PDA

View Full Version : Speech therapy? 8 yo

dbmamaz
09-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Ok, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this for me.

Raven just turned 8. He was late to talk, and somewhat late to read, and was more of a whole word guy who could memorize quickly but struggled with sounding out.

His pronunciation was always poor, and I sporadically correct him. He is aware that he pronounces some word wrong, and can make an effort to try better, but its definitely an effort.

I'm trying to really make him write more, and we seem to be starting w email pen pals (applogies to anyone still waiting to hear fro us, it turns out to be a very slow process)

Yesterday I told him he had to write something, so he responded to an email fro one boy. He asked if I wanted to see it before he sent it . . .and I was very glad he did. One sentence was entirely unreadable. He had actually written fuck . . . For the word THINK! I made the th sound several times for him, and he was pretty clueless what he was hearing. He also seems to have forgotten his vowel sounds, which he knew 2 years ago.

Now, he was briefly in the early intervention program, but they felt he was learning quickly enough, so they kicked him out. His kindergarten teacher had had him checked out at school, but the Specailists (I can't get autocorrect to stop capitalizing and pluralizing that word, sorry), and was told he was within the normal range. I'm not sure I trust the school enough to see what is available for him there, and I'm not sure the insurance will cover anything. Dh is willing to pay for it if we need to.

Any thoughts?

dbmamaz
09-24-2011, 11:21 AM
And no idea why this has a smiley or how to get rid of it

Pefa
09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
BOO did speech therapy for a year when he was 8 and it made a huge difference. Right now I feel like he needs a "tune-up" so I'm trying to decide whether we can tackle this with a recorder and repetition or go back to the speech therapist.

It's tough when you can't express yourself, or hear the differences to spell things. Can you start with your pediatrician? Often times if they recommend treatment, insurance companies are a touch more compliant. (Insurance companies suck. Big time. I hate dealing with them.)

speech mom
09-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I am a speech language pathologist and the mom of two kids who "talk funny".
I always tell parents to go with their guts. If you think it is something that needs to be addressed and that your child needs help with, go for it. You know your child best.
The two primary routes are through the local school or your pediatrician. Few insurance companies cover speech therapy unless there has been an accident or a serious health condition. You never know until you try though.
If the speech sound errors are on later developing sounds like "r" or "th" a child can appear to be developmentally ok at kindergarten. That doesn't always mean they will develop the sounds on their own later.
It is great when a child can make the sounds with help. That usually means it will take less work to get them in their natural speech. Good luck and if you have any specific questions, I would love to help.

My 8 year old has a frontal lisp. She is gifted and an all around intense kid. I have 7 years of college and 7 years as a professional in the field and she can still be a challenge.

farrarwilliams
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Mushroom struggled with a lot of sounds and still does a little bit. It's especially clear when he's writing too. We talked about it around age 5 and then began really working on it because he wanted help to change it. I picked one sound at a time he needed help with and just, when it came up and we had a few minutes, would give him little lessons about it and get him to practice it and really look at my mouth. I think it's important to really describe what your mouth is doing to form the sound and get him to mimic that. Once I was confident he could make it correctly, I just started relentlessly correcting him and making him repeat words. It could have been really negative and nagging, but he was really on board with it and it didn't seem to bother him, so I didn't stop. Once he had made some significant progress, I would move on to another sound.

There's a curriculum I've seen people post about for speech and I've heard it's good, but I didn't use it. I think two things - one, he has to see it as an issue he wants to change. If he doesn't, then I can't imagine he would see the value in working on it - especially if all of you understand him perfectly well. Also, I think if you can't help him see some progress in forming the sounds, I would go see a speech pathologist and get either speech therapy or some "tools" to help you understand how to help him. When I was first researching this because I was concerned about Mushroom, everything I read seemed to indicate that mixing up some sounds and having trouble with "th" and "l" especially were really common and might need support and some therapy or help but weren't a real issue to be too concerned about until about 7 or 8, at which point if you hadn't had any intervention, then it was needed. So I think that he's probably in the zone for needing some support if it hasn't corrected itself at this point.

Stella M
09-24-2011, 07:58 PM
So is ds, history of tongue tie, trouble with sounds 'th' and 'r'. I waited till now but will probably do something about it in the new year.

dbmamaz
09-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, he does respond pretty well to reminders . . . and i did notice that th IS a late sound . . . i do have a speech therapist i like, but she can be hard to reach . . .i'll think about it a bit longer. I really appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Batgirl
09-24-2011, 11:38 PM
There's a book out there that was recommended to me by one of Batman's speech therapists, designed for parents to help their kids with articulation issues, called Teach Me How to Say it Right. I've never had a chance to use it, but plan to give it a try if Robin's speech does not become more intelligible in the next couple of years.

dbmamaz
09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
while we're on the subject, what about adding 'ed' to words that dont need it? Included thinked, eated, that kind of thing. Is that still developmentally appropriate? He also might say pushded instead of pushed. again, i probably dont correct him as consistently as I should, but he's such an argumentative kid you just dont want to push things! But he's starting to get better about it.

dbmamaz
09-25-2011, 03:52 PM
i remembered the weired thing about the extra 'ed' - if the word SOUNDS like 'ed' at the end, he says it right. If it doesnt sound like 'ed' he ads an 'ed'. Like, farted he says correctly. Or any worked that ends with a 't', esp - hooted. But words that dont end in 't' dont make that very audible 'ed' sound, so he adds another ed at the end. Calleded (calld . . .not really 'ed' at the end) . . . and the ones where the word changes dramatically, he mostly misses.

My first two kids were SUCH early talkers, I dont remember them having an of these issues. My daughter, the week before her 2nd birthday, I turned a page in a book we'd only had 2 weeks, and she blurted out "Poor Rabbit. His splendid plan for unbouncing Tigger did not work out very well." Raven at the same age didnt have 2-word utterances. I'm just so unclear what is acceptable and what really could benefit from intervention and what WILL catch up without causing any real problems - as long as I'm customizing the school work to his ability.

Batgirl
09-25-2011, 05:45 PM
It sounds like an eval couldn't hurt. Also, you could always work with him on it for a few months to see if he improves before scheduling anything, since it'll cost you.

Jackielyn
09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
A while back I downloaded Super Star Speech from currclick.com (never used it), don't know if they still have it but am thinking about possibly giving it another look over as my MDS does have trouble with pronouncing certain letters, I was concerned when he was 4 but figured it was probably too early but now he is 6 and it hasn't gotten better...he's hard to understand sometimes...I've contemplated speech therapy but I may try to remedy it at home first...best of luck it whatever you decide!

dbmamaz
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I actually left a message w the therapist I like, and she never called back . . . Happy to put it off for a while and just work on writing . . .

Batgirl
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, there you go! :D