PDA

View Full Version : Reading and my younger son.

ercswf
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
My younger son is 6 (will be 7 in November so I'll just call him 7 ). When I pulled him out of school at the end of PreK just after they did an IEP evaluation ( I'll spare you the full details of that but will say because it is has something to do with this.) they told my husband and I that it would be a few years before they could get him to read even simple stuff. And not to expect him to be reading decently till he was around 8. Well, Last year we got him reading for the most part. But we keep running into the same problem. He seems to have a bit of trouble with weird things.

1. If the font of the text is different then the font I taught him on he has trouble recognizing the letters or numbers. My idea to fix this is to make him a font book where I just spend some time typing up the alphabet and numbers book where each page is basically just the letters and numbers on a page for each font. Then we can review and disuse the similarities and differences.

2. He can make weird errors while reading. An example, book, ookb, okbo, koob,bkoo, etc... can all very well be book to him. So words that have the same letters as other words but in different orders are a constant problem. So far I have been making him start the words over and go carefully from left to right one letter at a time.

3. b,d,p are all about the same to him. (and a few other things similar to that) But I *think* we may have tinkered that out.

Has anybody else run into these road blocks? Like I said for the most part his is reading and getting better but we still need to get past these issues.

Accidental Homeschooler
09-03-2011, 12:22 PM
We have similar issues with my just turned six year old as your points 2 and 3. I have found that having my daughter say the letters of the word out loud helps. So if she reads book as "ookb" I would say b-o-o-k and have her repeat it. Something about hearing the letters as well as seeing them helps her. As far as the b, d, p I just tell her what it is when we get to one. So if we are reading aloud and we come to a word that starts with d, I just point to it and say "ok, this is a d" and then she sounds the word out.

octobersky69
09-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I am not a professional by any means, but you may want to have him checked for dyslexia, there are many forms and different signs. Check out this site, and read the different signs, www.dys-add.com, Dyslexia can range from mild to severe, its worth looking into.

ercswf
09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
It's on our list or things to have looked into with the boys. Both are having their own issues that we have been uncovering since pulling them that I was assured were just laziness by the teachers.

SilverFirefly
09-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I have absolutely no experience with the problems you are describing, but your son’s difficulty with fonts made me think of an activity I saw on someone’s blog that might be fun and helpful. It is basically a word hunt page. The one I saw was used for sight words so it was a page with the four sight words for the week spaced out on the page (about 20 total words on a page) each in a different font. The child was supposed to use a different color for circling each of the four words. That might be a bit complicated, so you could simplify it a lot by making a version with a bunch of one letter/word you want to work on interspersed among random letters/words (using a variety of fonts) then having your son work on finding only that letter/word on the page. Just a thought…