PDA

View Full Version : Feeling wimpy :(

gidamom
08-30-2011, 08:36 AM
So we decided to use Calvert this year..sigh One of the main reasons is that we could get a transcript, which brick and mortar schools would see as a private school transcript. This gives me peace of mind that there is less of a possibility that my ds, who is skipped a year,would have been kept back a year if he decides to go back.

We got dd stuff yesterday,and she was super excited about it. She kept asking if we could start right away! :) I also looked through some of the lessons and liked it so far. I also see that we can supplement as we like, which I like. I think all in all, it will work for us, but I know only time will tell.

BUT, I'm feeling like a wimp...:( The possibility of us choosing our own bits and pieces really appeals to me! Starting new this year was super overwhelming...and we had a hard time making choices! But I feel like I chickened out some?? Or like maybe this isn't the full hs experience???

dbmamaz
08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
It's a great introduction to homeschoolng! Lots of people use boxed curriculum the first year or two, until they decide it's not what they want any more . . . no big deal!

StartingOver
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I used Calvert for the first 2 years that I homeschooled. By the third I was confident to strike out on my own. Many people do the same thing. Just relax, it will all work out.

JinxieFox
08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
A boxed curriculum is a wonderful way to get your feet wet! You could always start planning for next year now, by assembling your own curriculum. You have plenty of time to do it and research the programs that might be of interest. You can also supplement with library resources and more this year! :)

Shoe
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
So we decided to use Calvert this year..sigh One of the main reasons is that we could get a transcript, which brick and mortar schools would see as a private school transcript. This gives me peace of mind that there is less of a possibility that my ds, who is skipped a year,would have been kept back a year if he decides to go back.

We got dd stuff yesterday,and she was super excited about it. She kept asking if we could start right away! :) I also looked through some of the lessons and liked it so far. I also see that we can supplement as we like, which I like. I think all in all, it will work for us, but I know only time will tell.

BUT, I'm feeling like a wimp...:( The possibility of us choosing our own bits and pieces really appeals to me! Starting new this year was super overwhelming...and we had a hard time making choices! But I feel like I chickened out some?? Or like maybe this isn't the full hs experience???

There's no one right or wrong way to homeschool. You have to pick what works for you and your kids. I used a boxed set my first year, though chose not to use their grading service.

Get comfortable with the whole homeschooling thing first, and if you want to change what you are actually using for curriculum/methods, you always have the option to do so at any time.

Amanadoo
08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Think of all the things you can accomplish while those of us who are trying to pull curriculum together with ZERO experience are still hunched over the computer reading reviews 23.5 hours a day. You could build a house! Start a business! Eat doughnuts!

You've definitely got a leg up :)

dragonfly
08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I used Calvert for 10 years, and there are PLENTY of opportunities to supplement and modify the curriculum to meet your needs. I liked that I *could* fall back on following the Lesson Manuals precisely, but I pretty much never did. I added things, rearranged the schedule, skipped over or modified assignments that seemed unnecessary or too frustrating (as long as they weren't needed for ATS, when I used it), etc.

Plus, they have BrainPop and Discovery Education Streaming available to you now (along with some other great online resources), so it's like they WANT you to supplement!

Use it as long as it works for you. If it doesn't, and you can't modify it to make it work, then you might be ready to move on. In the meantime, Calvert can give you great peace of mind, knowing that they do well covering the important academic bases.

Stella M
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
See ? Told you not to worry :)

notebookmom
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Think of all the things you can accomplish while those of us who are trying to pull curriculum together with ZERO experience are still hunched over the computer reading reviews 23.5 hours a day. You could build a house! Start a business! Eat doughnuts!

You've definitely got a leg up :)

:_laugh: I was thinking the same thing.

I'd actually love to use a whole curriculum because it reduces my need to think about it, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for us this year.

Enjoy the freedom that structure is going to provide you!

Batgirl
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Check out the Calvert Yahoo group. Lots of folks use Calvert all the way through and modify or supplement as they see fit. I got a lot less worried over the thought of using it when I read the latest review on it over at homeschoolreviews.com. This lady had been hsing five kids for over ten years and pointed out that she had had to modify every curriculum she had ever used to some extent, and loved the convenience of using it. I like the idea of it simply because I live in a small house, tend to overbuy books and supplies, and over analytical when it comes to figuring out the "perfect" curriculum for my child. Calvert is very easy to use and takes up one box.......sooooooo tempting. And my younger son is enjoying their prek curriculum quite a bit.

gidamom
08-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone...you are definitely making me feel less anxous about this choice :)

And YES Melissa, you did....thanks! :)

Pefa
08-31-2011, 07:13 AM
I've used Calvert too, it's the right choice at the right time. Go for it and have fun.

WindSong
09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't think you should feel wimpy at all. The first year is so difficult as you all are trying to adjust to it all. I wish I had chosen an all-in-one curriculum last year for our first year. Instead, I spent most of my free time researching curricula and planning, planning, planning. My sister-in-law has been using Calvert for the past 2 years and really likes it. She feels her kids are getting a rigorous education that they wouldn't get in ps.

I'm happy for you that you made a decision- I know it was difficult. Now enjoy. :)

Mum
09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Another Calvert User here. We just started our second year with them. I could never get all of that together on my own with a toddler in the house. Kudos to those who can, but I feel no shame in leaning on a group who's been doing it successfully for 100+ years and neither should you. Feel free to message me anytime.

gidamom
09-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Just wanted to let all of you know that I'm feelinf much better about our decision. WE have started and things have gone well for us. I like being organized and not having to worry about whether we're covering everything I'd like. I feel better that this was a good decision this year. If we continue, I'll have time to make a deifferent choice if I still want to later on.

thanks for all your support! :)