PDA

View Full Version : A great response to an anti-homeschooling teacher!

Megan_Hampson
09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I got such a kick out of this response to an arrogant blogger who thinks homeschool parents are stupid.:mad: Just a little inspiration for those who are proud to homeschool!

:grin:Enjoy!

http://lessonminder.blogspot.com/2011/09/irrationality-does-not-good-teacher.html

Beverly
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Edited to remove my previous comment. I am having a stabby day. I need to remember to be patient. I will simply say I did not care for that blog post.

Riceball_Mommy
09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
It was a well written response, though I think I could have also done without the anti-evolution comments in the middle. She also neglects to address that many homeschoolers are not homeschooling a "brood" or even multiple children, some of us are homeschooling only one child. I could agree with a lot of her points on the original posts lack of research and support for the argument, though I felt a post that would be written more generally covering both secular and religious ideas might have driven the point home a little better, because as we all know not all of us are so upset by the idea of evolution being taught.

Shoe
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that.

Riceball_Mommy
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Also I have to add that I found the original article and there are a lot of really great responses in the comment. There is one person though that seems to fall back on calling the homeschool commenter selfish and egocentric if all else fails. He's from the school of thought that you keep your child in the system and try to fix it, if not then you are selfish and horrible.

sarahspins
09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
You know, funny thing is.. when I was in college a vast majority (not I am not saying ALL) of the people I knew who went into college saying "I want to be a teacher" were not the brightest bulbs in the box (most needed remedial courses for math and english)... it seems that a lot of them wanted to get a teaching degree because they weren't smart enough to do anything else in college.... and they really want to take the high and mighty road and pretend that they're so much smarter than parents and the students they teach? I don't think so!

Lak001
09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Not all teachers are created equal. You find some are actually really dumb, and some pretend they know things but when you approach them with a problem they have no clue what they are talking. That's especially true with math and science teachers. its very rare to find inspiring teachers. Of so many teachers i came across throughout my school years, only a handful of them were smart, and inspiring. Majority of them were there just filling in the job posts.
Anyway, I thought the response was great. I really do think the other blogger, BB, really represents the whole of population who sends their kids to public school, and think everything will be alright with their kids just because they go to school every year for 180 days, and are actually clueless of what their kids are learning, and doesn't care if their teachers are delivering what was promised. And when the same kids fail, drop-out of high school, or doesn't make decent grades, they actually don't know how that happened, and are too late to fix it.

Greenmother
09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
MEOW!

"But more striking in this quote is her choice of loaded words such as “freaked out”, “touted”, “average” and “brood”. For me, and I am guessing that for at least some of you, these word choices conjure up the image of a homeschooling half-wit spewing conspiracy theories surrounded by twenty dirty, unshoed gremlins. And, in fact, evidence that the majority of homeschool moms chew “backy” and swap roadkill recipes on those Facebook pages she is so “freaked out” about might redeem her piece."

Uh, I only have 2 Dirty unshod Gremlins. {we say shod because our feets are Gi-normous!}

And Roadkill isn't so bad as long as you get to it quick. Fresh is best. Otherwise you have to pick the gravel out and the stale chewing gum out.

I stopped Chewing tobacky when my frunt toof fell out and I kept getting the spit on my boobs.

Lak001
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
MEOW!

"But more striking in this quote is her choice of loaded words such as “freaked out”, “touted”, “average” and “brood”. For me, and I am guessing that for at least some of you, these word choices conjure up the image of a homeschooling half-wit spewing conspiracy theories surrounded by twenty dirty, unshoed gremlins. And, in fact, evidence that the majority of homeschool moms chew “backy” and swap roadkill recipes on those Facebook pages she is so “freaked out” about might redeem her piece."

Uh, I only have 2 Dirty unshod Gremlins. {we say shod because our feets are Gi-normous!}

And Roadkill isn't so bad as long as you get to it quick. Fresh is best. Otherwise you have to pick the gravel out and the stale chewing gum out.

I stopped Chewing tobacky when my frunt toof fell out and I kept getting the spit on my boobs.

HAHA... dirty unshod gremlins :D... I'm trying to picture that, and a tobacky chewing mom...

Greenmother
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
This whole article was well written, but that part just cracked me up! I mean I am in Oklahoma. I know those people!

So next question--a little OT but is this LessonMinder Good stuff?
Just curious.

Megan_Hampson
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
MEOW!

Ok, my sides are splitting open! You have brightened my day!

Megan_Hampson
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
This whole article was well written, but that part just cracked me up! I mean I am in Oklahoma. I know those people!

So next question--a little OT but is this LessonMinder Good stuff?
Just curious.

Well, I think so. The blogs are great, but their site is very useful, too. It's new, and they are still adding a lot of features, but they have a really cool book search - you can search for fiction based on things like gender interest or keyword - like pirates, or China - stuff like that. It includes books for preschool level all the way to high school.

Eileen
09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I found the anti-evolution stuff really annoying, and it kind of ruined the whole article for me.

Megan_Hampson
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
It was a well written response, though I think I could have also done without the anti-evolution comments in the middle. She also neglects to address that many homeschoolers are not homeschooling a "brood" or even multiple children, some of us are homeschooling only one child. I could agree with a lot of her points on the original posts lack of research and support for the argument, though I felt a post that would be written more generally covering both secular and religious ideas might have driven the point home a little better, because as we all know not all of us are so upset by the idea of evolution being taught.

I don't think the comments about Darwin's theory were "anti-evolution". I think the author's point was that a public school student can't even discuss the errors that paleontologists already acknowledge in Darwin's theory. There are parts of it that have been quite definitely disproved, while on the other hand, some of Darwin's theory is readily observable in nature. At least that is what I read into the text.