PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Building Museum Homeschool Day: Who's going?

Mum
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Anyone else in the DC Metro area signing up for the National Building Museum Homeschool Day? We went last year and did the City Planning Class. It was great!

Here's a link: http://go.nbm.org/site/Calendar/236458220?view=Detail&id=111411

Kell
09-21-2011, 01:36 PM
This sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could get my oldest there and deal with the younger two. One is too young and the other is adamantly opposed to anything that requires not hiding behind my leg in public.

You have reminded me that I need to make more of an effort to get them to the zoo or down to the monuments and mall before it gets cold. We're not big weekday metro people (I'm cheap, and hate having to be at the station by 8:30 to get a parking spot) and there has been track work every weekend we're free. I'm going to just bite the bullet and go next week, I guess.

Also, I love that there are a few local-ish people here.

farrarwilliams
09-21-2011, 08:45 PM
We did it twice and it was really good. I just wish they would change the program offerings because otherwise, I guess I'd considering redoing City by Design next year as it will have been two years since the kids did it. But there's no other classes they could even do for another year on top of that. Oh well. I'm also just bummed that the NBM is charging admission now.

clancariens
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Kell where in VA are you? I'm in Prince William County.

Kell
09-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Solar decathlon starts Friday, also. This I am definitely taking the kids for. My boys have as big an interest in eco-friendliness and design as I do.

Kell
09-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm in Fairfax Co, but we're in PW a lot. You guys have the IKEA. :)

farrarwilliams
09-21-2011, 09:55 PM
All you exurban types!

I wish the IKEA was closer. Though the one in College Park isn't so far for me, I guess.

Kell
09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Ha! Well, I'd rather be in DC, but my husband disagrees. Though, I'd probably never drive again if I did, because I can't wrap my brain around traffic signals being stuck to the sidewalks. And, really, I'd be fine with that. I'm definitely more of an urban type.

Mum
09-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I wonder if we should start a group for HSers in the DC Metro area. I come across cool stuff to do with the kid a lot and have shared a couple of things on the MD SHS Group board but you crazy VA and DC folk probably aren't a part of it. ;)

Mum
09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
We did it twice and it was really good. I just wish they would change the program offerings because otherwise, I guess I'd considering redoing City by Design next year as it will have been two years since the kids did it. But there's no other classes they could even do for another year on top of that. Oh well. I'm also just bummed that the NBM is charging admission now.

Yeah, that's extra tough for the youngest HSers. We did City by Design last year and are doing the Monuments this time. Next year he'll be old enough to do the Green one... but if you do the first couple of programs in K or 1st grade you are kind of SoL for a couple of years, unless you want to repeat the same ones.

Kell, you have my sympathy. My mom will keep the toddler for me on field trip days but I would NEVER be able to take multiple little ones there, even if they are kind of cute, clinging to legs...

clancariens
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I just looked through the link and it looks very cool. I think we will talk to the kids and see what they are interested in and go too!

farrarwilliams
09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
While it's not homeschool specific, the local what to do resource I like the most is Kid Friendly DC (http://kidfriendlydc.com/) - it's a blog - you can get it on FB (well, you used to be able to, stupid FB overhaul making it impossible to find things...), in your email or your blog reader, of course. The mom who does it posts a nice roundup every weekend of what's going on all over the region.

Mum
09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
While it's not homeschool specific, the local what to do resource I like the most is Kid Friendly DC (http://kidfriendlydc.com/) - it's a blog - you can get it on FB (well, you used to be able to, stupid FB overhaul making it impossible to find things...), in your email or your blog reader, of course. The mom who does it posts a nice roundup every weekend of what's going on all over the region.

Thanks for the link!