PDA

View Full Version : for those who work at home and homeschool...

Deli76
10-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I know I have alot of questions, thank you so much for your kindness and patience.
The one big issue the hubby and I have is how do we teach our daughter when we both work at home?
I am gone with a client for 1 hour on monday and every other friday. Tues , Wed, and Thurs I am gone for 2 hours with a client. Hubby is in the garage working a majority of the day. Our daughter is 7. I am not comfy with her being in the garage while I am gone. There are dangerous machines in there. Hubby, who is not all that receptive to homeschooling, says that he really cant take the time I am gone to homeschool her and doesnt know how to teach her. I think it his way of saying he doesnt want to homeschool her. I can take her to her old home daycare. She homeschools her son as well. But I dont know if we can afford the price. I will have to ask her.
The parents of the gifted and talented kids at the school were invited to the district office for info on the new g&t program at the schools. Well this is their idea in short...
in one class there is going to be 3 groups of kids...g&t, average, and the kids who need to catch up. ( i was average, and my brother was behind because of a hearing prob and speach impediment, and we did great) however, what they are doing is training the teachers to have the g&t kids go more in depth for their class work, average kids stay on course, and kids who are behind will get a bit more instruction. One of the parents said basically there is going to be 3 different sets of lessons that the teacher has to keep up with per subject??? thats what was going thru my mind. then the kids that need to catch up get more one on one and the average and g&t kids are left to fend for themselves and are not going to be challenged. ummm...anyone with g&t child knows that they are not well organized. its a g&t trait. im flabbergasted! they are to implement this next year. which means my child along with everyother child are all labrats. I am so not comfortable with this. If I do in fact chose to homeschool my child, to keep her from being a lab rat at a school, what do I do with her while I am with a client? I dont want her to have a mediocre education, I dont want her to be a labrat.She needs to be challenged. honestly, the schools are handing out wavers to schools to up the class size from 22 to 27! how are the teachers going to implement 3 different sets of lessons for 27 kids who are at 3 different levels??? I am disappointed I dont have hubbies full support. I honestly dont know which way to go, or what to do, or find a schedule that would fit our needs to make sure she gets the education she deserves.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 11:16 PM
So, you work 8 hours a week plus travel time ? How much at-home work is there to prep for client's appts ? Is there any way you can see clients all on one or two days ?

Seems to me it would be easier to get care for your dd for one or two days, than for a few hours each day..

I would be more focused on looking for care for your dd right now and work out how you structure her learning week later once you have that sorted.

The G&T class sounds like a failure waiting to happen.

Deli76
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
I am a dog walker and pet sitter, there is not any prep time, i go in, feed them, refresh water, walk them. ( its quite fun and rewarding, it pays well and we do need the money) One of my dogs i care for has renal failure and needs to be let out at a certain time each day. The times stated above include travel time.
i totally agree with this new program being a failure. alot of the parents saw it too. such a disappointment.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Can dd come with you to work then ? Call it PE :)

If you don't have any prep and not too much travel time, you've got oodles of the week to homeschool.

Gabriela
10-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I work at home and often have to do work errands. I take my son with me and do mental math, discuss whatever book he's reading, talk about what we're seeing in science class...

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2011, 12:08 AM
You could make her your assistant give her a paycheck/allowance and open a savings account for her. My older dd started saving early (and is a big saver and very frugal) and my younger one is using her recent birthday money to open a savings account. She is very excited about it.

lakshmi
10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I agree with Sadie. What she said.

Why do I even need to be here?

We used to take our kids to the restaurant with us. 12 hour days for all of us. Take her with you, teach her stuff about dogs and call it science. Have hubs teach her how to use a socket wrench. Get special goggles for her, kid sized.

Forget classes forget inhome daycare, it will cost too much and be frustrating. Pick a curriculum that you can take with you. Workbooks and stuff.

Deli76
10-05-2011, 12:38 AM
i have a total of 4 dogs. 2 mastiffs, bigger than me by far, and 2 weimeraners (sp?). The legalities, and how would I ask a client and how professional would it look? But then again, another sitter i know takes her 2 boys, Ya they are older, but she does do it. and believe me...i have thought about taking her. and in texas good citizenship does have to be taught... the science, the biology, earning a buck and saving, the mathemiatics going into keeping track of an account. i know the weimeraners have been around children, not too sure about the mastiffs. they are such big babies tho. Thank you so much. lots to think about! :)

Beverly
10-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I do a wee bit of print brokering for my dp's clients using contacts from my old professional days. It consumes about an hour a week on average, almost all of it email with a phone call here and there.

I am getting ready to start doing some marketing/merchandising/customer service for a friend who owns my favorite bookstore as a volunteer (who will be thanked in books!) just to keep my resume current and help her out since running an indie bookstore these days is tough business. I can't see working less than 20 hours a week doing much to mess up our homeschool schedule.

I also don't think seven is too young to have your daughter involved in your work.