PDA

View Full Version : Popping in from coastal NC

amphibology29
05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Hello, everyone! So glad to find a forum dedicated to secular homeschooling; not that other homeschooling forums aren't helpful, but sometimes it's nice to know that everyone else is coming from the same general direction when asking for advice or help! :)

My name is Nani, I'm married to Levi and we have two, soon to be three, children: a son, Nikko, who will be 6 on FRIDAY (ahh!), a daughter, Sakura, who will be 2 in August, and another little sprout due in September. Right now we currently live in the coastal area of North Carolina, where my husband is stationed as an airside Marine. We may or may not be staying here for another couple of years... we're awaiting orders right now. If we don't stay here we'll most likely end up in San Diego.

I attended college to become an elementary teacher specializing in biology, but decided I'd rather stay home than go into the work force. I also knew pretty early on that I wanted to homeschool our children, at least through elementary school (and thereafter if they decide they want to stay home). Being military, we have the potential to move around a lot and I don't want my kids getting a disjointed education, especially in their early formative years of school. Plus, being military we don't get a lot of say over where we live, and I don't want to leave to chance the type of school system my kids wind up in. While some public schools are fantastic, a lot aren't, you know? :p

Anywho... I guess that's plenty enough for an introduction. I tend to go on for hours if given a chance to talk about my family, so I'll wrap it up here and look forward to being active in other parts of the site!

Snoopy
05-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi and welcome to the group :) We have a couple of other military moms so make sure you join the Military Homeschoolers (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4)group too :) Are you going to find out the sex of the baby in advance? I could never wait to find out for mine. Happy early b'day to Nikko:)

SunshineKris
05-13-2010, 01:49 AM
Welcome Nani! I'm a military wife starting homeschool too. And for many of the same reasons: moving so often can wreak havoc on their educations. You truly never know what you're gonna get!

Topsy
05-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Welcome, Nani, from someone on the complete opposite end of the Tarheel state! Glad you stopped by to introduce yourself...I love getting to know more about our members!! I hope you will come and hang out often with us!

Topsy

Wilma
05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Nani!

I'm a displaced Tarheel, having grown up in Raleigh. My nephew is stationed where I believe you are. My girls were asking today when they would get to go to the beach again. I hate living in a landlocked state.

Anyway, this is a fabulous board. I have watched boards I have been on for years just fall apart with fighting among people of various beliefs. But here, everyone is so welcoming respectful and thoughtful, and there is a wealth of information here among the members. I'm glad you joined us!

amphibology29
05-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. :)

Nathalie, we're waiting to be surprised by the baby's gender. We waited with our daughter, too, and I decided I really prefer it that way. It's one of the only true surprises left in life. Plus, it makes shopping a lot more fun... instead of buying an outfit here and there, after our daughter was born we got to go out and buy a ton of girl stuff all at once! I have a feeling this baby is a boy, which means more shopping. (Yay!) Haha! We still have most everything from Sakura's infant wardrobe if this baby turns out to be a girl, but there was no way I was hanging on to Nikko's clothes for 6 years, waiting for another boy!

Shoe
05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the board Nani. My daughter loves the name Sakura, and uses it a lot as her internet handle-I think she wishes we had named her that .

LJean
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Hello and welcome! :)

reversemigration
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Welcome, Nani...I'm glad you're here. It sounds like your new little one is coming just in time to help with your lessons! :)

amphibology29
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
It sounds like your new little one is coming just in time to help with your lessons! :)

I birth at home, so I figure that ought to cover the science lesson for the day. ;)

LJean
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I birth at home, so I figure that ought to cover the science lesson for the day. ;)

Yep! That would cover it! LOL

reversemigration
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM

And how! Not to mention a little simple addition. :)

firefly
05-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Nani, "I birth at home, so I figure that ought to cover the science lesson for the day."

Wow, you are one tough lady! H/sing should be a breeze! I waited to know the gender with my 2nd. It was like leaving just a piece of wrapping paper on a gift until the last possible moment! Glad you're here!