PDA

View Full Version : Childhood baggage

reversemigration
05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
...as in stuff, actual stuff from your childhood! Is there anything (books, magazines, things of one sort of another) that you've saved from when you were a kid that you use with your own kids in a homeschooling way?

With Max, we've had my wife's set of Great Books for Children, which evidently was the companion series to the Great Books set put out by the University of Chicago. While there's nothing in them that can't be found elsewhere, the books themselves are handsome. They're also, for the most part, the original deal with no modernized language.

The other thing that's been passed down is a microscope that was originally my dad's. I used it as a kid, and now it's in Max's room. While he's only played around with it a bit, I figure we'll put it to good use in the coming year.

This appeals to me in several ways. First, I like reusing things - the whole waste-not-want-not ethos. Secondly, I like the sense of continuity and history, of hoping that the spark of excitement that I had from something will find an echo in my kids.

How about y'all?

ginnyjf
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Interesting topic! When I was a girl, my mom and dad bought a set of World Book encyclopedias and also the entire Childcraft library. I LOVED those books. I carried them around the house, read them with my morning cereal, read them in the bathtub, read them outside, etc. When I left home, my mom and dad gave me the set and now Zack loves them as much as I did. He likes seeing the water damage and the milk stains and the dirt smudges from when I was a little girl. So much of the information is dated, but they're sentimental favorites and all of the supplemental annuals (which I also kept) have great timeless information on dinosaurs, native Americans, mathematics, myths and legends, etc. It was the best investment my parents ever made in my education.

Snoopy
05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Great idea for a post, it'll be interesting to see what people share.

Sadly I have nothing from my own childhood to use with Noah, seeing that I moved from overseas here and the airline promptly lost all my luggage and never found it :( I would say that what I passed down to Noah from my childhood is my love of reading. Yes, I'm the awful parent who FORCED her kids to read even when they didn't want to and all of them have become lovers of books and read a lot.

However, my MIL used to be a teacher and a tutor and kept everything, so she passed down books, workbooks, math manipulatives, most of which I have been able to use with Noah. She loves seeing how we use "her" stuff and I love getting the free supplies and sharing what we are not using.

I'm jealous of Ben's hand-me-down microscope. I want a good microscope but I'm frugal so I don't want to pay tons of money for it. Ours cost me $60 and it's bunk. Or maybe I suck so badly at science that I can't even figure out how to use it. I don't know but I remember spending hours looking at slides under my own "videoscope" when I was a child and I loved it. A friend of mine gave me a videoscope for Noah but you can't see anything, it was a big disappointment. I do need to invest in a good microscope.

Topsy
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Only my original Little House boxed set and Mark Twain boxed set. They've been loved well, now!! :)

Melyssa
05-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Nope, I don't have anything from my childhood. I'm not a saver plus I've moved around the country too much to have carried much stuff around plus we were too poor to buy books when I was a kid. All my reading material came from the school library or the public library so had nothing to pass down in that way. It's neat that you have things to share though!

Busygoddess
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
When I was 12, we moved from a large house to a rather small mobile home. Most of our stuff had to go into storage - 2 storage units. My parents made payments on the storage units for a few years, but stopped paying about the time they got divorced. So, most of my childhood was auctioned off because my parents couldn't agree on who should pay the storage fees. However, I was able to hold onto some books, a pair of binoculars that belonged to my grandpa, my first telescope, and a set of wildlife cards.

Riceball_Mommy
05-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I had a book when I was little "Can You Imagine?" I had intended to keep it to give it to my children one day, but my mother lost it in one of the moves. A few years ago I spent a year and half searching ebay for it. I finally found a copy, and it was in better condition than the one I had. I ended up using it this year, for the City Mouse, Country Mouse story. For every story in the curriculum we read several different versions. So I suppose it was kind of saved from my childhood, since I did have it originally, and it seems to be a rare book anyway.

dbmamaz
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
actually, i hadnt though about it - but i have my father's old slide rule - wooden, with a leather case, from his college days. It was one of the few things that I kept when we were cleaning out things after his death. What a trip it would be to teach the kids how to use one! I learned the basics in some random advanced math class, but I dont remember. I dont think either of my teens would be interested tho, and it'll be a while til we know about the 6 yo. He is the mathy one, tho. Most of the books my mom still has from my childhood are very old novels about orphaned kids . . . i think I had an obsession. None of the kids seem interested. Oh, but there is a giant book of classic childrens literature - poems, short stories, excerpts from classics - which I have read to all my kids.

melgriffin03
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
My mom kept almost all of my stuff. Toys, books, some school work. My daughter has all of my cabbage patch dolls and old stuff from my play kitchen. Ethan has two bookshelves of my early childhood books.

mjzzyzoff
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
We just discovered boxes of old picture books in my mom's barn. What a fun trip down memory lane! A lot of them I remembered, but a lot of them I didn't, there was only a vague feeling of "I've seen this before..." I thought DS would be a little old for the picture books but he's been reading them. I also have my Narnia and Little House boxed sets.

schwartzkari
05-17-2010, 02:39 PM
My husband passed two things down to our kids. His original "Let's Learn the Alef Bet" book, which is what he used to learn Hebrew :) and also an antique wooden puzzle that his grandfather gave him. It also teaches Hebrew.

My mom kept alot of my old toys and books from when I was a child. I absolutely love to sit down and read my daughter the very same books my father read to me. I also gave my daughter my Barbie, My Little Pony and She-Ra collections, lol...although we don't really use those for homeschool lessons :)

Firefly_Mom
05-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Most everything from my childhood that I saved (that would be considered educational, anyway), my son wanted no part of. One of my FAVORITE things as a kid was my Speak-and-Spell (remember those?) I held onto it for yearsandyearsandyears only to have my son tell me that he hated it! He didn't like any of the books I'd saved, either :P

Nope, the only thing he wanted was all of my old Star Wars toys. He can have my Boba Fett when he pries it from my cold, dead fingers ;)

amphibology29
05-18-2010, 12:53 AM
We have tons and tons of books from my childhood. Mostly regular children's story books, but also picture dictionaries and animal encyclopedias. We even have a clock teaching book from when MY mom was little! It's pretty funny; it shows the kids coming home from school, getting dinner and bath, Dad coming home and saying goodnight, then the kids going to bed at 6pm. Hello, 1950's!

Shoe
05-18-2010, 01:40 AM
I've got a very old copy of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There that belonged to my grandfather that I intend to share with my children at some point (I love these books). I've also got a copy of a book that my father wrote and had published, which I might be able to work into a senior high school course if I'm lucky (my father wrote it for college level ethics courses).