PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from Northern California

LauraQofU
05-14-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm a single, chronically ill mom to a hyperactive 10 year old with type 1 diabetes. And because I didn't have enough stress in my life, I decided to homeschool...:rolleyes:

Actually, due to budget cuts in my tiny, rural area, our public schools are going to a 40:1 ration in the classroom. Not an ideal situation for a girl with ADD and type 1 diabetes. Not to mention that I spend huge amounts of time "unteaching" and reteaching inaccurate history and science. The final straw came for me when my daughter, after a month of "focus" on black history, couldn't name a single important figure in the Civil Right's movement.

Despite my daughter's father's objections about "socialization" (What is she, a puppy?) I decided to enroll my daughter in an online charter school with a fantastic curriculum. I'm trying to get things ready for the school year, hoping to find some nonreligious homeschooling families in my area and just generally make sure I'm ready for the adventure.

I'm thrilled to have found the forum and look forward to soaking up your wisdom...

Topsy
05-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome, Laura!! Congratulations on your new adventure in homeschooling!! I know that single-parenting and homeschooling can be daunting, but I'm running into more and more moms and dads who are making it work - - and well!! Here's hoping that some of your personal and family challenges begin to blend into the background as the fun of homeschooling takes the forefront. Please feel free to make full use of the experiences of the long-time homeschooling members here by asking any questions that may come up for you.

Topsy

SunshineKris
05-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Wow! 40:1! That is insane. I wonder how any of those kids will have their needs met. Good luck to you. I have found this to be a very welcoming place as I get ready to homeschool my kids next school year.

Shoe
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
40:1?!? That's ridiculous. Glad you found the site-there are a couple of others here going the online school route. There are a lot of great people here with a lot of experience, so I'm sure you'll be able to soak up some wisdom. I know this site has been helpful for me. Enjoy the journey.

reversemigration
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Welcome, Laura. I hope that you'll find that instead of adding to your stress, homeschooling will alleviate it. At the very least, you'll have the peace of mind knowing that someone knowledgeable about your daughter's diabetes is with her! I can't help but think that I'd have concerns if my child had similar health issues being in a classroom with such a high ratio...if they were to become hypoglycemic, would someone notice?!

In any case, I can't say it better than Topsy...here's wishing the best for you and your daughter!

BPier12
05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome, Laura! It sounds like you are dealing with a tough situation and I hope that your choice to homeschool helps bring you and your daughter peace of mind and an enjoyable learning experience. It certainly has to be better than 40 kids in one classroom!

Best wishes to you and your daughter and I look forward to seeing you here.

Snoopy
05-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the group, Laura. Sounds like you have your hands full already. As Ben said, hopefully you will find relief instead of more stress by homeschooling :) Feel free to ask any questions you might have!