PDA

View Full Version : Co-op Classes

hreneeh
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Okay I belong to a great co-op who offer a range of classes. Almost all of them are one day a week. It means I'm at this facility from 9am to 12pm, and they are NOT small child friendly. It leaves me with 3 hours of trying to find anything to keep my 2.5 yr old out of trouble, and I'm not winning. I was SO stressed this past week and that was with my husband there to help. Also, sitting unable to do anything other than keep my 2.5 yr old out of trouble is really hard for me. I mean that is 3 hours of crap I could be getting done.

So here's my issue, I feel guilty taking my son out because I know he enjoys the classes (PE and Art) and talking to the other kids. But 3 hours is just soooo long. I don't think I can do it. My husband told me to try one more week and see if the kinks work out and then to just explain to our son that it just isn't working. He takes other classes(horseback riding and fencing), just not with homeschool kids and he has a great group of kids he plays with once they are home from school so he gets plenty of interaction. Am I scarring him for life by pulling him? Should I give it one more week or two?

eta - The group itself isn't small child unfriendly, where the classes are being held is. It's not the group's fault, apparently the youth center on base has a burr up it's butt about us, I don't know if they are trying to run us out or what but they pretty much confined all children under 5 to a tiny room, no windows no toys and said stay there or outside, this is a place for school aged children. I think the leaders of the group are at a loss of what to do about it and it's probably going to go all the way up to the Garrison Commander. But for now it sucks.

farrarwilliams
09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Is anyone else in your situation? It seems bizarre to me that a homeschool co-op would exist that is small child unfriendly? That would be a reason for me to ditch it right there. Also, if he's there for 3 hours, why don't you just go home? If he's just in classes, why do you have to be there?

hreneeh
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
sorry I didnt' explain properly. They aren't small child unfriendly, where the classes are being held is. It's not their fault, apparently the youth center on post has a burr up it's butt about us, I don't know if they are trying to run us out or what but they pretty much confined all children under 5 to a tiny room, no windows no toys and said stay there or outside, this is a place for school aged children. I think the leaders of the group are at a loss of what to do about it and it's probably going to go all the way up to the Garrison Commander. But for now it sucks.

Stella M
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Can you take indoor stuff for the little ones, make it more of a playgroup ? Music, playdough, stories, snacks, blocks ? If you bring some mats for the littles to play on, all the mess can be rolled up at the end and it won't dirty up the littles room.

How old is your ds in the class ? Is it feasible to leave him in class and got to a park nearby with the little one ?

I always try to remember that opportunities like outside classes or co-op normally come around more than once. If you decide its all too hard - and I would, I never did anything with the girls that was baby/toddler unfriendly when I had an under 3 yr old - you can just say to ds "We're having a break from co-op for a while, until they find a more suitable venue. Let's plan some playdates and/or fun projects at home in the meantime." and not feel a jot of guilt about it.

It takes a lot more bad than that to scar a child for life :)

farrarwilliams
09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
That's just stressful for everyone. Yuck. I would just quit. No scarring for life, really! Maybe if everyone with young children walks, then you can all do PE with the older kids somewhere else together.

krlaz
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I agree with Farrar. It just sounds too stressful. Hopefully your coop will find another place to have these classes. It sounds like this is not a good fit for the group, especially if there are lots of little ones running around with nothing to do!

Can you arrange an art class on a different day or time somewhere else? Maybe invite some of the homeschool friends your son likes to your house for a little coop at another time? That way he still gets to interact with the kids. Hope something works out for you!

Beverly
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
To make sure I understand: it isn't the co-op, it is the facility that has the problem? By "us" you mean the co-op not your family?
Who is leading the co-op? The one we just joined has supervised play time set up for non-participating (in that class) siblings and a pot-luck lunch between classes. In a co-op situation it seems there might be room for parents to volunteer to offer some activities or at least agree to bring toys and snacks for the little kids as Sadie suggested.

hreneeh
09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Right it is the facility we are using. I'm a military mom. This is a military group. So it is really formal, there is a President, a board you know everything. This year the group has increased by a lot! The youth center on base for whatever reason doesn't seem to want us anymore. So, at the first day of classes they laid out all these ridiculous rules. Especially those for people with children under 5 (which is the vast majority). Even if we brought toys, there is nowhere to go. The room they want us in is a movie room, it is approximately 10x15 and there would be maybe 25-30 children in there from 3 months to 4 years old. It would be insane. There is a great open area, which we've all used up till now. They said this is a place of business and you're too loud. Well it is a YOUTH CENTER!!! I've been in there when the school aged kids are in there. The homeschool group has nothing on them. This is what makes me (and most of the group) think they just don't want us there anymore and are making it as difficult as possible. The problem is there really isn't anywhere else on base that is such a good fit. We'll probably end up at the base gym, but that has its own sets of issues.

Beverly
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Uhg, that is tough. I would join with the other parents and go over their heads as you mentioned. someone their has issues with small kids or home schoolers and needs the stick removed. Or I would leave and use the time to run errands or go get a cup of coffee. Is there a near by church that you could use? Our co-op is totally secular and meets in a church (some can be pretty liberal).