PDA

View Full Version : Working out of Home and homeschooling?

Heather Harris
09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
It's been forever (and I do mean forever) since I've been by the board, but we recently began Kindergarten with my DD and I stumbled back over my bookmark today, just in time to pick everyone's brains. :D

I work out of the home, in retail. My hours fluctuate, but I'm pretty much at a full time schedule by the time Christmas rolls around, with a manager who is itching to promote me. My husband and I work opposite shifts, which eliminates the need for daycare and allows me the time to homeschool. Hubby doesn't share in the teaching; his personality really isn't suited to it.

Does anyone else manage to work out of the home and still educate their children properly? There are no homeschoolers in my area who aren't SAHMs, so I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it is possible (and that I'm not certifiably insane...).

Gabriela
09-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes, I do! I work full time at home and homeschool my 8yr old boy. I run a volunteer center from my house, and a social arts project. I've managed to delegate a lot of the project activities to other people, but I'm still on call 24/7 for volunteers, and have to do quite a bit of computer correspondence and admin work. I don't know if I manage to educate my son -properly-, but we manage. We have a lot of interruptions, so we sometimes don't finish our school day until 6pm. My office is on the third floor, so at least we're kind of safe from the chaos downstairs. We mostly work in my office, where I have two computers set up. This way I can get him started on something, be available if he has questions, and get a little of my own work done. I try to plan activities that I can leave him working on alone at high-interruption times of the day, so that he can keep on working if I need to attend to something else, and schedule the more complex subjects (like science and history) during times when I can fully concentrate on being with him. There are so many things that they can practice on their own, it's just a matter of creating the right schedule. I know it's not ideal, and dream of one day being able to dedicate myself fully to homeschooling, but for now, it is what it is. If it wasn't because we can work from home, we probably wouldn't be able to homeschool, right? All this said, I don't know how you do it with four. Wow! I don't think you're insane, but you might be Superwoman :)

itsafoot
09-17-2011, 12:03 AM
I own a medical consulting firm and work exclusively from my home. I can't say that I am hsing successfully as we are just starting our 4th week and are still trying to find our groove, but we are managing. I am fortunate that my dd is 11 and that she really has never known me not working from home and knows when I am in the middle of an important call or I need a moment to figure something or another out... and when she was younger I could yell without making a sound (yes it is all in the look). Being that she is older, she is a little more autonomous. I have adjusted some things such as getting up a bit earlier to do email, work on contracts, correspond with clients in other time zones... and I have given up my home office. It was just too small for the two of us so we have taken over the dinning room table. The one great thing I KNOW I am teaching her is that you can do whatever you want if you out your mind to it. I am teaching her that working hard can pay off... and that it is okay to be a successful business woman.

itsafoot
09-17-2011, 12:07 AM
*put your mind to it...

Also just like Gabriela, I plan certain activities when I know I am going to have a light day or there is a portion of the day that I know I have a good chunk of free time. If it is a crazy day... heck.. it is a full of "free reading" or Netflix episodes of "How it is Made."

Shoe
09-17-2011, 12:23 AM
It's been forever (and I do mean forever) since I've been by the board, but we recently began Kindergarten with my DD and I stumbled back over my bookmark today, just in time to pick everyone's brains. :D

I work out of the home, in retail. My hours fluctuate, but I'm pretty much at a full time schedule by the time Christmas rolls around, with a manager who is itching to promote me. My husband and I work opposite shifts, which eliminates the need for daycare and allows me the time to homeschool. Hubby doesn't share in the teaching; his personality really isn't suited to it.

Does anyone else manage to work out of the home and still educate their children properly? There are no homeschoolers in my area who aren't SAHMs, so I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it is possible (and that I'm not certifiably insane...).

Yes, I work full time in the afternoon/evenings while being the primary educator at home. Not much time for myself anymore.

EDIT: I may have misread your post-I work outside the home full time, not from home.

lakshmi
09-17-2011, 01:26 AM
yes work both parents work at home, and we get nothing done some days and more other days. We take the children everywhere we go and to everything we do. They learn how to adapt. We're actually at home more and I am getting more homeschooling done than work recently.

Heather Harris
09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm glad to hear that there are families out there making it work! I always knew it would be a difficult task, but the reality of trying to find time to plan, school, etc, plus leave the house to work....well, I kind of had my rose colored glasses on at first. Thankfully, my kids are still small and we'll be figuring it out together.