PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone in Canada know?

Tayonoss
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi sorry to bother everyone here but I just had a question. We are a very low income ( I work part - time and my husband is at homewith the kids) family who are now homeschooling the children and my question is can income assistance( Welfare) cut you off of support if you homeschool your children? I asked the homeschool legal defence here in New Brunswick and they wont answer unless you are a member and that cost like 140.00 which we do not have.

If anyone knows the answer or knows where to find the answer I would love to know as I can see this being a fight with them and I like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks Tracy

DragonFaerie
09-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi! I don't have an answer to your question but I wanted to say that questions are never a bother. That's why we're all here! I hope someone pops up who can help you out. :)

Shoe
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi sorry to bother everyone here but I just had a question. We are a very low income ( I work part - time and my husband is at homewith the kids) family who are now homeschooling the children and my question is can income assistance( Welfare) cut you off of support if you homeschool your children? I asked the homeschool legal defence here in New Brunswick and they wont answer unless you are a member and that cost like 140.00 which we do not have.

If anyone knows the answer or knows where to find the answer I would love to know as I can see this being a fight with them and I like to be prepared ahead of time.

Thanks Tracy

I don't know the answer, but found this pamphlet from the NB Ministry of Education (http://www.gnb.ca/0000/publications/ss/Home%20Schooling.pdf) about homeschooling requirements. It has a list of phone numbers for more information in the different regions. Maybe they can answer.

There is also this organization for homeschoolers (it is a Christian organization), but maybe someone there knows the answer: Home Educators of New Brunswick (http://www.henb.org/).

Here are some links to the law (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/f-02-01.htm) and regulations (http://www.gnb.ca/0062/regs/95-61.htm). I don't see anything specific against homeschooling, but wonder if this clause:

"6. As a condition of continuing eligibility for assistance, all persons in a unit shall

(b)continue to satisfy the Minister that they continue to explore, to the best of their ability, every possibility of financial support, employment, training and education and every possible opportunity for self-sufficiency available to them" might be used to justify that, since you may not be available to seek employment, training or education if you are at home educating your children? But I'm not a lawyer and don't live in Canada, so I'm just speculating.

Tayonoss
09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Dragon and Shoe ,ty Shoe for taking the time and posting those links. I have contacted the above people to see if they might have a clue. thanks again

Shoe
09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Dragon and Shoe ,ty Shoe for taking the time and posting those links. I have contacted the above people to see if they might have a clue. thanks again

You're welcome, and good luck.

hockeymom
09-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Where in NB are you? We just moved back to the States from the Saint John area.

Shoe gave you some good links; I hope someone can help you. Home Educators I believe is located in SJ; however they are devoutly Christian (statement of faith and all that) so I wasn't in contact with them. There is also a secular homeschool group in Moncton called MASHE; you might contact them as well. They are a yahoo group and mostly social, but someone there might be able to help.

Someone else who might be able to help is Homeschool and More (http://www.homeschoolandmore.ca/aboutus.asp), a shop located in Petitcodiac. The family has been homeschooling a long time and might be able to offer assistance.

I would be a little wary letting the school district if you are struggling financially. If they aren't totally on board with homeschooling as an educational choice, they could possibly try to show you can't provide what they deem is needed (computer access, etc). I'd think they would have to be pretty nasty to go out of their way like that, but homeschooling is so uncommon and misunderstood there, I'd just keep it in mind. That shouldn't prevent you from contacting the province though, even if anonymously if possible.

Good luck and let us know what you dig up. Mostly I found that the province was completely uninterested in us once we left the school system so we had total freedom to homeschool how we saw fit. :)

Tayonoss
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
hi hockey mom. Were in Saint John. We did contact home educators and also fundy home schoolers( they are the same group) was told they didnt know but if I wanted to join their group( cost of 25.00 for 1 group and cost of 20.00 for the other they would help me find out) I think I will stay away from them for now..was given the inpression let God handle all the trouble and everything will work out. Not quite what I had in mind lol.

As for the school district here they only asked me if the children had a computer or access to the internet( we do) and then told me they had no problems with me homeschooling them. I think they are very uninvolved and I like it.

:)

hockeymom
09-15-2011, 12:50 PM
That's too bad about the response you got from Fundy. :( Did you look up MASHE? The folks over there are very helpful and nice; most of their field trips were in the Moncton area so it's a bit of a drive, but they might be able to help you. No membership fee required (and secular)! :)

I wish I could give you some names of contacts, but in our year and a half of homeschooling there we didn't meet any other local homeschoolers. I hope you have found a support group; otherwise, this makes a great place to hang out! :)

Let us know what you find out. I can't imagine there being educational requirements tied to assistance. Does the province really need to get involved, or is this just for your own peace of mind?

Tayonoss
09-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Woohoo.. Just got some great news. They can not affect my income beause I homeschool( JUst had the head of the dept call me). What a load off my shoulders. Ty all for your help . I am a worrier..the links were a great help

Shoe
09-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Woohoo.. Just got some great news. They can not affect my income beause I homeschool( JUst had the head of the dept call me). What a load off my shoulders. Ty all for your help . I am a worrier..the links were a great help

That's great! glad to hear it!

LovingMyChildren
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Great to hear!!

hockeymom
09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
That is good news! :)