PDA

View Full Version : dealing with serious PMS!

yocumdeb
09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a young teen ( almost 13) who plays Jekyll and Hyde once a month. She is normally a very bright, hardworking and reasonably kind person. When that time of the month rolls around, I barely even recognize her. She does get severe cramps and feels ill for about a day. We can deal with that. However, the evil twin who shows up and terrorizes the whole house for 3 or 4 days is absolutely not welcome. She becomes mean, non-compliant, and consistently shrieks at everyone for everything. Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greenmother
09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Have her checked for Endometriosis or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Either can cause serious hormonal imbalances that can affect mood and behavior.

Most doctors will want to put a person on *the pill, which if she turns out to be estrogen dominant, may be a bad idea. So if she gets a diagnosis, do your research.

Tayonoss
09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
my 14 year old did the same...i took her to the dr the put her on birth control pills for 2 month, worked great , it was a hormone inbalance now she is back to normal...might not help you but it was a life saver here.

Crabby Lioness
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
My 12yo is the same way. I'm going to try vitamins first, then we'll see about bcp.

dbmamaz
09-21-2011, 02:35 PM
My daughter went on the pill for her really bad periods (when she was 17) and it made her NUTS . . .like 24/7 pms all month long! She became suicidal and the docs tried all sorts of meds which all gave her side effects!

My daughter didnt get her period until she was 14, and i did spend too much time, IMO, letting her be a beast to everyone. In retrospect, I think I should have gently made her go to her room if she couldnt stop being cruel and rude and inappropriate. but we did talk about it a lot, and she was (sometimes) able to recognize her behavoir and feelings were cycle-related, and then she was able to stop blaming everyone else for how she felt.

Its hard to know becuase we had other problems . . . good luck

speech mom
09-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I posted a couple weeks ago about "what to do about preteen tears" about my 12 year old's monthly mood swings. I got some really helpful advice from the forum.

mommykicksbutt
09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Ditto here for both myself and my daughter. The pill helped us both wonderfully well. No more super-bitch.

Accidental Homeschooler
09-23-2011, 01:27 PM
The pill did it for me too. I tried some of the more natural remedies as recommended by my gyn provider, but the pill is what worked (still works).