PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Let Go

itsafoot
09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I am a total type A, planner, organizer...I feel out of sorts when things are not in their place or there is not a concrete plan leading to a final goal. I knew going into this hsing thing that my daughter was the complete opposite, but I did not realize how completely opposite we were! So along with her, I am learning... to let go of what I want and to let it be about her. I will admit it is difficult. I still feel as if we are a little discombobulated and may not have a clear path, but I see that she does better when we can just go with the flow and let the day dictate what we do and what we get accomplished. I have decided that quality is more important that quantity and that it is not worth pushing the completion of an assignment just to check it off the list. I do have my must do everyday list, but from this list I let her pick how she would like to complete the task (computer, work book, discussion etc...). I know I am going to slip up, but I am okay with that (I think)...I should probably have a plan for when that happens.

sdvance
09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
It sounds like you are finding a rhythm that is acceptable to you both. I don't know how old your daughter is, but it took us a while to figure out that homeschooling wasn't "school at home".

Stella M
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh man, it is so hard to do what you are doing! I have an opposite too. Biggest learning curve of my home school career so far.
The good news is, hard as it is, by recognising the need to teach to the child you have, you get to preserve your relationship with the child. Well done mama!

5amigos
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
i hear you. it is so hard, and i am trying to learn lessons in this situation every day. one of my boys can just push me to my outermost limits. he is so different than i am, but i'm learning i had a lot more patience than i thought. :)
one thing i have been doing when i feel frustrated during the day, is i just look at what we've done so far for the day. even if its 10 a.m. i am usually able to see at least ONE thing that is positive that we have accomplished, or read together, or discussed and i can call it good!
i think we learn a lot about ourselves and our children when we are in a position where we have to 'let go' of our own ideas and expectations. thanks for sharing your insight.

Lak001
09-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Your post struck a chord in me! I was in the same predicament when I started HSing my dd about 9 months ago. It was quite a struggle in the beginning. Struggle is an understatement actually. There was a lot of tears shed, both mine and hers'. Then I started to let go of that compulsive control I wanted to have over her. It didn't do us any good. We have come a long way from where we began, and it's a lot more peaceful now. Like you, I let her pick what she wants in our daily schedule of work. And am not so meticulous about what gets done. I just want her to learn something each day and that suffices for now. Maybe we'll get more focused when we go to higher grades.
It takes a lot to let go of the control freaks in us. But once you do it, it impacts on the quality of your life and for the better. That's from experience I'm talking :)