PDA

View Full Version : Forum Giveaway #1 - 24 hours to enter!!

Topsy
09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
We already have two great giveaways going on this month (see our homepage (http://www.secularhomeschool.com) to enter each!), but we thought it would be fun to throw in some extra short-term giveaways this week...right here on our forum!!

The first one is today, and it is a copy of the beautifully photographed book, Lost in Learning: The Art of Discovery (http://www.illumea.com/lost_in_learning/book.asp?dir=book) (retail value 39.95).

Lost in Learning: The Art of Discovery is an sumptuous photographic journey through the Age of Discovery. This was a time when the world was opening up in previously unimaginable ways and human creativity and exploration grew exponentially.

The optical lenses invented throughout this period revealed entirely new worlds and ideas, and throughout this book these lenses, become both the focal points of the photographs and a thematic symbol of the way we look at learning, dreaming and venturing into the great unknown.

To enter for your chance to win Lost in Learning, just comment below, sharing with us something you and your kids are learning about right now in your homeschool! (To find out more about the book, head to the website (http://www.illumea.com/lost_in_learning/home.asp)) This giveaway will end tomorrow, September 21, at 8:00am EST/7:00am CST/6:00am MST/5:00am PST, so be sure to get your entries in before that time.

And stay tuned for yet another forum giveaway this week...

kitchenjedi
09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Right now my 2nd grader is learning how to type, and my toddler has discovered that numbers go past 20.

Kati
09-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Right now we are learning how to learn..... I just started and we are finding our groove. My 5 year old is starting to sound out 3 letter words.

Kati
09-20-2011, 08:52 AM
We are learning how this whole homeschooling thing works. We just started and my son is learning how to sound out 3 letter words.

jarpsyd
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
We are immersed in Pioneers - we started reading the Little House series which led to lots of questions and interest in projects by my girls (age 5 and 7). They built a covered wagon, have done lots of drawings, and we have read lots of accounts of pioneer life. We are planning some field trips as well. Such fun!

pookybear259
09-20-2011, 09:05 AM
My kids are beginning the Prairie Primer this week with the Little House books. They both Love reading/listening to the stories so much that it was their decision to do this.

Also, my 9 yr old is learning about Weather, The state history of Florida, how to write poems, figuring out area of rectangles and squares, and the perimeter of shapes.

My 6 yr old is learning basic spelling, she has been teaching herself how to read harder books, simple math, she also is learning the state history of Florida and learning about Weather. (Being prone to hurricanes and tropical storms we decided to start with those)

Shannon Stipech Parker
09-20-2011, 09:15 AM
We are working on ancient times and monarch butterflies right now.

Pete
09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Right now my twelve year-old is learning cell structure and function.

mommykicksbutt
09-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Sonny and I are working on a novel that debunks belief in superstitious practices. The Hero of course is a boy my son's age who makes lots of discoveries by using the scientific method and looking back into the past of the great Men (and women) from the Age of Discovery. The villian is a church leader who throws obstacles in the hero's path of learning and discovery. By writing this novel, my son is making the discoveries with his hero in order to write about them.

speech mom
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
We are working on poetry, the United States, and social skills.

secularhomeschooler
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
We are working on reading and introductory Spanish.

outskirtsofbs
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Right now DD is learning about all the different American Indian tribes and their life and culture. Also we are exploring the properties of light.

Beverly
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Right now, we are covering the solar system and the big bang.

Jilly
09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Right now we are learning about modern Africa (my 12-year-old) and pioneer time (my 8-year-old).

Amanadoo
09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Right now my kids can't get enough of machines, letters and the solar system!

inmom
09-20-2011, 10:08 AM
DD is immersed in European History, biology, French, and Spanish.

DS is learning geology, trig, computer programming, and Ancient China.

h5rus
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
My daughter is loving Ancient History right now.

sdvance
09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Studying early Americans, five continents, and dolphins.

rumbledolly
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
We're working on learning about Vincent Van Gogh and his paintings along with Art as a Language on T4L (it's our universal language).

SherryZoned
09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
We are learning everything and anything....Mainly we are talking about politics and the history video games.

B12Bomba
09-20-2011, 10:31 AM
DD9 and I are working on Dyslexia Remediation with Barton, Learning Ally, and lots and lots and LOTS of reading! We are also feeding her strengths with math, science, extra outside science classes, etc. This is our first year homeschooling and we are both enjoying it, although I do not think that she will admit to it in public.

Accidental Homeschooler
09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
My older dd is learning about the Revolutionary war, solving equations, cell structure and grammar (adverbs currently). My younger dd is learning about adding to twenty, reading with phonics (lots of reading to me right now), classification of living things, and middle Egypt.

Hampchick
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
We're on vacation ;0 But my 8 yo is off at the local environmental center taking a class on alternative energies today. It's an area he is pretty interested in generally. Yay!

Teri Eddy
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Oldest: Biology and Evolution. Youngest: Life Cycles and Long Division

Lola_Granola
09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
My Kindy one and only is learning about animal habitats, ASL, Subtraction, and has just moved up to Step 3 readers. : )

Christy
09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
We are learning about haiku. In the park today, my boys, 6 and 3 were working together at composing some.

MrsLOLcat
09-20-2011, 11:05 AM
DS is currently reading about Persia and has discovered a great appreciation for their calligraphy!

Shoe
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
In the spirit of the book, we're learning to draw a map of the world and how weather works, for my daughter's love of Monkey D. Luffy (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Monkey_D._Luffy), the navigator from the anime One Piece. While her vision of a navigator and explorer has little basis in reality, her passion for it does open the doors to learning about real things.

Harris Acadamy
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Right now we're learning about homeschooling. My son is just about 3, and we're working on colors, letters, and numbers. Really just getting a feel for where he is at, and where we are at. Also how we want to move forward with homeschooling.

SilverFirefly
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Right now I am focusing on phonics with my preschooler. We are just finishing the alphabet and will move on to CVC words soon.

Kell
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
We are finishing number bonds and prehistory, and getting ready to move into ancient civilizations with my 6 year old.

My 4 year old is desperately determined to learn to read right this second. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Right now.

kewb22
09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Right now the 13 year old is learning about Civics and the role rules in social groups play in our lives. The 11 year old is learning how to observe silently for 15 minutes using all her senses.

Laina
09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
We just finished up a unit on the ocean, and this week my kids are learning about colonial America, particularly New Hampshire. :)

itsafoot
09-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Right now we are studying WWI, Mapping the World by Heart and art history... researching an artist per week and recreating one of their masterpieces.

Alaskamom
09-20-2011, 06:23 PM
My 2nd grader is learning about story structure, and summarization. My Kindy girl is blazing a trail in learning to read and I'm trying to keep up. =) She's going to be a bookworm like her mama! My 3 year old is learning about patterns.

tamitakesphotos
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
As it's our first year homeschooling, we're mostly learning a lot about each other! LOL!

We just began a unit on citizenship in MBTP, and had a nice chat about honesty and lying.

LovingMyChildren
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Very cool!

My 5 year old is relearning the concept of numbers after learning them poorly/incorrectly in preschool, photography (56 photos taken on our nature hike today) and recent trips to see Ansel Adams and Duane Micheals photographic works, that reading is actually fun, and that she can make her baby brother laugh more than anyone in the world!

My 3 year old is learning to write her letters and loves getting them right, and that colors mixed together make more colors. She also learned all about skunks.

My 7 month old is learning that family rocks!, and that he can stand up!

pnctink
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
We're preparing for our trip, so we're learning about England right now. Money, famous sites, cultural nuances, etc.

beachmama
09-20-2011, 11:27 PM
We have just started a unit on Ancient Histories. Tomorrow we will be making a family tree and learning what it takes to think like a historian.

lakshmi
09-20-2011, 11:31 PM
We're learning the geography of the US, and working on math facts. As the weather cools we move away from our outside painting and more toward the computer for languages and youtube videos.

Topsy
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Congratulations, Teri! Your comment was randomly chosen as the winner of this giveaway! Be on the lookout for an email or PM from us to confirm your shipping info. And thanks to EVERYONE who entered...it was so much fun for us to read what everyone is learning right now! :)

Be on the lookout for our second great forum giveaway coming up soon!!

Teri Eddy
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Wow! shocked! I never win anything! Thank you!!!! Very excited :)

lakshmi
09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Congrats Teri!!!

Alaskamom
09-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Boo for me, Yay for you! Congrats Teri! =)

Shoe
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Congratulations Teri!

Tayonoss
09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
gratz teri!!!