PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten much, I have.

Cafdog
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
While I'm not quite as old as Yoda, I'm feeling it today. I was working with DD on grammar, and had a very embarrassing moment. She asked me to re-explain what a predicate was, and darned if I could remember! I had to confess, then run upstairs to my computer...and look it up!

It has been such a long time since my own school days. This HS journey is really reminding me how much I've forgotten in the ensuing years. Sigh.

Either it's a sign of age, or I really am missing all of those brain cells I squandered over the years. Just say no, kids.

Shoe
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
While I'm not quite as old as Yoda, I'm feeling it today. I was working with DD on grammar, and had a very embarrassing moment. She asked me to re-explain what a predicate was, and darned if I could remember! I had to confess, then run upstairs to my computer...and look it up!

It has been such a long time since my own school days. This HS journey is really reminding me how much I've forgotten in the ensuing years. Sigh.

Either it's a sign of age, or I really am missing all of those brain cells I squandered over the years. Just say no, kids.

This is a regular occurrence for me. I guess it's good that I consider myself a facilitator for my kids' learning, rather than trying to impart my own knowledge to them.

belacqua
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Oh, sympathy much, I give.

When the kid was younger, I could get away with a teacherly bluff. "Why don't we look that up together? Where do you think we should look?"

Now, I just have to admit my ignorance. Very humbling.

And now I have Schoolhouse Rock in my head. Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does. I shall seek my revenge, Cafdog! :)

PBB
09-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Thankfully, our grammar curriculum is very scripted!

Pefa
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
And now I have Schoolhouse Rock in my head. Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does. I shall seek my revenge, Cafdog! :)

Thanks a lot now I do too.

I have no problem admitting the depths of my ignorance. I just say "I don't know. How are you going to find out?" and go from there. I do wish metric conversions would stick a bit better but c'est la vie.

hockeymom
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
This is a regular occurrence for me. I guess it's good that I consider myself a facilitator for my kids' learning, rather than trying to impart my own knowledge to them.

This. Totally.

:)

Greenmother
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I bought some English Grammar books, the ones used by editors. Really just a glorified cheat sheet with two covers made of chipboard. :)
It's not just you.

Cafdog
09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I bought some English Grammar books, the ones used by editors. Really just a glorified cheat sheet with two covers made of chipboard. :)
It's not just you.

OOOH. Titles, Plz. I could really use a quick and handy reference like that!

And apologies to all of you who are cursing my name and singing "Conjunction, Junction". My bad. If it makes you feel any better, I just moved SchoolHouse Rock to the top of my Netflix queue. Looks like I need it again! So much of what I learned in life came from SchoolHouse Rock.

Funny side story. When I was a freshman in college, I was taking my first exam in Political Science 101. I swear half the class was singing "I'm Just a Bill" quietly to themselves through the whole test! LOL

Cafdog
09-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Very good point. Accepting that I am not the source of all knowledge is not only a humbling reminder to myself - but also the way to let my DD make her own discoveries. I'm such a goal-orientated, check-things-off-the-list type that I struggle with the "journey" sometimes, and rush her and I through life. This is an excellent reminder that I have far, far to go in my personal development in this area! :)

Lak001
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Having done all my schooling and college in India, I must say my grammar is not solid. I have a grammar book that I refer to when I'm teaching my dd. Most of it I have to learn first before I teach her anything in it. But I'm glad I got this opportunity to improve my grammar, which I would never have bothered if not for HSing. Another great lesson learnt from why you need to homeschool your kids :)

Edited: pardon my ignorance pls. What is Schoolhouse Rock?

dbmamaz
09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Lak, look up school house rock on youtube. it was a series of educational musical cartoons which played in between saturday morning cartoons when we were kids.

I love telling my older son to 'go look it up'! My younger will lose interest too quickly for that, but the older one is getting good w google!

Shoe
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Edited: pardon my ignorance pls. What is Schoolhouse Rock?I was wondering the same thing.

EDIT:

Lak, look up school house rock on youtube. it was a series of educational musical cartoons which played in between saturday morning cartoons when we were kids.

I love telling my older son to 'go look it up'! My younger will lose interest too quickly for that, but the older one is getting good w google!
I guess that answers my question.

lakshmi
09-14-2011, 01:58 AM
SEriously, shoe, no schoolhouse rock? Where was your TV in 1979?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

Watch them all and then get the music. Just the most catchy tunes ever written.
It is like a cultural programing of the highest extreme. Saturday morning cartoons and Schoolhouse rock interludes.

Grammar, I can't even spell it, can be looked up when necessary right? I mean, does everyone keep these rules in their heads for normal jobs, as in not writers?

Busygoddess
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Grammar is not an area that I have trouble with. However, we own The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need, and my dd uses that as a reference whenever she's struggling to remember something.

Geography is actually my biggest area of struggle. Just yesterday, I was checking out this free online quiz where you need to put the state capitals on the right state. Well, the map is just an outline map, without state names marked. So, when the capital pops up, you not only have to remember which state it goes to, but also where that state is. It took me just over 8 minutes to complete it. I was rather irritated.

We all have areas where we aren't particularly strong or where we've forgotten quite a bit since school (or that they didn't cover much in our school or gave us incorrect info in school). Now, we get a second chance to fill those gaps in our education. Just one of the many things I love about homeschooling my kids.

Cafdog
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Edited: pardon my ignorance pls. What is Schoolhouse Rock?

Oooh Lak001 and Shoe - I hope you get a chance to experience SchoolHouse Rock! I'm a child of the 70s, and nothing makes me smile like a song from that show. You'd be amazed how grown men and women will start singing "A noun is a person, place, or thing" in unison if asked. A great way of sneaking in learning - and they've aged quite well, really. :)

Greenmother
09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I got mine at Lakeshore learning, but you can go to this Amazon.com search result (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Style+books&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Style+books+grammar&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AStyle+books+grammar)and see a pile of them.

Theresa Holland Ryder
09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm at least half as old as Yoga. Predicates tripped me up because they were called something else back when we rode our dinos to school. Grammar terminology has shifted significantly over the years and had me shrieking in pain when I first started homeschooling.

I feel so much smarter after having gone through G.U.M. with two kids. (The daughter is finishing up the last book this year).

Theresa Holland Ryder
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Oooh Lak001 and Shoe - I hope you get a chance to experience SchoolHouse Rock! I'm a child of the 70s, and nothing makes me smile like a song from that show. You'd be amazed how grown men and women will start singing "A noun is a person, place, or thing" in unison if asked. A great way of sneaking in learning - and they've aged quite well, really. :)

When I was in 8th grade, we had a test in Social Studies covering the US Constitution. You could tell when somebody was on the "write out the Preamble" question by their humming of the song. Later the teacher asked, "What was that thing you were all humming during the test?" and looked at us in total amazement when we burst out in unison with the School House Rock Preamble Song.

Stella M
09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
My education was so rubbish that there wasn't much to forget. It's all new to me. Slight exaggeration, but if I come across stuff I don't know I blame it on my schooling rather than my memory.

LovingMyChildren
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I admit I've forgotten a lot. I admit I've never learned a lot. But, does my five year old really need to remind me how more than me she knows or thinks she knows? (pretty sure that last sentence was grammatically super-incorrect btw:)

coloradoalice
09-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Honestly I have done some of my best learning as a teacher, first as a classroom and now as a mom. I hardly remembered anything from school, I was one of the kids who was way more interested in socializing than learning. I'm sure it will become even more obvious when they are bigger!

belacqua
09-14-2011, 08:07 PM
When I was in 8th grade, we had a test in Social Studies covering the US Constitution. You could tell when somebody was on the "write out the Preamble" question by their humming of the song. Later the teacher asked, "What was that thing you were all humming during the test?" and looked at us in total amazement when we burst out in unison with the School House Rock Preamble Song.

Heh. We had the same thing happen in a class; there was a test question about the preamble, and our proctor, a visitor from Australia, wondered why everybody was humming. Sadly, this wasn't Grade 8 but law school.

Cole'sMom
09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Here is a decent online/software program for grammar: grammarlogues. It is $40 for the year via homeschoolbuyerscoop.com and is for as many students as you are teaching (each can set up each with their own log in and grades.) The tests are difficult (fill in the blank style) and you will really have to know your stuff to do well.
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1372&c=1
It's for middle school to high school and it's thorough. Best thing is that your kids will be able to navigate it alone! They can look up topics or use a predetermined map, or you can assign different tutorials based on what they are getting wrong on essays, papers, etc. I think it's worth the money!