PDA

View Full Version : Verbatim or Suggested

lakshmi
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
When writing for your kids, do you write exactly what they say, every single little word like a typst... Oh, I should look for one of those old dictaphone things with the little pedal that stops and starts the tape, where they can talk and i can write, because my kids sort of do this and i have a hard time writing.

Okay? Got it?

Whaddaya do? Exactly or do you say, did he run, and what happened next...etc...

Stella M
08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Sometimes. Ds once dictated a story all abut dogs that kept falling into holes and finding bones and then they fell into another hole and found another bone and so on and so on. I typed about 10 pages of it and he thought it was the most hilarious story ever! So if it's something for pleasure, I'll just type it the way he says it, read it back to him and if he wants me to change it, he'll say.

If it's narrations for school work I do the same but I read back any really bad sentences as we go and ask if he likes the way that sentence sounds. OK, to be honest, even if he says he does, I say I don't and can he fix it up please. He re-narrates it and on we go. I leave out fillers like 'um' as well.

lakshmi
08-29-2011, 11:22 PM
OK, to be honest, even if he says he does, I say I don't and can he fix it up please. He re-narrates it and on we go. I leave out fillers like 'um' as well.

LMAO, thank you. Very funny. Okay, me too.

MarkInMD
08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I think it's a good teaching tool to write down the exact words on our chalkboard so that he can see them (minus ums and uhs, of course), and then we talk about how it might be pared down to something more manageable in the final version.

gidamom
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM
We're new to this, so I haven't had the opportunity to this at home, but in school, I would do as Mark mentioned. I would write down exact words, (except for ummss and uhs:p) and then do the exercise of editing and revising with them.

MrsLOLcat
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Ditto. Except I type it on a Word document because then I don't have to make him stop and lose his train of thought. Besides anything else, my kid would get really upset if I started modifying his work before he had a chance to do it himself.

lakshmi
09-01-2011, 01:26 AM
okay, thanks.

I just went to ebay to look at the cost of the dictaphone machine with the pedal. I was thinking like 15 bucks, and the d**n things are selling for like 150 bucks! who knew? i know i could just tape or digitally record, but I've always been so jealous of the secretaries who had the little pedal. they probably just thought of it as part of their job. But the pedal.... that is what makes it different.

ok. i sort of scribble it out on paper, and every single time. Not just every time, but every single time, I wish i knew shorthand. SEriously I can see why it was so popular, of course that was before the pedal.

It has obviously gotten late because I am now admitting a fascination for archaic office procedures and equipment.

Stella M
09-01-2011, 04:56 AM
It's quicker to type it up :)

This is from when ds was 4. OMG, I felt like I had taken some hallucinatory drug when I was typing this up for him. It went on for pages and pages.

One day it was the Cat’s birthday and he wanted to have a very good birthday, so he decided to typewrite his friend a letter. So he typewrited and typewrited and ttpewrited until he was too tired then he decided to make some toast. So he put the toast in the toaster and he waited a while but it popped up too soon because it got burned so he made another piece of toast. But it popped up when he needed it so he ate it while he was watching his favourite TV show, “The Fixing Dog.” So when he finished watching it he went to the telephone to ring up his friend that was called the fixing dog who came to his house for a cup of tea. Then when he left he practiced his guitar playing. And then when he finished playing his guitar playing, he went to play hopscotch outside but then he was riding on his rocking horse in the lounge room so after he finished rocking he kept playing with his farm animals in his farm house but when he finished playing he went to the candle light and played maypole on it! But when he came out playing with lots of icing on him a jack in the box jumped up and he got really frightened so he went, had a train ride to the super farm and then a cowboy teached him to ride on a horse but then a dragon came in.

This was around 5.

POLICE COMICS!!

HHEEE….(the prisoner’s escaping).
D.D.DERRRR. BRROOOMMM.
REE-OR, REE-OR!!!
RRRRRRRRR….
HUHHUHHUHHUHHUH….

GOTCHA!!!
BRROOOMMM. RRRR!
Click.

THE END.

But now, because this has to go in his portfolio, it's more like this.

Ellen the echidna was going to have her last suckle. After she had it she went out to look for something to eat. She was nearly 8 months old. Ellen found a termite nest and started digging a hole through it so she could get some termites. She made a snorting noise to get the sand from her nostrils and then got some termites.

Ellen didn’t have any teeth so she had to grind the termites. Ellen had a long tongue to go through the holes the termites made and get lots of termites from them. She ate too many termites and felt a bit sleepy so she found a hollow log to sleep in. In the morning she felt hungry for termites and she knew just the place to find them.

I suggested to ds we could lose some of the 'termites' but he was pretty determined to keep them in.

MarkInMD
09-01-2011, 05:19 AM
I love those stories, Melissa. Especially the police one!

Stella M
09-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, it was a challenge turning those sound effects into text!

lakshmi
09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
That is exactly what I thought, wow... she turned the sound effects into text....

Ok, so I suppose I was being a little short with them, I was like, no way in hell am ionna write dat! Long hand. I think that the way to go would be to type as fast as i can... oh hell, I'm going to get a digital recorder.. I'd rather listen to the wacky stories the first time around...lol. Thanks for the examples by the way.