PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Bible Belt! :)

Ashley
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Greetings from the Bible Belt! Anyone believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Glad to be here... I have enjoyed myself and it's only my second day. It's funny how relieved you feel when you don't have to be as tender to other's religious views. I mean, I consider the quiet reservation of addressing religious views a courtesy, not a burden, but whew! Not to have to skirt around the topic is nice.

Thanks to everyone who has been nice to me. I appreciate it.

Snoopy
05-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Ashley, welcome to the group :) I see that you have joined the FL group already, yay! I wish you lots of luck finding a local group so that your daughter can meet some friends too. Will you allow her to keep in touch with her current friends via FB or other means? Being homeschooled definitely doesn't mean staying home all day and she can still see her friends during after-school activities, sleepovers, etc. Are you near Pensacola? I know that in Orlando there is a group specifically for homeschooled tweens and teens and they go bowling and do field trips together (with parent chaperons, of course). Maybe there is something similar near you? You could search the Yahoo group listings for something close by or look if something is listed here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State). Also, I would advise to not limit yourself to group specifically secular, strangely enough. My 14 year-old son who is atheist, like me, reports that 75% of his friends at school also claim to be atheist, although their parents do not know and would not approve (and he has lots of friends and we live in a rural setting). I think that today's kids beliefs are changing greatly, since they are now more exposed to other people's opinions through their online networks. So your daughter might find kids that she would like to hang out with in "regular" homeschool groups as well.

BPier12
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Ashley,

Welcome! I'm new to homeschooling, living in FL too, and have a 12 year old son who is finishing out the school year this June (private school) and we will begin homeschooling in earnest for 8th grade this fall. We have been known to invoke the Flying Spaghetti monster in our household! ;)

I completely understand what you mean about how nice it is not to have to be so sensitive regarding religion here. My husband and I went to the local homeschooler's group for the first time this week and it is very Judeo-Christian. I don't have any issues with people believing what they want to believe but I can tell already that I will have to constantly be "aware" of what I say around the familiies in the group and I'm not sure that I want to take on that burden. I think we will not give up on it completely yet because I want my son to have the opportunity to weigh in on whether he likes the group or not. It would be really nice though to have a local support group that isn't grounded in religion, but I don't see that happening in the area in which we live.

Shoe
05-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Welcome to the site Ashley. Glad you found it and look forward to getting to know you better.

SunshineKris
05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Welcome Ashely! Though I think the whole country can now be considered the Bible Belt. ;) It's getting harder and harder to avoid the question back stateside. If it keeps going this way the non-church-goers will have to drink from separate fountains, especially if you homeschool for reasons besides religious.

Topsy
05-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Glad you found a place you can feel comfortable, Ashley. That's the goal around here!! I hope you will make yourself at home.

Topsy

Ashley
05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Thank you all! I am making a late reply because as I told my new friend Jetty, I have a binge and purge love affair with the internet. I intend to be much more active in the future, though. I have found a small group that is religion and homeschool style neutral, although I noticed that nearly all of their many FB family associates are notably Christian. And I would like for my daughter to connect with people via FB and possibly some other social sites, although I have had to address some behavioral issues in the past on the very same online community. Despite her age (12 in July) and smarts, she is a little more impressionable than I'd like so if anyone has any suggestions to help me keep her going in the right direction, that would be great!

Thanks,

Ashley