PDA

View Full Version : Finding a homeschool group...

Deli76
09-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Ive decided on math mammoth, ambleside, and ofcourse some supplemental books for other subjects.
My last and biggest problem????? Trying to find a homeschool group! No one accepts the inquiry on yahoo groups. Some have phone numbers that dont take messages so it rings forever. Even the local homeschool information lines dont answer. And the info lines that do have voicemail, they dont return calls. Ive have only called each 2 times. Hubby says that she needs to have a homeschool group before we pull her out of public school. Honestly I can see his concern. But this search has been going on for 2 weeks! has anyone else had trouble finding a homeschool group? Im trying to find a secular group, there are several.... but sheesh! Any suggestions?
im getting frustrated more and more because her teacher messed up yet again. My daughter missed 2 days last week she was sick. She sent her home with some makeup math. Then this week my daughter told me she had to give up her one and only recess during the day for 3 days to make up her other work! Im thinking to myself...why didnt she send the rest friday, she had the whole weekend to do make up work!then the teacher had the nerve to say she was missing her recess because she was being punished!!! what a bad word I would like to call her! ugh! then ofcourse when i was walking thru the parking lot other parents were complaining how they werent allowed to walk there kids to class after the 3rd day of school...ya, it ticked me off too! they literally stop you at the front door. there is also a stop sign. I would imagine kinder needs a bit more support and emotional support than the first graders. puzzling.

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
The search for a group is sometimes a difficult one. We have HS for 2 years now and still have not found one that fits us. I am really thinking of starting my own. But I am not really all that people oriented. I do know that at our Teacher Supply Store they have a list of local HS groups. Maybe try those venues.

JinxieFox
09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Wow, how frustrating. :/

Have you joined the Texas group here on the site and inquired to see if anybody there is near you? There's also a map of Secular Homeschool groups on the resources page.

So many Yahoo Groups seem to slip into disuse, it's sad.

sarahspins
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Where in TX are you? Some of the best HS groups aren't even listed anywhere. The one I've been a member of for almost 6 years isn't listed *anywhere* and it's a pretty big group.

Deli76
09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
im just outside of san antonio

hockeymom
09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a frustrating search. Have you tried asking at your local library? Educational shops, bookstores, and toy stores might also be good options, particularly if they are locally owned.

Alternatively, you can put your name out on other yahoo groups without worrying about whether they are secular or not, just to get familiar with the local scene. I've done a field trip with a very religious group and it was great fun, the religion part didn't come up much. You might well find secular folks that way, or realize that secular isn't everything (I do draw the line at statements of faith which would require me to lie, however, but field trips or whatever are totally benign).

When we lived elsewhere I almost made posters searching for other homeschoolers, I was that lonely. Thankfully we moved away, but it's an option if you aren't too shy! :)

PBB
09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
We live in a rather small community, and the only hs groups are primarily Baptists. I was shocked, but they DID NOT require a statment of faith (just don't want you to disagree with any teachings in the co-op classes). I've had to bite my tongue a few times when my kids tell me what they are learning in the "apologetics" class (dinosaurs on the ark, anyone???), but my kids are young and I know that they will be exposed to all different beliefs and all scientific facts and can make their own decisions. For the most part, the kids are nice, the moms are okay (I"m older than most and I don't really have anything in common other than our kids being homeschooled) and my kids get together with others and have occaisional fieldtrips.

My suggestion, if you are comfortable with this, is to call some of the larger churches (Baptist or Catholic might be a good place to start) in your area and ask if they know of any homeschool groups. Other places - museums, indoor play parks (bounce house places), the YMCA.

Good luck

farrarwilliams
09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
That just ticks me off on your behalf. Not being able to find a group because of distance, religious issues and so forth is totally understandable to me, if annoying. Not being able to find a group because no one will reply and mentor you or help you out... that's just wrong. We're a community. Not everyone is called to help newbies out, but when there's *no one* doing it, the community as a whole will suffer. It's probably clannishness. Grrr...

Accidental Homeschooler
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
We have met people at the library and playground during school hours.

Beverly
09-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Local scouting troops are sometimes all homeschoolers.

Deli76
09-30-2011, 08:56 AM
With in the last 3 days I have gotten 2 calls back, and one online group accepted me. The 2 that called me back are religious based. Being athiest and worshipping the earth and nature, I am not too sure it would be a good mix. I am willing to try it due to the fact my daughter has so many questions about "god". I have decided to let my kids chose their own path, and if religion is a path they want to explore and follow, I will support them 100%. So I am willing to let her explore religion. The online group is inclusive, its for everyone no matter what religion or no religion or belief. It is member led and we will be at the next meeting. I am so excited! I cant wait! But yes , I see how frustrating it is trying to find a group, no matter what the belief may be. It was really stressing me out!

JinxieFox
09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm glad a few groups finally got back to you and it's great that the inclusive group has meetings. If you decide to attend meetings for either of the religious groups, at least you can see what they are like, and decide if they are worth joining full time. :) Here's hoping one of the groups works out well for you!

hockeymom
09-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Good luck! Hope at least one works well for you.

crunchynerd
10-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Don't blame you for not liking the school deciding the terms under which you can parent. I take great exception to anyone telling a parent they aren't ALLOWED something when it comes to their own child. Parents may choose to patronize, or not patronize, an establishment such as a school, for services involving their minor children, but the establishment is not entitled, thereby, to overstep, abridge, or limit parental decisions concerning the child. Yet they get away with it all the time, and from each instance, grow stronger in the determination that it is their right.

Anyway, I feel your pain with getting together with a homeschooling group. There are homeschoolers aplenty in my state, but it has been hard to find a group that we fit with. Being secular homeschoolers makes it harder. I used to live in your state, and where I was (Austin) there would have been plenty of secular HS groups of all flavors, but where I live now, is in the Northeast, but not near major cities.
If you haven't tried this yet, increasingly, 4-H groups have homeschoolers in them, and contacting your local Agricultural Extension Service and asking who the 4-H coordinator is or how to find 4-H leaders in your area, could be a lead on finding other homeschoolers. 4-H is no longer just sows, plows, and cows, and increasingly, homeschoolers, even urban ones, are using it for curriculum and enrichment, as well as social groups. For ages 5-8, 4-H now has a group called Cloverbuds. Best wishes~

CatInTheSun
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one: sent messages to two groups over a week ago and have heard NOTHING back. Giving me a complex. :p

Is it normal to take so long to hear back? Tempted to start my own group with a "response within 48 hours" guarantee (work e-mails I always try to respond within a day). But like OP I'm just not that outgoing, especially with NO contacts in our area. :x

Mum
11-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Have you heard anything more yet? How has it gone?