PDA

View Full Version : Chat function

lakshmi
09-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Is there a chat function that I am missing? Is this something that forums even have? This is the first forum that didn't drive me batty.

Shoe
09-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I don't use chat functions on any site, so I wouldn't have looked for it, but I don't think I've ever seen one here.

Topsy
09-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Lakshmi,

We had a chat function in the "old" software we used for the site, and no one ever used it, so I haven't really looked into integrating a chat function into the vBulletin interface. I HAVE, however, thought it was kind of weird that it lets you see who is online. Without chat, what good is it to know that someone else is online on a site?

My instinct and experience from other forums is that having a chat feature usually detracts from conversations on the forums. While it gives that "instant feedback" that we all often crave, I find that conversations that take place between a specific few people would have been so much richer if everyone could have weighed in. I'm not inclined right at the moment to add it as a site option, BUT I am always open to feedback about it. Thanks for your inquiry!

lakshmi
09-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks Topsy. In FB now they have a group chat function so that anyone online can join it with the chat. That is sort of what I was more interested in, where a conversation could happen in real time with the entire membership who was online.