PDA

View Full Version : The Real Tea thread

Stella M
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I was so excited to see a thread on 'tea'. Alas, it was spam.

I adore tea.

Everyday I drink Madura - no sugar, milk, strong.
Chai is nice too :)
Darjeeling or Orange Pekoe, never Earl Grey.

Any tea drinkers here ?

laundrycrisis
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
PG Tips, Stash Double Spice Chai, or Lapsang Souchong !

jess
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Didn't want to post on the other thread and bump the spam, but anyone else see these threads and have their mind jump to The Other Board meaning?

For that matter, bumping the spam sounds like an euphamism.

Sorry people. I shouldn't derail a perfectly legitimate thread.

Stella M
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Don't they spell it in a strange WTM way ?

Honestly, TMI over there sometimes.

MrsLOLcat
10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, they say teA. Whatever. I try to avoid those threads.

As for real tea, I usually only drink herbal... or good ol' Lipton when I'm having my tea parties. :)

Stella M
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, there's a certain subtle eroticism in modesty that some people over there haven't learned to appreciate. Ironically. Also, it's twee. Just call it sex already.

I used to be a herbal girl but at some stage I moved on to the hard core stuff :)

skrink
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Big tea drinker here! Darjeeling & English Breakfast are the favorites, always strong, usually black, sometimes with honey. I'm trying to develop a taste for green tea but I'm not quite there yet. I do have a special fondness for Earl Grey - always makes me think of Jean Luc Picard. :)

Enjoying the image of "bumping the spam", btw.

farrarwilliams
10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
My mind was also in a WTM gutter. teA indeed.

I like a good peppermint. And anything fruity. I'm not so big on proper teas. And it's suddenly cold enough to drink them here.

Ayem
10-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Another member of the tea appreciation society here. Also get very attached to a good pot that pours well. Went into mourning for a week when the spout of my vintage Denby finally went. It took years to find a replacement to match it.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Mmm...tea. Irish & English breakfast or Earl Grey with lots of cream and sugar. But that rots my teeth and the sweetness is addictive, so I try to stick with unsweetened green for my everyday tea. A ginormous mug first thing in the morning is just the thing, especially in the winter when the heat is turned down at night.

gidamom
10-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I love tea...but have coffee every morning. What thread are we talking about?? I'm lost

Beverly
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I am just now gaining an appreciation for tea. Living in the Pacific Northwest my entire life made for excellent coffee choices and terrible tea until fairly recently.
Stale English Breakfast or camomile from the grocery store holds no candle to fresh roasted Sumatra ground just before you toss it in the French-press. Besides, my first introduction to tea was Liptons. Ew.
I hope I am forgiven.

What is the best tea you've had? How was it prepared? Any secrets to the perfect cup?

Greenmother
10-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Green Tea with Jasmine. No sugar no cream.

And of course unsweetened Ice Tea in the summer with lots of crushed ice to eat.

Penguin
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
My parents always bring me Punjana teabags when they come to visit from Northern Ireland. A big bag of 1100 teabags. Yes, I said eleven hundred. :-) I like tea. With milk, no sugar. That lasts a year or so, I guess. If we run out, I can make do with Tetley British Blend or PG Tips, which are what I can get at the grocery store that taste half decent, but are way expensive compared to my personal import.

dbmamaz
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I drink chai with maple syrup and vanilla soy milk, or iced tea with a little bit of honey in the pot when i brew it (iced tea brewer)

but how on earth does teA mean sex?

jess
10-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I drink chai with maple syrup and vanilla soy milk, or iced tea with a little bit of honey in the pot when i brew it (iced tea brewer)

but how on earth does teA mean sex?
No clue.

But yeah, I'd have to say that chai is my favorite. I haven't responded to the actual content of the thread because I like a lot of different teas, herbal or otherwise, and I couldn't think of a particular tea I'd choose over others. But chai is probably it.

Jilly
10-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Heavy tea drinker here. I have a cup of Irish black tea every morning, and I have a few cups of Japanese green tea in the afternoon.

Jilly
10-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I drink chai with maple syrup and vanilla soy milk

That sounds so good. I will have to try that sometime.

Satori
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I came into this thread thinking of teA, which I never participate in those threads, but was curious to see it over here. :)

After a few free tours at Celestial Seasonings in Boulder, I started drinking their herbal Sleepytime tea. Off to make some now!

Amanadoo
10-04-2011, 12:06 AM
I drinks lots and lots of herbal tea. Green tea every day, as well. I used to looooove chai tea and suddenly I can't stand it.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I love tea...but have coffee every morning. What thread are we talking about?? I'm lost

There was a spam tea ad earlier.

Also, over on the Well Trained Mind forums, some people have threads about sex but they call it teA instead so it doesn't turn up on Google.

I am much too refined for such matters. When I say tea, I mean the drink.

Hth :)

Stella M
10-04-2011, 12:24 AM
What is the best tea you've had? How was it prepared? Any secrets to the perfect cup?

Best tea is the morning cuppa :)

Must be in a pot. You have to warm the pot with warm water while the kettle boils. Tip out the warm water and add a teaspoon of tea leaves for each person and one for the pot. Once the kettle has come to a boil, let it sit about 30 sec. you don't want to pour boiling water over the leaves. Pour in water, put lid and tea cosy on. Leave about 3 min, then swirl the leaves by turning the pot around a bit.

Pour out. Must be china cup, never pottery. Add milk second.

OK. I get blissed out just writing it.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 12:26 AM

Yum. Seriously yum. I'm going to go and make that chai now.

lakshmi
10-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Sumatra tea, it is a dark almost bean like tea. It takes about the same time to brew, uh, I mean steep. Cream and sugar....

But the only other kind of tea I like is SWEET TEA... and I like jasmine tea from Rishi, and a silver needle or gold or something I got as a gift while in China. That rocked. But the ooolong, dark teas, I say non.

teA means sex? who talks about sex? I am going to have to go read these teA threads. I am just not thinking this is real, someone post some links fast.
I like HOT teA like that sort of thing? I like Polish teA? Or really dark teA... Okay, Off I go to find some teA.

Yep, there's a certain subtle eroticism in modesty that some people over there haven't learned to appreciate. Ironically. Also, it's twee. Just call it sex already.

I used to be a herbal girl but at some stage I moved on to the hard core stuff :)

this made me laugh, teA and hardcore in the same post, sort of threw me off a little.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
You got my joke :)

No, don't go! It's all about who waxes for their hubbies over there. Vomit.

Sumatra tea, yum. I need to try that.

lakshmi
10-04-2011, 12:40 AM
ergh, can't tell if you didn't get my joke or purposefully obsfucating.

I went on a little google journey just then....
http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/FIST2004-1/X0265_MOPS_Mendacious_Obs1.html
http://www.subgenius.com/

I just wanted to know how to spell a word, and i ended up an ordained minister in Southeast asia.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 01:15 AM
I don't think I'm vapidly erudite in search of an audience, but you never know. Could be I'm just thick :)

jess
10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
teA means sex? who talks about sex? I am going to have to go read these teA threads. I am just not thinking this is real, someone post some links fast.
I like HOT teA like that sort of thing? I like Polish teA? Or really dark teA... Okay, Off I go to find some teA.
And then you get newbies saying things like "I like to get my tea ice cold at the McDonald's drive-through.

(The original tea post on this board was spam from someone who said "Hey, I'm a newbie! Check out my tea-selling website!")

JinxieFox
10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Basically, I like mint tea, vanilla-caramel tea, chocolate tea, and regular Lyons Quick Brew (with loads of sugar in it). I *hate* iced tea with a passion. It's obvious that I am not from the south. ;)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I never heard iced tea called "sweet tea" until I visited my parents after they moved to Florida. Mmm... sweet tea, hush puppies, and fried grouper. Nom.

MrsLOLcat
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Iced tea and sweet tea are two different things. I refuse to drink either of them, but DH likes iced tea. He hates sweet tea. When he gets tea at a restaurant, he has to make sure he specifies "UNsweet tea."

You know you live in the South when you can buy sweet tea in gallon jugs (the kind milk comes in). ;)

Shoe
10-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I was so excited to see a thread on 'tea'. Alas, it was spam.

I adore tea.

Everyday I drink Madura - no sugar, milk, strong.
Chai is nice too :)
Darjeeling or Orange Pekoe, never Earl Grey.

Any tea drinkers here ?

I like a lot of teas, although I drink mostly Earl Grey. Darjeeling is good too.

Shoe
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Best tea is the morning cuppa :)

Must be in a pot. You have to warm the pot with warm water while the kettle boils. Tip out the warm water and add a teaspoon of tea leaves for each person and one for the pot. Once the kettle has come to a boil, let it sit about 30 sec. you don't want to pour boiling water over the leaves. Pour in water, put lid and tea cosy on. Leave about 3 min, then swirl the leaves by turning the pot around a bit.

Pour out. Must be china cup, never pottery. Add milk second.

OK. I get blissed out just writing it.

The best tea I ever had was made in a metal pot over a campfire-boiling water, cheap orange pekoe tea bags, and a metal cup. No milk, no sugar, no lemon. But I was on a cold, wet survival course, and was cold, hungry and tired-a cup of straight tea and a little plain white rice both tasted wonderful.

jess
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
The best tea I ever had was made in a metal pot over a campfire-boiling water, cheap orange pekoe tea bags, and a metal cup. No milk, no sugar, no lemon. But I was on a cold, wet survival course, and was cold, hungry and tired-a cup of straight tea and a little plain white rice both tasted wonderful.

This reminds me... did anyone else drink "Russian Tea" on campouts as a kid?

Powdered iced tea, tang, and red hots. I remember it being really good, but it sounds totally revolting now.

(Gosh, I'm really doing my part to up the classiness of this thread, aren't I?)

TamaraNC
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Iced tea and sweet tea are two different things. I refuse to drink either of them, but DH likes iced tea. He hates sweet tea. When he gets tea at a restaurant, he has to make sure he specifies "UNsweet tea."

So, I don't know if they do it everywhere, but the Subway restaurants here sell Sweet Tea and Unsweet Tea in big urns near the soda fountain. I was trying to cut back on Diet Coke, so I ordered a tea and got some unsweet. But it tasted sweet, so I innocently mentioned to the teenager behind the counter that maybe they mixed up their containers. No, she said, "We put sweetener in the Unsweet Tea." What? She showed me the packet. It's a like a 4x size sugar packet that has written on it "Sweetener for Unsweet Tea."

I totally get that. To this day, the best meal I've EVER had was twenty years ago after three days of fasting in the wilds: a small bowl of oatmeal with dried apples and a strong cup of coffee.

Off to make a big cup of tea, mixed Green and Mint.

dbmamaz
10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I read somewhere that sweet tea is supposed to be made . . idk, theres something about dissolving the sugar in the hot water first? i didnt get it when i read it.

Crabby Lioness
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
We drink 3 gallons of iced tea every two days, plus hot tea in cold weather.

The iced tea is black tea flavored with herbs from the garden, including chocolate mint, bee balm, dianthus flowers, pineapple sage, stevia, peppermint, spearmint and lemon balm. I'm hoping to get a pineapple mint later this month. I've just planted 11 more dianthus, and there's 9 more dianthus and three more bee balm waiting to be planted.

We drink all kinds of hot tea except for chai. I love English Breakfast in the morning, Constent Comment in the afternoon, and herb tea at bedtime.

Crabby Lioness
10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I read somewhere that sweet tea is supposed to be made . . idk, theres something about dissolving the sugar in the hot water first? i didnt get it when i read it.

Sweet tea is usually made by the gallon. You put one-two cups of water in your container and add the sugar, stir until dissolved. Then you use an enamel-inside, glass, or steel pot to heat more water for the tea. When that water is boiling, take it off the heat and add your tea bags (and herbs, in my case). After it finishes steeping, remove the bags and add the flavored tea to the sugar water. Add more water or ice until you have one gallon. Refrigerate.

farrarwilliams
10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
At my grandmother's in south Georgia "tea" does indeed mean sweet tea which is (only a slight exaggeration) one part iced tea and one part sugar.

Crabby Lioness
10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
At my grandmother's in south Georgia "tea" does indeed mean sweet tea which is (only a slight exaggeration) one part iced tea and one part sugar.

My kid sister used to drink her iced tea with four spoonfuls of sugar. We'd ask her if she wanted some tea with her sugar.

bibiche
10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I had no idea that tea meant something different in the WTM world, so of course I immediately went and did a search for it there. Very good laugh.

I am fond of most tea. My usual cup is English or Irish Breakfast, but there is always some Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Russian Caravan, Jasmine, and Mango tea in the house and usually some others as well. One has to have lots of tea on hand in order to match one's tea to one's tea time snack! And though not a real tea, I always have linden tea in the house. DS likes it too.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I love English Breakfast in the morning, Constent Comment in the afternoon, and herb tea at bedtime.

Love Constant Comment! I drink the Constant Comment green tea every morning.

dbmamaz
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I did a lot of constant comment before I found my stash chai

Crabby Lioness
10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Constant Comment is my fallback flavoring agent for iced tea when I can't get out to my garden. I slip one bag of it in with the regular bags.

Riceball_Mommy
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm happy to see this thread, I was expecting something like this when I saw the spam thread. Anyway I've been trying different tea lately. I loved Monk's Blend, but I wasn't able to get anymore this year on vacation. We did pick up a tea variety pack from a different brand. I'm working on trying all the different kinds in that. So far Mad Tea Party Blend is my new favorite tea. I'm curious how that would taste as iced tea.
As for iced tea/sweet tea, I like iced tea that doesn't have much of tea taste. My husband made the Paula Deen sweet lemon tea recipe and that was pretty good, of course I added extra sugar to my glass. I'm probably one of those tea with my sugar type people :)

Mum
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
The Korean Market up the street from me sells straight ginger tea which I've had a hard time finding anywhere else. I like to add it to whatever other tea I'm drinking.

A while back I had an inspiration with it - Before cooking peas, I made a pot of ginger tea to drink. I decided to use the tea to steam the peas. Then I added a little honey and hoisin sauce. Those peas were like candy!

Anyone else use tea in their cooking?

Stella M
10-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh, that sounds delish!

I use tea in baking. Fruit cakes where you soak the fruit in tea or scones. But I haven't experimented with tea in savoury dishes.

jess
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Anyone else use tea in their cooking?
I made lime jello with green tea and coconut milk recently, if that counts. Which it probably doesn't, since Jello isn't cooking.

(I'm really not sure why this thread is doing this to me...)

We need more tea. Preferably herbal, so I can drink it later in the day and because I really need to cut back on my caffeine intake. We have four boxes of Breathe Easy, and green and black tea, bur nothing non-medicinal except dried mint from our garden. So I have a cup of Breathe Easy/dried mint brewing right now.

I noticed that they had the holiday flavors up when I was at the store yesterday. Seems a bit early!

Mum
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I made lime jello with green tea and coconut milk recently, if that counts. Which it probably doesn't, since Jello isn't cooking.

In my world jello definitely counts as cooking. That actually sounds really good.

dbmamaz
10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
The only time I cook w tea is when I open up a bag of mint herbal tea to put in my tabouleh . . .

gidamom
10-04-2011, 10:52 PM
There was a spam tea ad earlier.

Also, over on the Well Trained Mind forums, some people have threads about sex but they call it teA instead so it doesn't turn up on Google.

I am much too refined for such matters. When I say tea, I mean the drink.

Hth :)

Thanks Melissa!! I was so confused! and now I can't stop laughing like a dork between your and lakshmi's posts about teA..hee hee

gidamom
10-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh BTW, any suggestions on which to try first to substitute my morning coffee???

jess
10-04-2011, 11:17 PM
In my world jello definitely counts as cooking. That actually sounds really good.
The tea wasn't really noticeable at all, but I love coconut milk in jello (replacing the cold water). I almost always make it that way. Adding some cocoa powder to compatible flavors tastes wonderful.

On inspiration of this thread, I threw a green tea bag into the sauce I was making for the fish tonight. It ended up tasting good, but I'm not sure how much the tea really added.

lakshmi
10-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I never heard iced tea called "sweet tea" until I visited my parents after they moved to Florida. Mmm... sweet tea, hush puppies, and fried grouper. Nom.

nom nom nom...nom.

You know you live in the South when you can buy sweet tea in gallon jugs (the kind milk comes in). ;)

I love sweet teA! Your husband hates sweet teA? hmmm..... ;)

This reminds me... did anyone else drink "Russian Tea" on campouts as a kid?

Powdered iced tea, tang, and red hots. I remember it being really good, but it sounds totally revolting now.

(Gosh, I'm really doing my part to up the classiness of this thread, aren't I?)

lol.. that sounds so f'n nasty, I would so barf, but I am so intrigues that I want to try it.. Do they make tang still? I want to cross post this to facebook but will likely irritate someone by calling it Russian Tea... What a product of the cold war we were..

So, I don't know if they do it everywhere, but the Subway restaurants here sell Sweet Tea and Unsweet Tea in big urns near the soda fountain. I was trying to cut back on Diet Coke, so I ordered a tea and got some unsweet. But it tasted sweet, so I innocently mentioned to the teenager behind the counter that maybe they mixed up their containers. No, she said, "We put sweetener in the Unsweet Tea." What? She showed me the packet. It's a like a 4x size sugar packet that has written on it "Sweetener for Unsweet Tea."

that is so gross and stupid... Sweetener for unsweet tea... lmao. We are so stupid. Why do Americans put sweetener in the large container of unsweet tea. At our restaurant, I used to roll my eyes, literally, no wonder we weren't busy, at the ladies asking for sweeteners. They'd pull them out of their purse. insane. We had an off brand, these ladies wanted specific brands. WTF?

I thought this was about making a simple syrup but then someone below posted about the two cups of water and dissolve sugar first. We make unsweet tea, FOR REALS, then add simple syrup to them. nom nom nom, I love Sweet TEA!!!!

Oh BTW, any suggestions on which to try first to substitute my morning coffee???

You could try the SUMATRA tea that I drink. ;)

Have I said it enough yet, I love sweet tea.

lakshmi
10-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Just for good measure.... I love sweet teA!

jess
10-05-2011, 12:21 AM
lol.. that sounds so f'n nasty, I would so barf, but I am so intrigues that I want to try it.. Do they make tang still? I want to cross post this to facebook but will likely irritate someone by calling it Russian Tea... What a product of the cold war we were..
I found some recipes that use lemonade powder instead/in addition if they don't make tang...

Now I'm trying to remember if the kind we had in Girl Scouts had lemonade powder as well. Also, most have added sugar, and use just cinnamon (and often cloves) instead of red hots. But that ain't right! Why use the real thing when you could utilize an artificial substitute?

I have this urge to buy Saigon cinnamon (speaking of outdated place names...), which apparently what cinnamon candy actually tastes like. That, and vanilla pods to make homemade vanilla extract that doesn't have HFCS in it.

Crabby Lioness
10-05-2011, 01:06 AM
They still make Tang. I keep some made up for our backup auxiliary drink in case we run out of everything else, and for my "just-finished-nursing-at-3am-and-am-parched-and-need-something-quick-tangy-and-caffeine-free-so-I-can-get-back-to-sleep" drink.

Stella M
10-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Just for good measure.... I love sweet teA!

Sweet is nice but spicy is better...

dottieanna29
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
I love tea, don't drink coffee at all. I requested (and received) an electric tea kettle for my birthday so I could stop using the microwave for one cup at a time. I drink a mix of one tea bag regular Lipton and one Green tea bag every morning. Since I'm on a diet, it's one teaspoon Truvia, some fiber (only in the first cup) and a squirt of honey. I can't stand the taste of green tea but this makes it bearable and I'm going for the health benefits (plus its required on my diet).

I also have a variety of regular and decaf teas to drink all day long - Earl Gray, English Breakfast, Camomile, China Oolong. I have a box of teas that DH brought home from China that I haven't tried yet. I love the Vanilla Chai tea from Dunkin Donuts but haven't been able to duplicate it at home yet (any suggestions??). I usually like my hot tea very sweet (multiple spoons of sugar and honey) but I like my iced tea unsweetened. Or at least, I like to add my own sugar. Pre-made sweet tea tastes like syrup to me. Yuck.

I grew up drinking tea with my grandma. Very sweet with lots of milk. My youngest loves tea and whenever she sees me drinking it will ask for her own cup.

Crabby Lioness
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Sweet and spicy is best! :D

TamaraNC
10-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Where's the waggling eyebrows smiley?

Busygoddess
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm pickier about my coffee than I am about my tea. I find that coffee has more chance of tasting nasty.

We actually drink a lot of tea here. Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, and English Breakfast are staples. I buy Lipton bags only for making Sun Tea. We almost always have some herbal teas around. Right now, I believe it's Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time, for Dea. We also have some Chai, I love Chai. We currently have a few from Cameron's - Mango Tropical and Rooibos.

We bought a coffee maker just for making tea (we have a separate one for coffee). With the teas that don't have bags & instead need tea balls, we use the coffee maker just to heat the water (we did have a kettle, but dd melted it). When making tea with bags, though, we'll toss the bags into the coffee maker & make a whole pot of it.

Usually, I drink my tea without adding anything to it. If I do add something, though, it's a little bit of flavored coffee creamer.

dbmamaz
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
hmm, we need a coffee thread . . .

Mum2rc
10-07-2011, 10:23 AM
definitely a tea drinker, coffee on the other hand is one of the worst smells.

cream Earl grey, market spice, jasmine, mostly I drink loose tea but recently found good earth sweet and spicy roobis bagged yes but oh so yummy

must have milk if it is a black tea ( prefer cream but that adds too much to the waistline)