coffeemaker in the fridge so that it isn't sitting there calling to me. The combination of my irritability the past few days and the fact that I really need to nap this afternoon (night shift tonight) is giving me a little extra willpower.

Ideally, I think I'd like to cut it out entirely, but I'd have a seriously hard time getting through night shift without something. Last week I did more night shifts than usual (normal is 1 night a week. Last week was 3.5 nights). One night, I had a 5 hour energy and a quart jar of coffee at midnight (on top of whatever I had before work), and the rest of the shift went really well, energy-wise. Usually I hit some serious brain-fog around 2-3, and that didn't happen (that's usually the time when I have to hit up the CNAs on the dementia ward, who always brew up a clandestine pot).

Anyways, I think I'd like to cut down to one cup a day when I'm not working, and hopefully get by with less when I am working. Ideally I'd like to drop it entirely on days when I'm not working, but I live with two other coffee addicts so I don't see that happening.

On the good side, it used to be that coffee was my carrier for sugar. Now I've cut that out entirely except as an occasional treat, and just have coconut milk in it.

We have an automatic coffeemaker that has it ready for us when we wake, because the process of brewing coffee is too difficult prior to coffee ingestion. We used to have french presses, but they kept breaking. I'd like to get a metal one sometime.

I like to make cold-brewed coffee during the summer. It is a fantastic invention.

We buy the cheap coffee, because we go through a lot of it, and the cheap brand tastes better than the medium-quality brands.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Blech, I can't stand it. I've been trying periodically for the last 20 years and I can't even stomach one sip. I do love the smell of hazelnut coffee, though. My husband is a coffee man--three strong cups (black) from the French press every morning . I suspect he also sneaks over to Dunkin Donuts during work to get more.

inmom
10-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Love coffee. But, it doesn't always love me--causes my irregular heartbeats to really take off if I have too much. So I grind my own beans and do a half and half caffeine/decaf mix. Then I have tricked myself that I drink twice as much! Still, it only amounts to a cup and half of coffee all day.

Stella M
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I drink dandelion coffee. Does that count ? No ? You are going to kick me off the coffee thread now, right ?

Coffee makes my heart beat fast and makes me talk super fast. It also keeps me awake all night long. No coffee for me :(

jess
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Coffee makes my heart beat fast and makes me talk super fast. It also keeps me awake all night long. No coffee for me :(
I used to be able to drink coffee wherever, whenever, and fall asleep immediately afterwards if necessary. Couldn't understand why my parents switched to decaf and would only drink it first thing in the morning. Alas, I must be growing old, because now I can't drink coffee past noon if I want to sleep at night.

Laina
10-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I drink 2-3 strong cups in the morning and another 2-3 cups in the afternoon. Just a splash of cream, no sugar. I have been drinking it since my teenage years. I love having a freshly brewed pot of coffee in the house.

laundrycrisis
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I started with Suisse Mocha at age 9. I was drinking black coffee every morning at 11. At summer camp I surprised the counselors by slipping in the side door of the kitchen and taking coffee. This was way before it was fashionable for kids to like coffee !

I love coffee. But for some reason I go on streaks when I can't stand it. Then I have strong tea lattes in the morning.

I used to be a coffee snob. I do appreciate the finer tastes in coffee. But I can also make a really good latte with instant coffee and powdered creamer. It's all in the technique ;) I even taught my coffee-snob aunt how to do this in a B&B that only had instant coffee - and she was surprised at how good it was !

My newest coffee discover is Nestle Cafe con Leche in a can. It's like a can of formula with a little scoop - except it's the perfect mix of instant coffee, powdered milk and sugar. Well, almost perfect. I make it a little stronger with a little more instant coffee ;)

MrsLOLcat
10-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't do black, but I love coffee that's been masked by enough milk/sugar/flavoring/creamer to be completely unrecognizeable. I started my habit when I was about 15, when us band nerds would show up at school at 6 a.m., pile into someone's car, and we'd all head to the corner QuikTrip (if you don't have QuikTrip, you have NO idea what you're missing... 7-11 and their kind have nothing on QT) for cappuccino. Sometimes we'd hit the drive-through doughnut shop, too. I gave up coffee when I was pregnant and the kids were tiny because I hadn't discovered the beauty of creamer yet. That revelation has got me back on a 2-3 cuppaday habit again. DH loves his coffee strong and black, so he buys Dunkin Donuts brand and grinds his own beans, but I don't care what brand it is, as long as I can flavor it up all happy-like. :) The best part is that I drink it solely for the habit and the flavor; the caffeine does nothing for me, but I still gotta have my coffee!!

Lou
10-06-2011, 08:40 PM
My relationship with coffee is very personal and intimate! ha, ha..

I was a tea drinker...hubby says he married me because I didn't drink coffee...but baby #2 came along and tea didn't give me the get up and go I needed in the morning...so coffee started to enter into my life...sort of like a side affair I didn't want to blantantly share with the hubby since he disliked the thought of coffee smells in the house.

It leaked into the house (before it was a hot meet up at starbucks) via a french press...we needed to have something to make coffee for company when they stay with us...then we should have coffee on hand for when I host a playgroup...then oh well we had it, so I thought I'd try it...ha, ha...

It has evolved over the past 4 years into a desperate need...does that make me a coffee addict??? I broke several coffee makers and so I went with a percolator and we had a brief love affair...I could make a brilliant cup of joe with my perc...but then came an international vacation which included a very difficult time getting a cup of coffee...all I could find in the UK was INSTANT...so for several weeks I was drinking INSTANT...and believe it or not, I'm now in love with my perfectly measured instant coffee...a couple cups of loaded and then decaf for the whole freak'n day...coffee coffee coffee...I have to MAKE myself drink water and other options throughout the day...

My husband has given in and he allows the love triangle to continue with his support...he brings me coffee in bed on weekend mornings...he's a keeper! :)

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
aaaahhh.... coffee.

Coffee and I have had such a tumultuous affair. The first taste, watered down folgers with non-dairy creamer, I nearly spat out at Santa during the Santa Breakfast. Perhaps I was twelve. That day I wore my favorite velveteen v-neck, burgundy sweater and plaid skirt. Having been surrounded by women and men in my family who never left the coffee pot empty, and cold, I thought for sure I'd find this beverage delectable. Alas, it would be many years before I found the pleasure of this dark liquid.

I had to make this a blog post, please check it out over there (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/entries/1072-For-the-love-of-Coffee)!

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:17 PM
aaaahhh.... coffee.

Coffee and I have had such a tumultuous affair. The first taste, watered down folgers with non-dairy creamer, I nearly spat out at Santa during the Santa Breakfast. Perhaps I was twelve. That day I wore my favorite velveteen v-neck, burgundy sweater and plaid skirt. Having been surrounded by women and men in my family who never left the coffee pot empty, and cold, I thought for sure I'd find this beverage delectable. Alas, it would be many years before I found the pleasure of this dark liquid.

cont
Waiting with baited breath!

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:23 PM
just put the rest on a blog and edited the post with a link.

vBulletin Message
Invalid Blog specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator :(
You sure know how to keep up the suspense. Almost Hitchcock like... :)

Stella M
10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Link isn't working Lakshmi!

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm a marketing Genius. Link should be working, and leave lots of comments so that newbies think I am really popular, because really that is all I want to be a Coffee Whore.

Stella M
10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, maybe it should be working, but it isn't! How can I leave faux comments when I can't find it, huh ?

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm a marketing Genius. Link should be working, and leave lots of comments so that newbies think I am really popular, because really that is all I want to be a Coffee Whore.

Still not working :( ... suspense held for too long leads to frustration, which works against good marketing.

(Can you give us the raw link, please?)

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
It just worked for me, weird. Blogs on SHS..

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/entries/1072-For-the-love-of-Coffee

Okay, now I'm just getting annoyed. It still doesn't work for me.

vBulletin Message
Invalid Blog specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Stella M
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Me neither :(

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
don't use the link and click on Blogs, it should be there I am seeing it. I seriously don't know what to do.. quit using the link and see if you can get to it directly. freaky.

Nope, still don't see it.

From the Blogs page:

Recent Blogs Posts

Swains Island
by
Theresa Holland Ryder
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Blog Entries
* Visit Homepage
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on Today at 10:58 AM

Coral Reef at Swain's Island, NOAA Photo Library
Swains Island, the one above American Samoa, not the one in New Foundland, has a bit of a tragic history for such a small place. Although it's part of the Tokelau chain which is governed by New Zealand, its government is administered through American Samoa. Swains Island was settled in the mid-nineteenth century by the Jennings family, who ruled the island as a coconut ...

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments 0 Comments
Read MoreRead More
Between Stephen and Matilda(s)
by
Tiger's Mum
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* Visit Homepage
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
* Send Email
on Yesterday at 11:06 AM

To clarify matters from the week before last, we headed over to Hedingham Castle to attend a half-day living history event of the year 1142 (organised by a really lovely homeschooling lady), which told of the struggle between King Stephen and Queen Matilda for the English crown. Hedingham Castle is relevant to our story because the man who lived there at that time was on the side of Queen Matilda, who made him the first Earl of Oxford.

To read more about it, please go here.

Tags: homeschooling Add / Edit Tags

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments 0 Comments
Staying Up Late Reading Harry Potter...
by
jazz
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 10:48 PM (Small Apartment Homeschool)

Or... one of the reasons I love homeschooling!

Just started reading the first Harry Potter book with my daughter. She's 7 1/2 and although I thought I might wait a bit later, she got it out and asked me to read it to her/with her. So, we did. Until quite late, although that's 4 chapters in at her reading speed and with discussing it in between. It's exciting! And I promised her she can sleep in tomorrow morning.

She thinks Harry should be nicer about Mrs. Figg. She says ...

Updated 10-04-2011 at 11:05 PM by jazz

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 6 Comments
Read MoreRead More
Confused :/
by
Corinne
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 01:22 AM

Can someone explain why there is an icon next to the title on my last blog with an x on it? I can be a little slow some days, but I do not think I wrote anything offensive on my orginial blog. I edited what I thought might have caused the icon but it is still there.

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 2 Comments
Hello, I'm new to the site
by
Corinne
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 01:07 AM

I have recently "started" homeschooling preschool to my two girls, ages 2 and 3. I came across this site while searching for a local secular homeschool group, which I did not find I do look forward to reading blogs from like minded homeschoolers.

Updated 10-04-2011 at 01:13 AM by Corinne (un-moderate)

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 1 Comment

lakshmi
it wasn't working. I logged out and couldn't see it so maybe it is a privacy setting thing or something. Sorry. I will take the post out after you read it and move it back to the blog.

Lou
Didn't work for me either...took me to a notify admin message...

Shoe
don't use the link and click on Blogs, it should be there I am seeing it. I seriously don't know what to do.. quit using the link and see if you can get to it directly. freaky.

Nope, still don't see it.

From the Blogs page:

Recent Blogs Posts

Swains Island
by
Theresa Holland Ryder
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Blog Entries
* Visit Homepage
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on Today at 10:58 AM

Coral Reef at Swain's Island, NOAA Photo Library
Swains Island, the one above American Samoa, not the one in New Foundland, has a bit of a tragic history for such a small place. Although it's part of the Tokelau chain which is governed by New Zealand, its government is administered through American Samoa. Swains Island was settled in the mid-nineteenth century by the Jennings family, who ruled the island as a coconut ...

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments 0 Comments
Read MoreRead More
Between Stephen and Matilda(s)
by
Tiger's Mum
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* Visit Homepage
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
* Send Email
on Yesterday at 11:06 AM

To clarify matters from the week before last, we headed over to Hedingham Castle to attend a half-day living history event of the year 1142 (organised by a really lovely homeschooling lady), which told of the struggle between King Stephen and Queen Matilda for the English crown. Hedingham Castle is relevant to our story because the man who lived there at that time was on the side of Queen Matilda, who made him the first Earl of Oxford.

To read more about it, please go here.

Tags: homeschooling Add / Edit Tags

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments 0 Comments
Staying Up Late Reading Harry Potter...
by
jazz
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 10:48 PM (Small Apartment Homeschool)

Or... one of the reasons I love homeschooling!

Just started reading the first Harry Potter book with my daughter. She's 7 1/2 and although I thought I might wait a bit later, she got it out and asked me to read it to her/with her. So, we did. Until quite late, although that's 4 chapters in at her reading speed and with discussing it in between. It's exciting! And I promised her she can sleep in tomorrow morning.

She thinks Harry should be nicer about Mrs. Figg. She says ...

Updated 10-04-2011 at 11:05 PM by jazz

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 6 Comments
Read MoreRead More
Confused :/
by
Corinne
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 01:22 AM

Can someone explain why there is an icon next to the title on my last blog with an x on it? I can be a little slow some days, but I do not think I wrote anything offensive on my orginial blog. I edited what I thought might have caused the icon but it is still there.

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 2 Comments
Hello, I'm new to the site
by
Corinne
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
on 10-04-2011 at 01:07 AM

I have recently "started" homeschooling preschool to my two girls, ages 2 and 3. I came across this site while searching for a local secular homeschool group, which I did not find I do look forward to reading blogs from like minded homeschoolers.

Updated 10-04-2011 at 01:13 AM by Corinne (un-moderate)

Categories
Uncategorized

Go to first new comment 1 Comment

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:45 PM
okay, I posted it here in the thread, are you all seeing htat. This is freaking me out so much I am forgetting to click the Jump to last viewed.. I need a cup of coffee.

Lou
10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting it here...I just looked all thru several pages of the 115 blog pages listed and didn't find anything from you...and the link didn't work for me either...wonder what's happening...do you have it as a draft and not published yet???

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
aaaahhh.... coffee.

In the interim I had a love affair with a pop named Pepsi, even though I always chose coke in the challenges. At 20, no longer satisfied by the price tag of paying for soda after soda, I had to find a more cost effective beverage that I could consume during the "study sessions" at Waffle house. Enter, stage right, Coffee. Of course she and I couldn't quite get together until we, well quite frankly, invited her friends, sugar pack, sugar pack, sugar pack, and sugar pack. Perhaps for modesty's sake I am cutting short the number of friends that coffee brought. Although Waffle's were good, coffee was cheap. And I needed cheap to go with my need to sit for hours, and hours, and hours. If I'd stayed at home, I could have accomplished more studies, but alas, Coffee, her friends and my friends had such fun. Who cares if I flunked Journalism 101.

As is the case, the late night study sessions in which the under 21 crowd partake started to fall to the wayside. Thus leaving a late night hole you might ask, well, no. Enter, Bullwinkle's, gay bar, faghagging and yes, the dark and cheap, Coffee. Now, she and I had grown comfortable, her friends rarely showed up anymore. I liked her bitter warmth all alone.

For many years, while living on 3.35 an hour, I entertained myself at bars with coffee. While everyone else drank shots of hot damn, or vodka tonics, I kept my change in my pocket and held out my cup for a free refill. Until as luck would have it I found another human who also had a penchant for coffee. At this point it is as if my two worlds collided, after working, going to a bar, we'd then go to an all night diner where we'd eat peanut butter pie, and drink buffalo china mugs full of coffee, for hours.

Luckily for me, I had loads of humans scattered across the country all who invited me to imbibe with them. Enter, Muddy Waters, Mission district. San Francisco took me to the next level. Espresso. Dark Roast, 16 ounce coffees. All Black all the time. And late nights that I can't remember. November 1990. You can't see my pause, but the smell of the coffee, commonplace to us today, was so overpowering then, plus the smells of the city and the chill in the air.

At this point, I'd never have known that I'd be then moving to the birthplace of modern coffee a mere four years later. There my love became my addiction. No, I never shot junk, I did however run from junkies downtown after I'd spent the night drinking coffee at bars, and coffee shops all along Capitol Hill. Green cat cafe, Coffee carts, Seattle's Best, Starbucks, Espresso Roma, The Globe, The place I can't remember the name just off Pike/Pine. I think I was in heaven.

Then, it wasn't quite withdrawal, but anywhere else, even if it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, Santa Fe, just couldn't compare to coffee town. Now coffee and I have a comfortable home life. We chatted in the mornings, and every now and then would foray into the open night. But much much less rare.

This comfort lasted a good number of years, until one day on a train to Shanghai, I had the most amazing discovery. Honestly, I remember the pleasure centers in my brain bouncing like a pinball machine just before full tilt. A small plastic pre-made cup of Nescafe, creamer and sugar. I audibly groaned and closed my eyes to sit back into the seat. I'd finally found the most perfect relationship. We'd never be the same.

Half & half, pure cane sugar, and a nice roast of coffee became a staple for years. Then, what sealed my fate, was when after a wacky night out, the kind gentleman who had graciously taken me back to his house, offered me a cup of my favorite morning beverage, replete with cream, sugar. It was love at first taste, all over again. Something about cities, they have nooks and crannies where coffee can hide, and Albuquerque was no different. Pho Huang held the newest secret. Coffee changed her style. Enter Vietnamese Iced Coffee, aka Ca phe sua da. Oddly, I'd never been one to be attracted to icy personalities, but this French/Asian combination knocked me off my jump boots. Cafe DuMonde coffee with chicory and la lechera, sweetened condensed milk. The stomach pains from the acid bought this relationship. But it was well worth it.

But during the next few years, coffee and I started drifting apart. The tendency to loquacity aside, coffee just felt bad to me. I stepped back from the relationship. But she lurked in the background and waited. She waited for the kind gentleman and I to open a restaurant. It happened when we bought the espresso machine. This time a girl named Illy jumped me at Whole Foods, and she did not let go. I worked for days to pull a perfect shot. More and more wired, I wrote blog posts about Caphe sua da and coffee and how to get it right. This time was sort of like a zombie nightmare, press pots beckoned, vietnamese iced coffees and americano's all called out to me every day asking to be held, if only for the moment.

Once again, I had to leave. Coffee, is just so bossy that she takes control. My life wsa great without her, until that day. Peet's on Van Nuys and Bush. Damn San Francisco with her coffee. All it took was one, and then Peet took care of me, like an old friend. The Red Door Cafe kicked me out on my butt after I drank a bowl of coffee. Literally in a bowl.

It seems that I'll never get rid of her. Santa would never have guessed. Can I blame the Chinese? I don't think so. It is pure and simple my love of coffee that I have to blame.

Thanks to Cara for asking about my relationship with coffee.

At last I can see it. It was worth the wait! Mmmm coffee.

:)

Lou
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
back to my love affair with coffee...that experience caused me to need a loaded cup and now I'll be up all night...thanks! ha, ha... (not really, I'm enjoying a cup of decaf right now...

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh for chissakes, that is the last time I try to be conscientious about posting something too large or worrying about hijacking. It so backfired.. lol. And SHOE!!! wow, who knew you get so animated. That is the first time I've seen that from you, and I was bound and determined to satisfy... I've not been so nervous on a thread before...lol and SADIE!! lol.. you guys are tough.. Off I go to figure out the blog thing.

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting it here...I just looked all thru several pages of the 115 blog pages listed and didn't find anything from you...and the link didn't work for me either...wonder what's happening...do you have it as a draft and not published yet???

ah ell I dunno. (cockney Please)

eta, scratch that, Bogan Please.

Lou
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
My hubby will share me with "joe" but he's not fond of me scratching other folks bogan....sorry... :p

Shoe
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
back to my love affair with coffee...that experience caused me to need a loaded cup and now I'll be up all night...thanks! ha, ha... (not really, I'm enjoying a cup of decaf right now...

I was drinking a glass of wine, but now I've switched to Kahlua (http://www.kahlua.com) because of this thread (rough week, and this is my weekend!), in honor of the wonderful coffee bean.

Lou
10-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I was drinking a glass of wine, but now I've switched to Kahlua (http://www.kahlua.com) because of this thread (rough week, and this is my weekend!), in honor of the wonderful coffee bean. ooooo oooo oh good suggestion...kahlua pleazzz :)

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 09:59 PM
lol.... All i have is Patron and Jack, and of course friggen coffee.. I suppose i hve some work to do. ... And I still can't see the blog if I log out, I checked all the settings, so obviously I fu*ked something up somewhere.

eta: just noticed that you linked to kahlua..lmao, and must be 21 to enter!!! btw shoe, fix your sleep link, it takes me to a weird place. And while you're at it, go update your blog... !!! ; )

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh for chissakes, that is the last time I try to be conscientious about posting something too large or worrying about hijacking. It so backfired.. lol. Well, I think we all appreciate your efforts.

And SHOE!!! wow, who knew you get so animated. That is the first time I've seen that from you, and I was bound and determined to satisfy... I've not been so nervous on a thread before...lol Well, you started talking about coffee...what's not to get animated about? The only other topics that could get me more excited are beer, movies and maybe, teA. And you did satisfy...mmmm, coffee. French press, percolated, drip, espresso, cappuccino, French roast, Italian roast, Viennese style, even decaf is acceptable!

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Damn dude, send me your addy and I'll post you some of our ChickieBlend from a local roaster. I could stand to place an order with La Terza (http://www.laterzacoffee.com/)

eta: Great coffee btw, for anyone who really likes coffee and grinding your own beans.

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:08 PM
eta: just noticed that you linked to kahlua..lmao, and must be 21 to enter!!! btw shoe, fix your sleep link, it takes me to a weird place. And while you're at it, go update your blog... !!! ; ) I assumed that most of us here are over 21...maybe my bad. And I did just fix my sleep link...that was weird. I guess the image I had previously linked to had lost its right to the website name. I updated my other blog last month. October is a bad time to ask me to write anything because of the IMDb Horror Board Challenge, where I spend all my free time watching movies.

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Start a horror movie thread then you can kill two birds, and make a movie about it. ...

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Damn dude, send me your addy and I'll post you some of our ChickieBlend from a local roaster. I could stand to place an order with La Terza (http://www.laterzacoffee.com/)

eta: Great coffee btw, for anyone who really likes coffee and grinding your own beans.

The Cosogual Cooperative is located in the mountains of western Honduras. The rolling hills of coffee farms are watched over by the Piedra Parada, or “Standing Rock,” a monument to represent the struggle of the indigenous people of Honduras against Spanish occupation. Cosogual’s premium Fair Trade Organic coffee is grown amidst this historical landmark, where in 1536 the indigenous revolutionary leader, Lempira, fell to the Spanish soldiers. Cosogual uses organic farming methods only, including the use of compost for fertilizer and natural remedies to combat pests. Cosogual members are maintaining solidarity of their cooperative and reaching financial empowerment through working Fair Trade deals with importers. Organic and Fair Trade premiums help finance education for members and their families. This description's got me drooling!

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Order some. You won't regret it.

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Order some. You won't regret it.

Okay, you've convinced me. :)

Shoe
10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Start a horror movie thread then you can kill two birds, and make a movie about it. ...

Well, I tend to talk about horror over on IMDb, since there aren't a lot of horror movie fans elsewhere in my experience...but I suppose I could get my son, who is taking a stop motion animation course in a coop this year, to do a horror short film. It might be fun.

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Okay, you've convinced me. :)

We ordered two pounds and mixed them for the perfect blend, but I am not remembering which two. Will ask Chef and let you know.

Lou
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
horror flicks scarred me for life. I recall sleeping with my parents in high school because I was freaked out for weeks over a scary movie my friends "forced" me to watch...eventually my parents kicked me out of their bed, so I snuck in on the floor in a sleeping bag...pretty sure they realized (now that I'm a parent and I'm 99% sure I'd know if my kids were in a sleeping bag on my floor!) :)

Rest assured if you never want to see me in a thread, make it a horror one and have clips of scary stuff... :)

dbmamaz
10-06-2011, 10:40 PM
LOL wow, what a fun thread!!

I was trying to respond hours ago but got interupted - when I met DH, he had a cheap american brand coffee maker with an insulated carafe. I kept considering buying a newer fancier one (which would make hotter water and not drip all over the place every time you try to pour it), but we're just too cheap. I also have a bur grinder. I only buy whole bean. and i only like a rich, deep coffee . . no light notes, no citrus, nothing sharp.

and best of all - dh decided to take a sick day tomorrow (so he can try to get over this cold before the board game convention this weekend) . . . so I get coffee tomorrow!!! Woot!

gidamom
10-06-2011, 10:46 PM
LOVE, LOVE coffee!! Have 2 cups every morning, and would have more, but I know its not good for me :( I've kicked the habit a few times, because its so bad for my stomach, but have always come back...Cafe con leche for me, with brown sugar. Can't stand instant coffee, can't stand non-dairy creamer and will only have that watered down coffee in most restaurants in the U.S. in case of an emergency.

Here, we don't use a percolator, so coffee is stronger, and there are great local haciendas which I love, but are much more expensive than the regular local ground coffee...

Now I've got a craving :(

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 10:52 PM
LOVE, LOVE coffee!! Have 2 cups every morning, and would have more, but I know its not good for me :( I've kicked the habit a few times, because its so bad for my stomach, but have always come back...Cafe con leche for me, with brown sugar. Can't stand instant coffee, can't stand non-dairy creamer and will only have that watered down coffee in most restaurants in the U.S. in case of an emergency.

Here, we don't use a percolator, so coffee is stronger, and there are great local haciendas which I love, but are much more expensive than the regular local ground coffee...

Now I've got a craving :( I know I can barely stand it.
And Cara talking about notes....

I have in a mind a Mexican Organic roast that I drank circa 1995 that I just cannot recapture. One reason why I've stuck with cream and sugar, I just can't get that black flavor in just any ole roast.

Lou
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I have in a mind a Mexican Organic roast that I drank circa 1995 that I just cannot recapture. One reason why I've stuck with cream and sugar, I just can't get that black flavor in just any ole roast. WOW...you can recall the time frame you had a fabulous cup of coffee...that must of been an IMPRESSIVE cup! I'm sure it had to do with the setting, the mood, and many other environmental experiences happening. Can't just be the beans....can it???

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 11:05 PM
BEANS BABY BEANS......

I friggen love coffee like a XXXXXXX likes XXXXXXXXYZ. You fill in the blanks. You can still find it around, and not sure where you are, but I bet you can find it too!!! OH< I came very close to this flavor at this place (http://www.winningcoffeeco.com/)

See, coffee isn't like wine, you don't just get one bottle or one glass you buy it buy the pound, and lots of it.

Shoe
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM
BEANS BABY BEANS......

I friggen love coffee like a XXXXXXX likes XXXXXXXXYZ. You fill in the blanks. You can still find it around, and not sure where you are, but I bet you can find it too!!! OH< I came very close to this flavor at this place (http://www.winningcoffeeco.com/)

See, coffee isn't like wine, you don't just get one bottle or one glass you buy it buy the pound, and lots of it.

Exactly this!

Shoe
10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
horror flicks scarred me for life. I recall sleeping with my parents in high school because I was freaked out for weeks over a scary movie my friends "forced" me to watch...eventually my parents kicked me out of their bed, so I snuck in on the floor in a sleeping bag...pretty sure they realized (now that I'm a parent and I'm 99% sure I'd know if my kids were in a sleeping bag on my floor!) :)

Rest assured if you never want to see me in a thread, make it a horror one and have clips of scary stuff... :)That does seem to be a common reaction to horror movies, which is why I only talk about them where I know others are fans. I envy your fear though. It's been a long time since a horror movie made me feel that way, and I long for that adrenaline rush again. It is the desire for that frisson that makes me search out horror (though I like almost every genre of movie, not just horror).

gidamom
10-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Rest assured if you never want to see me in a thread, make it a horror one and have clips of scary stuff... :)

Me too!!!! For me, no need to even add the clips to keep me away! Just the thought of it is freaky enough!!! :O

dbmamaz
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Dh made the mistake of getting a zombie movie for our at home date night once. All he got that night was an earful of how much zombies make me think of starving children

lakshmi
10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
yeah, i was trying to avoid it but probably my worst branch of movies, and i haven't watched much. But it is October and you could be the spookie master. I think it was Carrie that turned me. I saw it on the tele and I love loved loved John Travolta, and I couldn't fathom that he'd do such a thing. I think the ones with suspense and just a hint of real are the worst/best.

Beverly
10-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Oh. My.

I am not as eloquent or well traveled as lakshmi, but my relationship with coffee may be as intense. I confess that I do, when desperate allow myself to get a cup at Star*ucks. However in less desperate moments, it would never occur to me to have coffee that was not locally roasted. If fact, before my time in a small urban apartment, I used to roast it myself in the garage out on the back patio.

I drink one french press a day with a bit of cream and sugar if I stay home. If I am out it almost always involves coffee (there may be exceptions for wine or beer) so that would be added to the french press that makes three cups.

Stella M
10-07-2011, 03:35 AM
You guys! Enough with the frisson and the salacious beans of coffee love! OK ? Fanning herself...

JinxieFox
10-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Probably Reason #27 why YOU appear to be an adorable size 4 and I am a size 16. ;)

That's kinda scary... I am a size 4.

But I *still* wish my body would accept real coffee! You've got me beat there.

Now to have some of my not-really-coffee-Cafe-Vienna. It's a rough Friday morning. I was up late playing Minecraft. I found paradise and just had to build there. And, yes, I already worked out today. XD

Greenmother
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I am hooked on espresso. Black. I have one or two double shots a day. Always first thing in the morning. Otherwise I get a headache because I am addicted. I also have an old fashioned espresso percolator that goes on the campfire. I don't mind drinking it cold at all. So there are days when I sip it slowly and it is cold by the time I finish.

I love coffee with just about any kind of desert or chocolate. Esp dark chocolate.

People who have known me in the past will demand that I go get an espresso if I am in a bad mood, because it makes me almost bearable.

dbmamaz
10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I woke up remembering my father - he was always on the hunt for a better cup of coffee. He spent a decent amount of time in europe, and i guess was always trying to recreate what he had there. he went through many coffee makers - the was before "Mr Coffee" was a common thing . . . I remember the thing that looked like a giant pyrex beaker with a waistline, which he would put on the stove on low heat, a filter on the top full of coffee, and pour hot water in to it slowly. I remember a copper pot he would simply simmer the grounds with the water in. He called it Greek coffee, I think, but was later told that the correct name is cowboy coffee. His favorite was some little metal contraption, about 8 inches tall, you put water on the bottom, a basket held the grounds, and the coffee was made from the steam in to the upper part. He melted down at least one of those by leaving it on the stove when he went off to work. He did once get some bigger metal contraption which included a milk steaming arm .. . but iir, it was too much work to clean and he went back to the little 8 inch pot.

but he never ground his own, and he mostly used . . M'dagla dorio? something like that.

he was also on the hunt for the perfect waffle - i wonder if he ever tried a yeasted recipe? thats the best .. .

Greenmother
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Yep, that's it--and cowboy coffee would be an apt description. It is very very strong. Like the Tar-essence of coffee.

Lou
10-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Ha, ha...grapes grapes grapes, you buy it by the case....ha, ha... I love coffee, but I have a cellar full of wine...I have to say Coffee by day, Wine by night... ;-) Actually I don't drink much wine, but it has a longer shelf life, so we stock up! :)

Penguin
10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Mmmmm, coffee. But usually only one cup a day. We use a french press and make one pot every morning. We use locally roasted beans and grind them each morning. It's thick and dark and I don't add anything to it, but I must eat hot buttery toast with it.

Occasionally we'll make a second pot in the afternoon, but I never enjoy it as much. And I want to eat chocolate with it when we do. And sometimes we'll get a latte if we're out and about, but that's rare too because a trip to the coffee shop with three kids and suddenly we've spent $20.

Beverly
10-07-2011, 03:01 PM
dbmamaz,
I think your dad had a moka pot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot). Adding one to my Christmas wish list. I have a good friend who uses one and had forgotten how good it was until you mentioned it.

dbmamaz
10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
dbmamaz,
I think your dad had a moka pot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot). Adding one to my Christmas wish list. I have a good friend who uses one and had forgotten how good it was until you mentioned it.
Yes, you are right! And here is his other favorite, the chemex . . . Tho apparently you aren't supposed to put it on the stove . . .perhaps that was why his often broke?

http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-Drip-Coffee-Carafe-Cup/dp/B000I1WP7W/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318014584&sr=1-2

jess
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM
If fact, before my time in a small urban apartment, I used to roast it myself in the garage out on the back patio.
My housemate roasted coffee once. Worst. Smell. Ever.

I love the smell of coffeebeans, and brewing coffee, and I love coffee entirely too much.

Roasting coffee? Definitely not my thing.

TamaraNC
10-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Coffee here means Starbucks x-bold varieties, made with little funnels over single cups, sometimes with some 1/2-and-1/2, but usually black and in my beat-up but well-insulated REI travel mug. The coffeemaker died a couple of months ago, and it's actually way tastier this way, so we haven't replaced it.

I agree that coffee=love. I know DH loves me because he brings me a cup in the morning when my head is still buried under the pillows. If I'm up first, I do the same, even though I'm incredibly lazy, because I want him to know I love him.

In fact, I'm going to go get some love right now... *waggles eyebrows as if to imply innuendo, but really is just going to make a cup*.

lakshmi
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Cara, was the copper thing like this? http://www.freshcoffeeshop.com/Coffee/en/turkish-coffee/turkish-coffee-pots

Interesting dad/coffee relationship.

dbmamaz
10-07-2011, 09:43 PM
something like that - a little simpler looking . . the waist line was subtle and the whole thing was very plain