PDA

View Full Version : Homeschoolers and Political Campaigns

Crabby Lioness
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm just going to leave this here:

Homeschoolers emerge as Republican foot soldiers

Now if someone could please give me the address of the local Green Party candidate, I feel like volunteering for something.

ETA: Here's the raw link: http://news.yahoo.com/homeschoolers-emerge-republican-foot-soldiers-191031606.html

Stella M
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Random screaming noise that goes on for a long time while I pull out great chunks of my hair.

And you did see the 'Homescholers For whoever it was' sign, yes ? Disagreeing with my politics I can tolerate. Painting us all with the brush of conservatism makes me cranky. But spelling mistakes that make us all look stupid while you are doing it ? Unforgivable.

Crabby Lioness
10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Random screaming noise that goes on for a long time while I pull out great chunks of my hair.

And you did see the 'Homescholers For whoever it was' sign, yes ? Disagreeing with my politics I can tolerate. Painting us all with the brush of conservatism makes me cranky. But spelling mistakes that make us all look stupid while you are doing it ? Unforgivable.

The level of civility and reason displayed in the average news article comments is literally mind-numbing. Do these people inject Novocaine into their skulls before going online?

Years ago I would have waded in believing that somewhere someone rational was reading them. Not anymore.

Stella M
10-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I get too scared to read comments. I live in a bubble where I think most people are reasonable. And smart. But most people are not. Not in comment world, anyway.

farrarwilliams
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
The link was broken for me. But one thing I found interesting in the recent Cardus study was the fact that religious homeschoolers are apparently *less* politically involved on the whole than Christians as a whole. Milton Gaither's blog Homeschool Research Notes had a nice analysis of the study (http://gaither.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/the-cardus-education-survey-and-homeschooling/) in regards to homeschoolers. It was striking to me considering stories like that as well as HSLDA's push for homeschool political action with conservative candidates.

Stella M
10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
The ones who aren't are probably the ones who are staying at home to work on their spelling!

But that isn't really surprising. I would guess that homeschoolers of all persuasions might be less likely to be involved in politics and political action because they are already extremely committed, time and energy wise, at home.

And because homeschoolers tend to be focused on creating change at the micro level - in their families - rather than at a macro level.

But that's just an opinion. I have absolutely nothing to back it up!

Crabby Lioness
10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
The link was broken for me. But one thing I found interesting in the recent Cardus study was the fact that religious homeschoolers are apparently *less* politically involved on the whole than Christians as a whole. Milton Gaither's blog Homeschool Research Notes had a nice analysis of the study (http://gaither.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/the-cardus-education-survey-and-homeschooling/) in regards to homeschoolers. It was striking to me considering stories like that as well as HSLDA's push for homeschool political action with conservative candidates.

Thanks for the analysis. Here's the raw link: http://news.yahoo.com/homeschoolers-emerge-republican-foot-soldiers-191031606.html

Christy
10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow... reading thast article I find myself wondering how many homeschoolers realize the HSLD fund is tied in with republican politics. Eeeeek.

I'm going to be spending part of most days this week volunteering with the NDP party here in Ontario, since the election is Thursday. This is the second campaign I`ve been helping with, having done some door to door canvasing for the federal election last spring. That said, I can`t do much because I really don`t have much time. I can`t help wondering... how would any homeschooling parent really be that desirable for parties? And yet I can see it in many places.... I can see how they would be useful. And how many homeschoolers do have an anti-government attitude that would help for republicans. Many, but not all.

It is wierd the assumptions people make about homeschoolers. When I was driving people to go vote last election someone asked why I had all my kids in the car with me, and I explained that we were homeschooling. And the person said that my homeschooling tells her what my religion was. Back to the all homeschoolers are Christian assumption. I didn`t argue, because I don`t argue with people I`m driving to go vote.

Greenmother
10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
More than a few Christian homeschoolers I have met were really turned off by statements of faith required by some groups, so I imagine that their politics might be different from expected too.

As for the rest, well that's a common tactic in nature. To attempt to appear larger and more organized than one is in actuality.

Beverly
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Hmmm...
And here I am debating on wether or not to ditch the homeschool potluck lunch to take my kiddos down to the local Wall Street protest. That was before we met the other homeschool family at the coffee shop today who said they couldn't do the potluck because they would be protesting.
Maybe we should make a sign AND spell every thing on it correctly.

Stella M
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh, go! But yes, correct spelling would be appreciated :)

Crabby Lioness
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
The nearest protest I know is over an hour away in another state.

It was a cool protest though: http://serenityhome.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/jericho-walk/

Greenmother
10-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Wow. They are making a lot of arrests so have emergency contact cards in kid's pockets.

Beverly
10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
I am expecting things to actually be pretty chilled out. I live in Portland, Oregon for goodness sakes. Still the contact info for the kids is important. Thanks for the suggestion Greenmother!
After reading the website, I think the kids and I will go down on Friday with food for those who can be steady occupiers. It will give me a chance to see how things are playing out so I can be sure we are not putting ourselves in harms way and give the kids a solid sense of contributing something tangible (even if it is just pb&J sandwiches). Also, our cooking and nutrition class with the students from the naturopathic college is Thursday night, so we may be allowed to take the leftovers from class down there as well.

I think I will have a sign for my daughter that says, "I'm only four and I know how to share!" And one for for my son that says "Playing fair is not just for kids!" Nothing super profound, but concepts that they can grasp.

Crabby, that protest looked very sweet!

Also, there are tons of Occupy demonstrations/protests going on so there might be one close to where ever you are: http://www.occupytogether.org/

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Also, there are tons of Occupy demonstrations/protests going on so there might be one close to where ever you are: http://www.occupytogether.org/

I can't get this link to work. The site address has a black box before the http. What does that mean I wonder? Could this site have been blocked or am I just paranoid?

Beverly
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Accidental Homeschooler, I just tried the link from your reply and it worked fine, though I did see the black box you were referred to. I think it is just a stand in for whatever software logo would go there because they didn't want to create an icon for the site - not worth the energy. I hope it hasn't been blocked, that would be scary!

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks! I don't know why I was getting a blank screen. I am glad it is not blocked, though now I have to face the fact that I am paranoid.

Greenmother
10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
You aren't paranoid. There are truly all sorts of info wars going on online, all the time about stuff like this. And often times the worst end is well funded. Last week Yahoo got busted bouncing only e-mails that were for OWS protesters. It was in the regular news and everything. And you don't even want to know what other less respectable groups have been up to online. Which reminds, me I need to add the yahoo story to my censorship collection.
Thanks Accidental Homeschooler!

And good idea with the food. I have done that and usually people are pretty appreciative.

Lak001
10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I bet those Wall street executives are making plans to flee the country now. I really do hope those found guilty are punished. Wish I was in NY right now. Right in the middle of all the action. I LOVE protests :)

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I bet those Wall street executives are making plans to flee the country now. I really do hope those found guilty are punished. Wish I was in NY right now. Right in the middle of all the action. I LOVE protests :)

Not planning to flee the country yet,

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/09/29/1021400/-Wall-Street-executives-watch-protests-while-drinking-champagne-from-balconies-(literally)

seraphina
10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I am taking a couple of my kids down to our local Occupy protest tomorrow after our co-op. And I promise to bring no misspelled signs.