PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Planning

Mike&Sarahsdawn
10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Just wondering...how does everyone go about lesson planning? Do you do it a week at a time? The night before? On the fly?
We have a mix of curric right now....lots of unit studies from Intellego, which seem to require more planning. (For crafts and things.) We also have some random unit studies, things that we've found online, that are specifically things DD has requested to learn about. (Butterflies, Hummingbirds, etc.)
We are doing Math Mammoth for math, and the rest we are still figuring out. (Lots of available reading materials, fresh from library, each week.)
Anyways....I'm still lacking some organization in the lesson planning dept, and I'm hoping that others will be so kind as to give me a glimpse into their organizational system.
TY!
(Note: Wasn't sure which forum to put this in....)

OrganicFrmGrl
10-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I currently use a mix of curriculum also. I do lesson planning for about 2 weeks at a time. But, I only do it to keep me a little organized. It's not set in stone because things always come up. I always do it in pencil and erase a lot. While my DS is doing his work I just read ahead on each subject and figure it our from there. I am not super organized but the way I do it works for me.

Shoe
10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I try to get an overview of the whole year, and then attempt to plan out a week at a time in more detail. I say "try" because usually I end up doing it on the fly each day.

dbmamaz
10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I do about a week at a time . . ,I haven't done much unit studies tho . . I hate how much planning the crafts take, and my boys didn't seem to like it much anyways

Elphie
10-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I plan one week at a time too, often changing things on a day to day basis as needed.

Ayem
10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I have an overall plan for the semester for each of the areas I want to cover, so I know where I want to go in all her subjects.

Sundays, or at some quiet moment over the weekend, I will review what happened in the past week, what I want to happen in the coming week, and block into days ahead the things I want to cover. I modified one of the many forms on the web to suit my purposes for this. (Actually, I have 2 forms: I write down what we will be doing in all the curriculum areas I want to cover first, and then break it down (allocate it) for the week and this second one is what I work from for the week.) I seem to work better on paper, rather than spreadsheets etc. It rarely goes entirely according to plan. I am fairly relaxed and try to have space to go off on a tangent if something comes up. One of the many things I love about homeschooling.

However, I do need some sort of sense of where we are going and whether we are getting there. Otherwise, the days can just drift by...

There are also subjects which must get done at the bare minimum (Math, Language) and others which I will let float for a bit (History – got totally lost with that, will start afresh next term, we’re in the middle of a break). We have plenty of floaty days.

I also put things in a very modified version of the workbox system every day. (More for me than her.)

Megan_Hampson
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I've done it all. At one time I worked full time and homeschooled full time. (I do NOT recommend this!) Then, I had to be very spontaneous because I just didn't have enough time for planning. But I learned that I am so disorganized and burn out sooooo easily, that I should make a yearly plan, and then adjust it as things change throughout the year. Each year we've seemed to be disrupted by some kind of family crisis, so adjustments have always been necessary. I made a binder and wrote out the whole year's lesson plans. It was kind of a pain, because it was paper based and I wasted a LOT of paper. So, now I make a generalized plan for the year, and make specific lesson plans in LessonMinder each week. I have scheduled a time on Friday to meet with the kids and discuss our pacing and load, and then on Sunday I hit the site and set up the week. It keeps us more flexible and keeps me on task.

DragonFaerie
10-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a "year at a glance" where I've planned out how many chapters/pages, etc we need to cover each week to finish when I want to finish. Beyond that, I just plan out a week at a time, using the year at a glance as my guide. I write the week's assignments in each kid's planner over the weekend. So far it's working well. We've just finished our 9th week and we're on pace, or even ahead, on everything.

ksb427
10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I started out a week at a time just to see how things would flow. Now I try to do a month at a time using Google calendar since it's easy to move things over to the next day, edit, etc. Of course I as I write this I don't even have October planned, but I had to go out of town this past weekend unexpectedly. Tonight I'm just going to plan for this week and then next Sunday plan for the rest of the month. It really put my mind at easy when I had done it for September.

MrsLOLcat
10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I try to get an overview of the whole year, and then attempt to plan out a week at a time in more detail. I say "try" because usually I end up doing it on the fly each day.

This is more or less how I do it, and even though DS likes his schedules written into his personal daily agenda, there are times I make major changes at the last second anyway. The pace at which he works plays a lot into how our schedule winds up working... or not working... each day/week.

Stella M
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I lesson plan in the mornings. Which does get tricky with Intellego, it's true. I'm good at making do and fast thinking, so I can generally come up with a substitute for what I need. And I actually find that less stressful than doing a whole lot of pre-planning.

I think it's probably good to plan in a way that suits your personality.

Beverly
10-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty willy-nilly. I know where we are headed in our progression and plan just enough to know that I need to make sure certain supplies are on hand, that we cover math and language arts (phonics or spelling and reading) every day, science and history a few times a week, a unit of Latin gets covered most weeks and a full grammar lesson once a week. The day Latin, science, history or grammar happens to fall on depends on the activity, our energy level and what the kids feel like doing.

itsrks
10-03-2011, 02:18 AM

Ditto - That's exactly how I do it. Also, I always do it on the computer so if there's a change, it's easy. I print it out to check off.

DragonFaerie
10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I also think part of how you lesson plan will depend on how your children work. If you do a lot of teacher-intensive activities, it's easier to kind of "plan on the fly," so to speak. On the other hand, if your kids work more independently, they'll need their plan written out so they can work on their own.

inmom
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Same happens here.

Shoe, maybe you should write and publish a book called "On the Fly Homeschooling." You might be surprised how successful it would be!

Shoe
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Same happens here.

Shoe, maybe you should write and publish a book called "On the Fly Homeschooling." You might be surprised how successful it would be!

LOL. Of course, if I get organized enough to write such a book, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

Christy
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I make a chart for each week, listing each day and what I hope to do during it. I never plan more than two weeks at a time because by the end of two weeks I'm normally hopelessly off what I've planned - sometimes behind, but just as often ahead.

I'm experimenting this week with listing my chart by subject instead of days of the week, and picking and choosing the activities from it each day.

PetVet
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM

I third (or fourth - I've lost track!) this. I know what I want to get done for the year, then I break it into quarters (fits with our main curriculum, MBtP), then what I hope to get done for a particular month, then for each week. I research specific 'extras' for each topic a day or two in advance (BrainPop, Discovery Education, etc.), and each day we try our best to do what is planned.

Truthfully, I fly by the seat of my pants quite often due to health circumstances. To make up for that, we have very few scheduled 'OFF' days, so that we can do a little bit every day and allow us to keep on track. So far, so good...

jess
10-04-2011, 10:20 AM
For History, I have a weekly plan of what we're reading when so that I know when to reserve supplemental books from the library. In theory, anyways. I haven't managed to finish it yet for this year, and should probably get on that so that we at some point actually have supplemental reading.

Everything else is total seat of our pants.