PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cary NC

pandahoneybee
05-08-2010, 07:48 AM
My name is Michelle and I live in Cary NC, I have two boys Alex -13 and Anthony-8, and of course Shane -36 We are originally from MO but have lived in AZ,FL, OR and IL before moving to NC. This is due to DH job in the video game biz, hoping to stay here but you never know!

I decided to homeschool the boys when we settled here because of the school system moving kids around like chess pieces, and since Alex had been to 3 schools in five years I decided enough was enough. I have been a stay at home mom since Alex was born and before that I had a degree for CAD.

We have family board game night Tues and Family Movie nights on Friday. (hoping to keep them up until the kids move out but with a teenager who knows how long we will be cool enough to hang out with. We just got the Dr Suess trivia game and Blokus (puzzle blocking game) so we are having fun with those. Movies- we watch anything and i mean anything but Scary movies (Alex doesn't like them).

Having fun homeschooling, and love this site;)

Snoopy
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome Michelle! I also have a son named Alex (but he's 16 and not homeschooled) and my husband works for a video game company here in Central Florida. I homeschool our youngest, Noah (8) but our other kids go to p.s. because they and their other parents don't like the idea of homeschooling (we're a blended family).

I used to do Family Game Night with the kids but it's fallen by the wayside (mostly my fault, I don't really like playing games, especially with my boys because they're sore losers!) and I've been thinking about taking it up again but maybe I'll use the Hasbro Family Movie Night videogame as a concession to the fact that they love videogames and always try to get me to play with them... but I can't because most games make me physically sick :(
I'm off to see where Cary is. My in-laws live near Asheville.

Shoe
05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the site Michelle. I've got a 13 year old son (currently homeschooled) and an 11 year old daughter(who will be starting in the fall). Moving around schools is tough, for sure-my kids did that early on, and I only wish that I'd thought of homeschooling back then. It just seemed too overwhelming at the time. My wife was a stay at home mom for several years until she decided to go back to work when both kids entered public school. Now I homeschool during the day, work outside the home in the evenings while she works in the public school system during the day. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

SunshineKris
05-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Michelle! We move a lot too (home is where the Air Force sends us) and are going to start homeschooling over the summer. I too have been mostly a SAHM for the past nearly 10 years (a few contract jobs in GIS) and a full time student (finally have that degree). Like you we thought with moving around so much, with every state having such different standards, homeschooling would be more stable for their education. And as horrible as it sounds, I am getting sick of playing games with the kids. I think it's time for something new. :)

Shoe, I find it funny you've decided to homeschool while your wife works for the schools. Is she a teacher? I have met a number of teachers who send their kids to private schools while they teach in public schools. And the irony is not lost on me that I wish to earn my teaching certification while I question the effectiveness of the public school system.

Wilma
05-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Michelle! I grew up in Raleigh, I moved there when I was 8, graduated from Broughton HS. Cary was a somewhat sleepy suburb when I left the Triangle in 1985 to go Atlanta for college and now it is huge!

This is a great board. Everyone here is so nice and very encouraging. We homeschool our 3 daughters. They have never been to school and seem to enjoy homeschooling. I used to teach in the public schools and that was encouragement enough to homeschool!

Shoe
05-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Shoe, I find it funny you've decided to homeschool while your wife works for the schools. Is she a teacher? I have met a number of teachers who send their kids to private schools while they teach in public schools. And the irony is not lost on me that I wish to earn my teaching certification while I question the effectiveness of the public school system.She's a special education paraprofessional (teacher's aide). I think both of us are happy that we live in a country that has a public education available to all children...and just as happy that we live in a country that allows parents to opt out of it if our children's needs are better met by homeschooling. I think public school works very well for many people, but it's not a one size fits all solution and currently I believe my kids are better served by learning at home.

SunshineKris
05-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Sometimes I need to proofread what I write. I didn't mean to imply public schools are bad or not for anyone. In fact our last public school was great and their K1 teacher was fantastic and our currenttschools are okay. I think it depends on the teacher and the student's personality and whether or not they mesh. Currently public schools don't fit our needs because we want to be able to travel more, plus the teachers this year just didn't work out well for my kids, especially DD. Also, our schools here are just too big and not very welcoming toward the parents. But I think there are more good schools and great teachers than the other way around.

For the record, I have a disease called "Foot in Mouth" and the outbreaks occur without warning. There's no vaccine.

Shoe
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Sometimes I need to proofread what I write. I didn't mean to imply public schools are bad or not for anyone...For the record, I have a disease called "Foot in Mouth" and the outbreaks occur without warning. There's no vaccine.Same goes for me...on re-reading my post, it does sound like I took some kind of offense to your previous post, but that is not the case. Nor did I think you were implying that public schools were bad for everyone. I was writing at around 03:00 after a long day at work, and my words don't come out quite right when I'm tired.

The irony of our homeschooling our kids while my wife works in the schools is not lost on me, and I certainly recognize that there are problems in the public school system-it was definitely not working well for our son despite some very good and dedicated teachers. You're right when you say that there has to be a mesh between the teachers, the student and the "system" in order for public education to work. And while I think a lot of students would be better off educated at home, many parents are unable or unwilling to take on that responsibility, so public education is those students' only option. I just think it's nice that we have the option here-home education, private education or public education. Each option has pros and cons, and different students fit better into different models.

Anyway, no offense taken at all, and my apologies if it sounded like I did. I also don't proofread well (or at all) on internet message boards.

Cheers.

pandahoneybee
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow I am really going to like this site! Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes! You all are most definitely my type of homeschoolers, sounds like we have alot in common already. Hoping that you all had a great Mama's Day!

Shoe~ Happy early Daddy's Day! My DH tried homeschooling my two boys for two days when I had to go back to MO to visit family. He told me that he wanted to go back to his easier JOB! So my hat is off to ya;)

Oh I usually am doing three or fours things at once so I usually proof read after I hit the post button so please forgive me in advance for anything that I might say~ Now back to getting things ready for in the morning.

Can't wait to get to know all of you:o

Topsy
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey, hey, the gang's all here! Big welcome to my friend, Michelle who was gracious enough to believe me when I told her how cool the people who hang out around here are!

Topsy

pandahoneybee
06-03-2010, 09:04 AM
my husband works for a video game company here in Central Florida

Hey which company does he work for? DH worked for EA~Tiburon for almost 2 years, before we moved to OR;)

pandahoneybee
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Michelle! I grew up in Raleigh, I moved there when I was 8, graduated from Broughton HS. Cary was a somewhat sleepy suburb when I left the Triangle in 1985 to go Atlanta for college and now it is huge!

This is a great board. Everyone here is so nice and very encouraging. We homeschool our 3 daughters. They have never been to school and seem to enjoy homeschooling. I used to teach in the public schools and that was encouragement enough to homeschool!

Hey Wilma~
Well its not sleepy anymore! I think that the last population nmbers were @134,000, and we run right into Raleigh now;) My DH job has a Raleigh address but it is about a mile away from our house!

Everyone up here has been great!

firefly
06-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi Michelle, I just realized I never said "hello". I've lived all over as well. SC, FL, TX, MI (where I lost my accent), OK, and now the Triad of NC. I heard that in Cary you have to have "approval" b4 planting shrubs in your front yard ? Is that true? (Sometimes I wish it were true here!) Welcome to the site!

pandahoneybee
06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Michelle, I just realized I never said "hello". I've lived all over as well. SC, FL, TX, MI (where I lost my accent), OK, and now the Triad of NC. I heard that in Cary you have to have "approval" b4 planting shrubs in your front yard ? Is that true? (Sometimes I wish it were true here!) Welcome to the site!
Hello there;)
Yes Cary is pretty bad about needing approval for things before you do it! but shhh I just planted a bunches of plants and bushes in my front yard. Wishing I had known how many rules and regulations that Cary had before we moved into town!

Thanks~

warramra
06-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Hello there;)
Yes Cary is pretty bad about needing approval for things before you do it! but shhh I just planted a bunches of plants and bushes in my front yard. Wishing I had known how many rules and regulations that Cary had before we moved into town!

Thanks~

You think it is bad now...the '90s was the decade of the Crazy Anal-Retentive Yahoos. Since DH is a Raleigh-native and I had lived in Raleigh for several years, we did not even look in Cary for a house. Instead, we ended up in wonderfully relaxed Apex, but close enough to enjoy the benefits of Cary/Raleigh.

I can remember a story from college. I was driving a friend home late at night. She lived with her parents in Cary where they had just moved about one month before. We drove from one side of town to the other trying to find her neighborhood, but she couldn't remember which one it was. All the entrances and houses looked the same. We were not impaired at all. She finally had to call her parents at 11:30 at night from a pay phone to figure out how to get home.

Amy

firefly
06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Warramra, lol, I've heard similar stories! Don't worry Michelle, your housing dollar is well placed in Cary. You may have to resort to gardening at midnight - but your property value will likely always be secure - due in part to those crazy rules...

pandahoneybee
06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
You think it is bad now...the '90s was the decade of the Crazy Anal-Retentive Yahoos. Since DH is a Raleigh-native and I had lived in Raleigh for several years, we did not even look in Cary for a house. Instead, we ended up in wonderfully relaxed Apex, but close enough to enjoy the benefits of Cary/Raleigh.
Amy

Yea we wanted to stay close to DH job, he gets to come home for lunches which the boys love. BUT after going to Apex alot wishing we would have gone out that way;)

pandahoneybee
06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Don't worry Michelle, your housing dollar is well placed in Cary. You may have to resort to gardening at midnight - but your property value will likely always be secure - due in part to those crazy rules...

Let's hope so! but I dont know there are 4 houses in our neighborhood that have been on the market for a year! I do keep my ninja gardening suit ready for when I want to change things up:)