PDA

View Full Version : Virtual EARTH SCOUTS Troop

kristinabrooke
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
EARTH SCOUTS! Would anyone be interested in having a Virtual Earth Scouts troop? I was thinking we could choose which badges we would go for and have virtual meetings via Google+ Hangouts or something.

ETA: If you are interested, please PM me your email address so that I can send you all of the info that they sent me. It would be easier than waiting for them to email you!

ETA2: If you have PM me I try to send the info within 24 hours. Please check your spam folder if you do not see it.

This is the Email I received from the new director who seems really supportive:

Kristina,
The idea of a virtual group is awesome! Any way I may support you in that effort, I would be very happy to do so.

There are no registration fees paid to the Earth Scouts to establish a group. Some facilitators, however, institute a fee per child to cover costs of materials, field trip expenses, activities, etc. if applicable.

Presently, groups do not register with us, but facilitators have been requesting that we offer general liability & accident insurance for groups. We will begin to do so in January and will have a sign-up/registration process for groups that wish to purchase the insurance. The anticipated cost of insurance is $12 per child for 12 months of coverage.

Our new website & group forum, which will feature additional tools & resources, are being built now. In the interim, please check the Facebook link below for news, updates and activity ideas. Also, please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas so other facilitators can learn about your newly forming group.

All Good Wishes & Happy Scouting,

Misann Ellmaker
Director, Earth Scouts, Earth Charter U.S.
(727) 741-1594
[email protected]

Beverly
10-02-2011, 05:11 PM
That sounds like it could be lots of fun! I would need to either get a web cam or ask to schedule the meetings when dp is not using the camera for work.

ps. I sent you my email address so I get the Earth Scouts info from you.

Greenmother
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Me me me !!!!!!!!!

Omg you are so awesome kristinabrooke!

Kristina--Please let me know how I can assist you in making this happen.

I think this would be really cool and I hope others on this forum or of a like mind will show interest and get involved. :)

coloradoalice
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I think we would be interested. I'd need to know exactly what the commitment involves time wise but I'm pretty sure it's something we could do.

dottieanna29
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I think this would be really fun. Is Google Hangouts a Skype-type thing? Video and/or audio or would it be more a instant messaging kind of thing?

DragonFaerie
10-02-2011, 08:03 PM
That sounds cool! I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about it.

kristinabrooke
10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
That sounds like it could be lots of fun! I would need to either get a web cam or ask to schedule the meetings when dp is not using the camera for work.

ps. I sent you my email address so I get the Earth Scouts info from you.

Great! I will send you all of the info and we could definitely be flexile with the schedule.

Me me me !!!!!!!!!

Omg you are so awesome kristinabrooke!

Kristina--Please let me know how I can assist you in making this happen.

I think this would be really cool and I hope others on this forum or of a like mind will show interest and get involved. :) Awesome! I would love the help. I will PM you my number and maybe we can chat so that we can figure it out. Also PM me your email address and I will send you all of the Earth Scout info that they sent me!

I think we would be interested. I'd need to know exactly what the commitment involves time wise but I'm pretty sure it's something we could do. Definitely! Please DM me and I will send you the info that they sent me too.

I think this would be really fun. Is Google Hangouts a Skype-type thing? Video and/or audio or would it be more a instant messaging kind of thing? Yes, Google Hangouts is like Skype and private and easy to use. I think that would be the best way but am definitely open to suggestions. Please DM me your email address and I will send you all of the info.

That sounds cool! I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about it. So glad! PM and I will send you the info!

Beverly
10-02-2011, 08:55 PM
As a side note, I would be willing to set up a private WordPress site that all the parents can post to. That way we can have an online place the kids can to marvel at eachother's accomplishments, track group projects, etc. If it is a virtual group, it might be nice to have a place the kids can "go" that isn't confined to meetings, but can still be private to just participants.

kristinabrooke
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
As a side note, I would be willing to set up a private WordPress site that all the parents can post to. That way we can have an online place the kids can to marvel at eachother's accomplishments, track group projects, etc. If it is a virtual group, it might be nice to have a place the kids can "go" that isn't confined to meetings, but can still be private to just participants.

That's awesome. I was thinking about setting one up but don't have my computer so web design is out of the question for now. That would be great. I am trying to get all the addresses together so that I can email you all the info.

LovingMyChildren
10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
We'd love to be "in". I'll message you Kristina. Thanks for the idea and the organization.

WallFlower
10-03-2011, 01:33 AM
How fun! We've been looking for a boyscout/girlscout alternative that both kids could do. :)

Topsy
10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Kristina,
Once you get the final details ironed out, let me know if you want to promote it on the home page. We could create an article about it? I'd also be happy to promote it on our social networks...

Topsy

Riceball_Mommy
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I'll be sending you a PM because I definitely would like to know more, even though right now I don't have a webcam, and I'm not quite ready to be on G+. I do like the Wordpress site idea though.

CatInTheSun
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Could you post the basic info here? (What it it, costs, time commitments, activities)

PetVet
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Could you post the basic info here? (What it it, costs, time commitments, activities)

Yes, please.

Amanadoo
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Yes, please, plus how old the kids should be. DS is only (almost)four, is that too young?

Ayem
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
This sounds like it could really fun! I will PM you, kristina, what a great idea. I'm assuming that international members will be okay? We may have to wake up in the middle of the night for meetings. :D Hopefully we could make it work for us.
Thank you.

And I hope your computer is healing.

skrink
10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll be sending you a PM because I definitely would like to know more, even though right now I don't have a webcam, and I'm not quite ready to be on G+. I do like the Wordpress site idea though.

Same here. Thanks for setting this up! :)

barefootbabies
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I saw on the site that earth scouts was open to those 3 and above, would this virtual group be geared more for older kids, or would my little guy be able to get anything out of it?

ercswf
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I will send you my email. I would be interested in some basic information before I can make a commitment. I was poking around earth scouts website and could not get much information on it.

WindSong
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I am very interested, Kristina. It sounds like an incredible organization. I will pm you with my email address. Thank you for organizing this!

kristinabrooke
10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Kristina,
Once you get the final details ironed out, let me know if you want to promote it on the home page. We could create an article about it? I'd also be happy to promote it on our social networks...
Topsy

Definitely! I will let you know ASAP.

Kristina

kristinabrooke
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Holy Cow! I am so excited that so many are interested. Here are the answers to some of your questions:

(1) Age: I was thinking we could do all ages starting with 3. My daughter is 5 so I would focus on the 3-8 and then someone else could manage the next age group and so on.

(2) Time commitment: I was thinking 2 a month we would "meet" and plan the activities.

(3) Cost: not sure yet! Looking for this too.

(4)Google+: We don't have to use Google Hangouts. We could do skype or something else. Google Hangouts is just very easy (no software required) and allows group video chat.

(5)Activities: There are so many. For those of you who PM'd me today, I will send the info ASAP as that will explain it better than I ever could.

Hope this helps!

lovelymama2
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I sent you a PM with my email. I think this would be great. We have a little girl who'll be 6 in November so it's perfect for her. Thanks!

Greenmother
10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I can see why they have it divided by age in the regular world, but I wonder if they would make an exception with us? Since we are homeschoolers and virtual.

Just a thought. Because I have a 5 and 9 yr old. So I am in the middle of everything.

kristinabrooke
10-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I can see why they have it divided by age in the regular world, but I wonder if they would make an exception with us? Since we are homeschoolers and virtual.

Just a thought. Because I have a 5 and 9 yr old. So I am in the middle of everything.

Honestly, I don't think age matters per se. It seems that it would make sense to start at the beginning and continue straight through. Besides, some of the lessons say to use earlier lessons to help explain concepts....

I did email and ask for their advice on the matter.

I have tons of questions for everyone who is interested but I wanted to give people a chance to read through the material and hopefully get my computer back as I am using my husband's and he started using words like "hog" and "usurper"...

koalaborg
10-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I would be interested. I've been on their list and website as they go through the transition away from the official charter to become Planet Earth Scouts, and was feeling a little bummed that there wasn't a local group we could get involved in.

Penguin
10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I might be interested, would definitely love to find out more! Will pm you my email.

kristinabrooke
10-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I would be interested. I've been on their list and website as they go through the transition away from the official charter to become Planet Earth Scouts, and was feeling a little bummed that there wasn't a local group we could get involved in.

I might be interested, would definitely love to find out more! Will pm you my email.

I sent you both an email! Let me know if it is something you'd want to do.

zcat
10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Could you provide a link to somewhere with info on what Earth Scouts is?

I went searching but found a few different sites using the search words "Earth Scouts" and couldn't really figure out which was the right group/site or what Earth Scouts do.

We might be interested. My dd is 11.

kristinabrooke
10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Could you provide a link to somewhere with info on what Earth Scouts is?

I went searching but found a few different sites using the search words "Earth Scouts" and couldn't really figure out which was the right group/site or what Earth Scouts do.

We might be interested. My dd is 11.

Sure. Here you go! http://www.earthcharterus.org/ecus-youthchildren/earth-scouts

CatInTheSun
10-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Now I'm confused -- there seems to be an "Earth Scouts" by US Charter and a separate "Planet Earth Scouts"...and you're saying gthey'r ere ally the same, just changing? Can you provide any additional info on this?

koalaborg
10-08-2011, 01:06 AM
so apparently there are the earth scouts officially associated with earth charter USA. this summer there was an issue with a fair amount of people who were involved and felt there wasn't enough support of the earth scouts program from ECUS and decided to remove themselves from under the ECUS. Because they cant use the name Earth Scouts they decided with member input to rename to Planet Earth Scouts.

I was looking at the Earth Scouts facebook page as the earth scouts website is under construction. the new director seems pretty active.

this virtual group would be earth scouts of the earth charter US, and not of the breakaway group Planet Earth Scouts.

Greenmother
10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Wow, we aren't even official, and there has already been a schism.

;)

kristinabrooke
10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
so apparently there are the earth scouts officially associated with earth charter USA. this summer there was an issue with a fair amount of people who were involved and felt there wasn't enough support of the earth scouts program from ECUS and decided to remove themselves from under the ECUS. Because they cant use the name Earth Scouts they decided with member input to rename to Planet Earth Scouts.

I was looking at the Earth Scouts facebook page as the earth scouts website is under construction. the new director seems pretty active.

this virtual group would be earth scouts of the earth charter US, and not of the breakaway group Planet Earth Scouts.

Yes, the new director is very active. I want to stay under the Earth Charter because I like that it is religion-free. When factions break off and start doing what they "WANT" to do, somehow religion creeps in. LOL

lakshmi
10-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, we aren't even official, and there has already been a schism.

;)
hee hee hee..

I think I might be in. But not sure, because I am suspicious of large groups and exuberance. And quite frankly commitment.

kristinabrooke
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone. I would like to get a head count of who is in and the age range. Also, if you have any suggestions as to how to best organize this, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

DragonFaerie
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
We will probably at least try it, two kids: DS8 and DD10. Obviously it's better for me if they can be in the same group, preferably the older kids'.

ginnyjf
10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
hee hee hee..

I think I might be in. But not sure, because I am suspicious of large groups and exuberance. And quite frankly commitment.

My thoughts exactly! I was interested in Earth Scouts until I learned about the breakaway groups and infighting and bleh. That's one of the many, many things I don't miss about traditional schooling.

coloradoalice
10-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to give it a go! DD is 7 and DS is 5.

Riceball_Mommy
10-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm in for giving it a try too, my daughter is 6.

lakshmi
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
My thoughts exactly! I was interested in Earth Scouts until I learned about the breakaway groups and infighting and bleh. That's one of the many, many things I don't miss about traditional schooling.

But I am into peer pressure. Ginny if you do it I'll do it.

But seriously, if it costs more than $0 I won't be able to do it. I am on a spending hiatus. But if it's free then, ages 6 & 7 girls

Beverly
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
dd 4
ds 6

WallFlower
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM
We're in! Ds 7 and dd 5.

kristinabrooke
10-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Ok, great everyone. At this point I don't think it should cost anything. They do recommend books, but I found a few at the library. Would it be best to start it ASAP or do you want to wait a little while? I would love so feedback on what you think will work best. Here are my initial thoughts

(1) Combine ages 3-10 with a variety of activities that will provide a challenge for all ages groups. Each parent can provide a mini-lesson and an activity based on area of interest.
(2) Have an online meeting 2x a month allowing for us to share our experiences and thoughts. I would love to d a video chat some how and allow the children to share with each other as desired. We will decide as a group which badges to earn etc.
(3) Lessons, activities can be shared via here or WordPress blog

What do you think?

Jackielyn
10-11-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm down...sounds like a good plan. I'm pretty easy to please, so if the majority want to wait a little bit I'm ok with that...or if we want to get started now I'm cool with that too :) I will just wait and see!

koalaborg
10-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Here are a few thoughts I have:

There are no hard rules associated with earning badges and activities so we really have the freedom to do what we want. Having the Charter material gives us a good stepping off point though. There are five badges to earn - and no strict guidelines on how to go about earning them. We should decide what is our protocol to earn them, and do we want to do some sort of sub-topic badge or pin or something. There are several activities listed in the curriculum for example that would pertain to Respect for Nature, but only a single badge.

I'm pretty excited to get started, but think it would probably be good to spend a couple to few weeks planning things before actually starting. We should decide on what our online situation will be - do we want to set up a wordpress blog, a google+ circle, or maybe a facebook secret group? we should consider which option will give us all the ability to post material to share with the rest of the group, since the projects will be completed independently.

ok that's all I got at 330 AM...

lakshmi
10-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Vote for FB secret group.

zcat
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Sure. Here you go! http://www.earthcharterus.org/ecus-youthchildren/earth-scouts
Thanks for the link.

lovelymama2
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I have a girl who'll be 6 in November, she's in.
I also think the facebook page would work really well. It's hard to keep track of everything and that would get everything all together on one page. It would help to get myself organized because I have no idea what's going on usually.

zcat
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Ok, great everyone. At this point I don't think it should cost anything. They do recommend books, but I found a few at the library. Would it be best to start it ASAP or do you want to wait a little while? I would love so feedback on what you think will work best. Here are my initial thoughts

(1) Combine ages 3-10 with a variety of activities that will provide a challenge for all ages groups. Each parent can provide a mini-lesson and an activity based on area of interest.
(2) Have an online meeting 2x a month allowing for us to share our experiences and thoughts. I would love to d a video chat some how and allow the children to share with each other as desired. We will decide as a group which badges to earn etc.

What do you think?

Dd is 11 and says she will try it. No rush to get started with activities.
We aren't set up to do a video chat. My dd likes the idea of a blog to share & post with the group.
Could we just set up a group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group) on this site for now and then see if we need to move to something else later? That way it is associated with the Secular Homeschool site and other people can find it easily if they wish to join in.

Is there some kind of handbook for the Earth Scouts? What are the badges? What kind of parental involvement is expected?

Valerie
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
We may be interested in this also. I have been looking for a scouting group, and this could be fun. It would be dd3 and ds8 both participating.

Thanks for setting this up!

coloradoalice
10-13-2011, 01:17 AM

What do you think?

Sounds good to me and starting whenever is good with us!!

angye
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm an unschooling mom, and just did a search to find an earth scouts troop to join and found this great site! My daughter is turning 6 next week and would love to be a part of it.

Jeni
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm interested. Ds is 3 and dd is going on 8. We're in no hurry. After the holidays might make the most sense, start with the new year and all that.

kristinabrooke
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone. SOrry for the MIA. My mother in law was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and things are just a bit crazy. Please just give me some time to and I will respond and send out the info to all those who have asked...

Sorry,
Kristina

DragonFaerie
10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone. SOrry for the MIA. My mother in law was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and things are just a bit crazy. Please just give me some time to and I will respond and send out the info to all those who have asked...

Sorry,
Kristina

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your MIL. You take all the time you need to take care of your family. We'll be here whenever. :-)

Ayem
10-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Kristina. Sending your family good thoughts.

lakshmi
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
So sorry about you MIL

rumbledolly
10-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I've PM'd you but your MIL comes first so no rush.

We can start whenever and I like the video chat idea as well as the blog idea. When I set up Flat Stanley (which kind of fell apart but we've started again this week) I started a blog on this site using Flat Stanley as my log in name. But Wordpress or Blogger works too.

Good thoughts sent to your MIL.

zcat
10-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Sorry,
Kristina

Sorry to hear about your mil.
That is stressful and emotional.

kristinabrooke
10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone. So, things are starting to settle down a bit but my MIL is having a Mastectomy on Friday and she may need to undergo radiation therapy after. I think that the best thing to do would be to plan to start up in January after the holidays... If that is OK, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kristina

coloradoalice
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
That is just fine with me. So sorry about your MIL, healing thoughts for her.

ercswf
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Fine with. Hope all goes well with your MIL.

Riceball_Mommy
11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
That is fine with us as well. Hope all goes well for your MIL moving forward.

Bugs
11-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry about your MIL, I hope things are going well for now.
We'd like to participate- DS 3 and DS 5 (almost 4 and 6).

Please let me know if (or how) I can help get this set up, we're excited :-)

kristinabrooke
12-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Hi all. Thanks for you patience and thanks for all of those good wishes you sent my mother in law. She is doing well as as of now all lymph-nodes are clear. We will know more later this month but the doctors are very positive that they got it all!

At any rate, I started a Group here for the Virtual Earth Scout (ahttp://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=115). It is moderated so I have to approve your membership. If you are still interested, please head over there and join. The plan is to begin January 15!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Kristina

Shoe
12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone. So, things are starting to settle down a bit but my MIL is having a Mastectomy on Friday and she may need to undergo radiation therapy after. I think that the best thing to do would be to plan to start up in January after the holidays... If that is OK, please let me know.

Thanks,
KristinaSo sorry to hear about your MIL-I hope all goes well for her.

Riceball_Mommy
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi all. Thanks for you patience and thanks for all of those good wishes you sent my mother in law. She is doing well as as of now all lymph-nodes are clear. We will know more later this month but the doctors are very positive that they got it all!

At any rate, I started a Group here for the Virtual Earth Scout (ahttp://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=115). It is moderated so I have to approve your membership. If you are still interested, please head over there and join. The plan is to begin January 15!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Kristina

It's good to hear the doctors are positive about it and all is going rather well with your mother in law.

I joined the group, or rather requested to join. I'm also very happy for the January start date, that works out great with us :)

kristinabrooke
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
All interested parties, please register for the Virtual Earth's Best Group and look through the material that I posted. It is my hope that we can get started ASAP but I need feedback from you all about how this will work. The group is here - http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=115

Faygo
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Make sure to click on "Group Tools" (I think that's it) and "Subscribe" to the group. Otherwise, if you are like me you will never remember to visit that page.

Maybe a Yahoo! Group would be something to consider, too?

kristinabrooke
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks! I personally don't like yahoo. Their groups are always getting hacked as are their emails...

Riceball_Mommy
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I subscribed to the group on here. I don't mind the groups on here it's easy to keep track of the conversation threads.

CatInTheSun
01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm finally jumping off the fence. :D Yesterday when I saw this was a go, I was having one of those days I was sure I couldn't handle anything more. Today everything went fairly smoothly -- I felt like an old pro so I'll take the leap. LOL

laq997
01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
what age groups are involved in this?

BackLitLeo
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I'd be interested!

koalaborg
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
We are ready to get started! If you are interested in participating, please join our Virtual Earth Scouts group, if you haven't already, to get all the information you need.

onyxravnos
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I know i've looked at them before but for the life of me I can't find their website now. can you link it?

mratts
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Website previously posted: http://earthcharterus.org/. Doesn't seem to have a ton of info though :( Well - I was looking for a list of badges, and I didn't find that. I suppose if you've got something else in mind it might be an informative site.

koalaborg
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
We have started this week, for those of you who are interested in participating. We have a Virtual Earth Scouts group here at SH, but for the actual troop activities, we have a website with the lesson plans, group meetup links, etc. If you plan to participate, please register at Virtual Earth Scouts (http://virtualearthscouts.com) to have access to the member content. We are really excited to get started!

onyxravnos, check out our site, we have links to EarthCharter will more information.