PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Texas :)

schwartzkari
05-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I am so happy to find this group, I've been searching and searching for something that fits my family's lifestyle and I think this is it!

I have two children, my son is 1 and my daughter is 5. I currently homeschool my daughter, this is our second year. I started out teaching her preschool and one thing lead to another...lol. I am currently attending University of Phoenix online to finish my early childhood education degree and the plan is to homeschool both of my kids from preschool thru highschool. My husband is extremely supportive about homeschool and so is our immediate family.

I've been married for 7 years and live in Lewisville, TX.

:)

Snoopy
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the group! I fell into homeschooling with my youngest child, the same way you did. I started teaching him his letters and numbers when it was about 3 and it naturally evolved in homeschooling, something I didn't even know existed. We have a few members from TX so be sure to visit the TX group as well (under "groups").

Shoe
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the site schwartzkari. Be sure to check out the "Groups" page for the Texas and New Homeschoolers groups too. I think you'll find a lot of support, advice and helpful information here.

Cheers.

Teri
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Welcome! I am new also to the board (but not to homeschooling).

We live in McKinney!

schwartzkari
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

Topsy
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Welcome schwartzkari! We started way back in the day with "Teach Your Child to Read"...makes me a little nostalgic reading your signature, now.;) What fun ages for being at home with your kids...enjoy every minute! Before you turn around they are teenagers and homeschooling looks completely different (although still great, I should add!)

Topsy

schwartzkari
05-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh, I love being home with my kids.
We are on lesson 25 in TYCR and I'm amazed with my daughter's progress. I actually got teary eyed the other night when she read 2 sentences to me, haha :)

Snoopy
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I actually got teary eyed the other night when she read 2 sentences to me, haha :) i know, isn't that the best feeling, though? "Teaching Your Child to Read" didn't work out for Noah and I because I just don't get the English phonetic alphabet but I remember bawling like a baby when he read his first BOB book :)

schwartzkari
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
i know, isn't that the best feeling, though? "Teaching Your Child to Read" didn't work out for Noah and I because I just don't get the English phonetic alphabet but I remember bawling like a baby when he read his first BOB book :)

Another great benefit of homeschooling, changing the program if it doesn't work :)
We tried Hooked on Phonics and StarFall and my daughter said they were boring to her. I came across TYCTR and was pretty skeptical about it because of how it is laid out, but we started doing it and she clicked with it. I like how the instructions are right there for me to read to her, that way I don't feel like a rambling mommy when I'm trying to explain something to her, LOL.