PDA

View Full Version : Making the Transition from Public School to Homeschool???

Deli76
09-24-2011, 01:29 AM
We are going to be making the transition next week. I think I am more scared than my daughter! EEK! We have both talked to her and let her know what she will be doing. Letting her know that we will be joining a homeschool group. There is study time and play time. How do we make the transition easier for her? Anything you have tried? Ive read about deschooling and then starting the homeschooling. Is deschooling something some of you have tried? How do you know when they are ready to homeschool after deschooling? Is there an amount of time to let them deschool? Any info or suggestions would be great. TY in advance

gidamom
09-24-2011, 07:20 AM
First of all..Good Luck! I hope this turns out to be a great experience for both of you! We just recently started hs ourselves, so I have no wonderful words of wisdom or a lot of advice yet.

I have read and also many helpful people here suggested the rule of thumb of deschooling a month per year of regular schooling. Because my children are 10 and 12 that seeemed like too long!! We just deschooled for a few months...but at times I feel it was still too shrt to "undo" their, and also my, "school mind". In the few weeks we've been hs, I find that it is VERY different. I am still finding my way through...I hope everything goes well for you!

Shoe
09-24-2011, 07:28 AM
I didn't formally deschool, but I did ease off my daughter for the first little while. My son, who I pulled out of ps a year earlier, didn't get any break, though. My only suggestion is to relax and don't worry if you don't get everything you've planned done, especially in the first few weeks. Let it be an enjoyable experience for all of you, not a stressful one. Take a hike or a trip to a museum. Let her enjoy the fact that she can go to the bathroom when she needs to, and not when the teacher says it's okay-this was big with my daughter.

Good luck and enjoy.

OrganicFrmGrl
09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
This is my second year so I remember well how you are feeling. When i pulled my son out last year we did not deschool. Possibly for several reasons, I couldn't wrap around that and I was scared to. If I had to do it over, I would have just eased in o hs a little bit instead of just jumping right in. I knew that here I had to have him tested at the end of the year so I was scared to take such a break. I now realize that it would have been ok.

Deli76
09-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Did any of your children resist event hough you knew it was best to take them out? How did you deal with this? My daughter is flip flopping about whether she wants to or not, but I know it is best for her to homeschool.

Lak001
09-24-2011, 11:46 AM
My daughter cried the day I pulled her out of school. It was mixed emotions for her. She was thrilled that she didn't have to wake up so early everyday, but at the same time she was going to miss her friends. that was a compromise that she had to make, and she was okay after a few days.

clancariens
09-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I pulled my middle child (10) out this past April. He was in a serious state of anxiety and stress. We spent April - June just reviewing some math facts that he didn't feel confident with, reading books and very marginally working on a unit study that he had interest in. And going to counseling. My other two finished out the school year and are now also homeschooling too. So, for us, summer was a bit of deschooling. We did nothing academic at all and it gave me time to get my head around what I was going to do come August 24th and to prepare and organize. I guess some folks would say we should have taken more time off. But because they were in school for so long (my oldest is almost 13), I figured we'd start and have lots of discussions about how homeschooling with look and feel different. They were of course very used to grades and extreme structure and little autonomy. We are dismantling all that a baby step at a time. We have curriculum that we follow, but allow flexibility within and within our daily schedule. I can't imagine how it would have gone if I had approached it like "I just yanked you from school and everything you know (whether you liked it or not), and now we are going to unschool and change everything you know about what it means to get and education and learn". I would have imploded right along with them and some days I am overwhelmed anyhow as it is. Now, I'm trying to focus more on moving away from learning in order to get good grades and compete to learning for the sake of understanding and knowing and mastering something. It's a tough, tough change for them. In big ways -- like convincing my anxious boy that getting things wrong no longer presents a situation of failure, embarrassment and self-loathing. And then also in small ways like my youngest (8), who I thought would be the easiest to transition and was a conscientious student with a lot of self-initiative, spending many days completely unfocused and discombobulated by her new found freedoms and rolls around on the floor and organizes crayons and finishes tasks and runs off to play instead of coming to me to find out what to do next. My oldest, who many were worried about leaving his friends and the "social scene" of middle school, walked out in June and never looked back. I don't think he misses a damn thing. My daughter had and continues to have up and down days about homeschooling. I try to make sure she still sees her friends and I try to play up the positives of the decision to her. I think that she feels a little odd in the company of friends still in school when they start talking about school/teachers etc. At the end of last year she wanted to join the girl scout troop her friends were in so that she would still get to go up to the school and see them. But, she just decided, one week short of the first meeting, to not be part of it. We will try to make some more homeschooled friends so she has a small group of people with whom she has that in common. One of my friends, who also pulled her son out, had more problems with him resisting the idea. Being nervous and sad and doubting whether he would like it, moping about and crying and such. She took a harder line and told him that she and his father had made the decision that they felt was best for him and he needed to stop with the melodrama. She promised him that they would work together to make sure he succeeded and was happy and still saw his friends too. He's fine now and has even thanked them for homeschooling him. I think if you are pulling your daughter out and the school year is just starting by you, or if you're in a year round schooling district, taking a few months off (like a summer in the fall), it would be a good idea if she has been traumatized at all. The great thing is you can throw away all those notions about what a school-year is and when you should and shouldn't take time off. Take it slow with the changes and remember you know your kid better than anyone else. Best of luck to you both!

hockeymom
09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
My son couldn't wait and begged to be homeschooled. We didn't really deschool even though I was completely open to it. He was so bored in ps that we jumped right in, which was what he wanted. We ended up doing about a month pretty intensively, then the following month we took a long trip and then found ourselves in summer so the summertime was used as our transition time. He didn't much need it though.

itsrks
10-03-2011, 02:31 AM
My experience is that they want to mimic school. When we first started, we were living at my grandparent's house in the country. We cared for my grandmother. Anyway, the kids would walk around the house a few times to feel like they were walking to school. Then, I pounded on the "bell" my grandmother used to use to call in my grandfather. We actually found school desks that we had restored over the summer. Well, all that lasted not much more than a couple of weeks. The desks lasted even less. That first year, we did most of our schoolwork at night on the bed. The deal was after a certain time that they had to either sleep or do school work or read. Sometimes we'd stay up waaaay too late doing schoolwork. It's a great memory.

raesrose
10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi! I'm a Texas about-to-be homeschooler too - taking my son out of ps in the next week or so. We've decided to deschool for a month or so (he's in first grade) before starting up with homeschooling. He definitely needs the healing time from so many troubles in school - to separate the trauma from the learning. Best of luck to you!

PBB
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
My kids were in a small private school and were in K and 1st last year. I did not deschool (but we had summer break). My advice would be to start slow, don't try to do too much in one day (be realistic about how much actual teaching time they had in school) and do things your kids want to do while also getting in the basics. My big thing is trying not to compare what we do to other homeschoolers. Most that I know are pretty uptight. I want my kids to enjoy learning and to be excited about new things.

Shoe
10-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi! I'm a Texas about-to-be homeschooler too - taking my son out of ps in the next week or so. We've decided to deschool for a month or so (he's in first grade) before starting up with homeschooling. He definitely needs the healing time from so many troubles in school - to separate the trauma from the learning. Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the forums raesrose. I'm sure you'll find this a useful site.