PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was fun

Wilma
05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I had to send my kids down into the storm shelter today. They were down there with the dog, the guinea pigs, the parakeet and the bearded dragon. My poor youngest was in tears because she couldn't bring her goldfish and because her daddy was still at work. My oldest wanted to take photos of the clouds, and my middle one was being mom to her little sister while I stayed topside watching the TV. Loads of fun.

In all seriousness, this all blew up very quickly even though we were told there was a chance of severe weather today. 4 people were killed in the storms today. The storm chasers are still out in the eastern part of the state. And now, it is just a lovely evening in our area. Crazy weather we have here.

Snoopy
05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh no! I'm glad you're OK... in OK.

Hurricane season starts on June 1st, and we have no such things as storm shelters here in Florida. Not even a basement, since the water table is so close to the surface. We're going to have to make do with our bathroom as our "safe room" (it's tiny and we'd have to cram all 8 of us plus 2 cats in there, but it doesn't have any windows) if a hurricane shows up. I sure hope it doesn't... last time we had one, we ended up actually having 4 of them in a couple of weeks' time and by the time the 4th one came along, I was so burnt out of stressing that I didn't even get anything ready. Hurricane season lasts until December 1, with September/October being the worst months for potential storms, IMO.

This reminds me that I should probably review our hurricane supplies and go buy some bottled water and put some gas in the extra gas tanks before the next storm hits. Oh, and get an outdoors grill.

AlishaYouch
05-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Ann, I'm glad it all blew by you and spared you. That is so scary! I had to take Daniel into out basement (in New Hampshire) a few times when we lived there - - Daniel, a squirmy dog and a hand-crank radio that got no reception in the basement so I could not hear the weather report - not very useful! Here in GA, as in Snoopy's case, we have no basement, and the only windowless space we have is our laundry room (about 4 sq. ft. of floor space inside essentially a closet.) We are pulling together our hurricane kit right now, as well. Until last year, we were supposed to take shelter at the Navy Base where my husband is stationed (1 miles from our house.) Apparently they have changed that this year, so we have to come up with an evacuation plan. (Here's hoping for sheltering in place!!)

Wilma
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
When I lived in Atlanta 20 years ago, tornadoes blew through all the time. I didn't realize that was southern tornado alley! No basements, no storm sirens. I didn't even know about tornado sirens when I lived there. It's amazing more people weren't killed as there was no warning system. My parents had a huge one blow through their city in NC and there have been several tornado outbreaks there, yet they have no sirens or warning systems. I am very surprised at that.

Nathalie, yes, you need to check your supplies. DH is always after me to keep our emergency stores up to date and well stocked. Comes in very handy when we have an ice storm and the grocery stores are emptied by panicked people!

Snoopy
05-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Wow I saw footage of that tornado with its 4 or 5 funnels all at the same time on the news this morning... Scary! We've had tornadoes hit and destroy several homes about 20 miles North of us several times over the past few years. You never know where they're going to hit but it always seems that they hit in the same general area. I'm just glad we don't live in a mobile home.

BPier12
05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
So glad that all is well with you and your family, Ann! I grew up in southern Indiana and we had tornado warnings all springs and summer long (it seemed that way, anyway...). We are new to the land of hurricanes. Any suggestions from those of you who live in Florida/Atlantic Coast on good websites for hurricane preparedness? Any tips/tricks you've learned along the way to ease evacuation if it becomes necessary? We live on the Atlantic side of the state and the threat of hurricanes is very real for us and quite honestly, very scary for me.

Shoe
05-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Ann,

I'm glad to hear you and your family are alright. We've got a half basement if we needed to escape bad storms, but here in NH, the weather related problems we've had have been mostly power outages from ice storms (for which I bought a generator last summer after being without power for 9 days the previous winter) and flooding (we put in a perimeter drain around the house but we live at the top of a hill, so not such a big concern here). I know there were a couple of tornadoes in the the state last year, but not very close to us.

I'm in the process of getting better prepared for emergencies (useless to try to prepare when the disaster hits), but it's slow going. Managing our pets in the event we had to evacuate would be the toughest part I think, since during the ice storm power outages, none of the local emergency shelters would take animals (we stayed in our house, despite temperatures inside dropping into the low 30's F).

Snoopy
05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
but here in NH, the weather related problems we've had have been mostly power outages from ice storms (for which I bought a generator last summer after being without power for 9 days the previous winter) .

No power for 9 days in the middle of a NH winter?!?! We lost power for only 24 hours in one of the hurricanes and it was miserable (very very hot and humid and no way to get information from anywhere) and it was HELL. I know, I'm a delicate flower :) We were thinking about getting a generator in case it happened again but... didn't. It seems like such a big expense, but I'm sure we'll be wishing we had one the next time we lose power again.

Shoe
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
No power for 9 days in the middle of a NH winter?!?! We lost power for only 24 hours in one of the hurricanes and it was miserable (very very hot and humid and no way to get information from anywhere) and it was HELL. I know, I'm a delicate flower :) We were thinking about getting a generator in case it happened again but... didn't. It seems like such a big expense, but I'm sure we'll be wishing we had one the next time we lose power again.

Yeah, it wasn't much fun...not just power, but because we're on a well, no water...and if that wasn't enough...our septic tank has an electrical pump, so no toilets either (if we poured water down them to flush, it would have all backed up). Last summer, we spent a ton to get a built-in whole house automatic switch-on propane-powered emergency generator. A lot of money, but worth the peace of mind (especially for my wife).

December 2008 Ice Storm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2008_New_England_and_Upstate_New_York_ice _storm)

I remember back in 1998 when I was visiting my parents in Kingston ON, Canada we got caught in the middle of another ice storm that left us without power for 14 days-fortunately there, my folks had a woodstove, a natural gas heater for water (so we had hot showers in the dark), and it was a lot more tolerable.

North American Ice Storm 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998)

reversemigration
05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm glad you made it through without any damage or injuries, Ann. Given how capricious tornadoes are, it's always nerve-wracking when the sirens go off. Unlike hurricanes, you don't have much advance warning, and you don't know precisely where they'll hit.

Wilma
05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Honestly, I wasn't all that worried but I obviously felt I had to put the kids in a safe location just in case. I took the 2 youngest to swim lessons early this morning and their coach said after the older kids practiced yesterday afternoon they went our in to the parking lot and the wall cloud passed directly overhead. He said it was like watching water swirl in a toilet the way the clouds were spinning. DH said one of his co-workers lost his house.

Believe is or not, basements are not the norm in OK. I am very glad dh insisted on having a "fraidy hole" put in the garage when we moved. I know a lot of people who say they will just leave their houses when a tornado is coming. While we have a great warning system here, we do have time when things fire up quickly. Plus, you have to deal with all the people trying to get out of the way of the tornado in their cars along with you!

But I would much rather deal with the tornadoes here than the earthquakes we had in CA. And the wildfires. I actually like the storms we get here. No one does thunderstorms like central OK! Our house faces north and we can look out our living room window and see some spectacular light shows with the lightning. One of the neatest experiences I had was camping in a severe storm (Does that qualify me as a thrill seeker?) I had a friend whose ex-dh was a storm chaser. I really wanted to go out with him. But, my kids are always with me when the storms hit, we don't go out when we know the risk of severe weather is high, and we have our hole in the ground. So we just enjoy the wild nature at home.

hjdong
05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
With all the earthquakes recently, we finally did the last bit of preparing we needed (and the most important part) and got water storage. Now to fill it. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that everything was o.k. for you.

Topsy
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear you and your kids and pets all made it safely through the storms!! That must be so scary!! We've only had to run for the basement one time since our kids were born, and it was definitely not fun. One definite advantage of living in the mountains - - very few tornadoes!!

Wilma
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Topsy, I grew up in Raleigh and I remember being alone in my parents very large house (I was housesitting during college) when we had a tornado outbreak. I remember watching the news and seeing the line of storms work its way across the state. I was in Atlanta in 1988 when and F4 went through Raleigh at midnight the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It came within a mile of my parents' house. I remember coming home from the beach and trying to outrun a tornado. And they still have no warnings or sirens there. I don't remember any in Atlanta either. It's not like there are not tornadoes in that part of the country.

ginnyjf
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Wow, glad you're okay! We got the tail end of those storms in MO and that was nasty enough for me. No basement runs, but Zack did spend most of the night in our bed. I know there's more severe weather in the forecast, so stay safe!

LJean
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear you are all safe!
I haven't figured out what we will do if we have to deal with a hurricane this year. No basements here, and many pets. (including two bearded dragons) ;)

Museling
05-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Believe is or not, basements are not the norm in OK. I am very glad dh insisted on having a "fraidy hole" put in the garage when we moved. I know a lot of people who say they will just leave their houses when a tornado is coming. While we have a great warning system here, we do have time when things fire up quickly. Plus, you have to deal with all the people trying to get out of the way of the tornado in their cars along with you!

That's what my Granddad called them too! Except his fraidy hole was a storm cellar out in Arkansas. We've been pretty fortunate around here so far this year. I remember the one that hit in 2000 in downtown fort worth (I think it was 2000? Can't remember) that knocked out a lot of the glass in the skyscapers. I got picked up as a temp auditor for one the disaster repair companies that came through. And the only reason I'm telling you this is because I got to stand near (ten feet) an open window on the 32nd story! It was so scary but I had to do it (not for the job, for the adrenaline!) :)

inmom
05-15-2010, 03:36 PM
My kids and I discuss WHY people live where they do, given the weather hazards. As they get older, they realize no ONE place is safe from weather disasters. The best you can do is hope and be prepared!

Carol