PDA

View Full Version : Burn out

leav97
05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I think I finally understand how people get burnt out. History Odyssey looks to be an fun program but, wow is it a pain to line up the resources. Up until this point all of our programs (HWOT, Math Mammoth and Pathway Reading) have been open the book or just print a chapter at a time.

History Odyssey has been 2 weeks of hunting down the books. Some of which are out of print. I'm preparing the materials for the first 2 lessons. It's print this page, copy these pages, hunt down these books from the library, you might enjoy these web sites, ...

If every program was like this I would go nuts.

LJean
05-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I understand! I wonder if I should have gone with a complete curriculum, all set up and ready to go and only did math differently. ugh!

My problem at this point is more getting it all together before hand, so the year goes smoothly. It will take me some time to plan it all out, but I think things will go ok after that. I don't mind the planning, it's the second guessing and changing of my mind constantly that leads to the stress. (at this point)

hjdong
05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I've learned that over time. Math is the one that I do "differently" as well. Most of the others I prefer open and go, with a willingness to stray. That way, if I have time and energy, I'm open to following rabbit trails. If I'm not, I have something ready for me.

Snoopy
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I use SOTW but I do a lot of preplanning around it. First, I look up most of the additional resources mentioned in the Activity Book on my online library catalog. I also look through my shelves for anything that I might have that will be appropriate for the time period studied that year. I have made an excel spreadsheet with the chapter title, corresponding encyclopedia pages and then I list which additional resources I would like to use. I try to limit myself to 1 book that Noah could read on his own and 1 book we might read together. I pick from those available at my library system. If it's not available but I really want to use it, I will put it down in red with a note on my calendar to request an interlibrary loan about 1 month out. Lastly, I research Brainpop videos or websites that might be interesting to visit or DVDs/Videos either online or from the library because Noah likes watching documentaries at lunchtime. Ok, ok, he likes watching cartoons at lunchtime, I like him to watch documentaries instead :P)

We don't do the SOTW activities though. I do pull the maps to have Noah follow the lesson following on the maps, but he doesn't like the coloring and tracing so I skip that. We did some of the activities at the beginning of the year, but lately none of them have appealed to me so we do other activities that I find on my own online. I love researching stuff and planning! Sometimes I have him do a narration. I have blank narration pages pre-printed ahead of time but from now on he's going to use wide-ruled filler paper sheets.

Every weekend I look at what's coming up in 2 weeks and I order the books and videos from the library. If they're not available, I see what other books suggested are available. Or sometimes I skip them or sometimes I find something else. Either way, having prepared in advance is a huge weight off my shoulders. I prepare for the following year all throughout the current year. I do a little bit at a time. It helps for the times when I AM burn out, because I just open my spreadsheet or my Homeschool Tracker software and everything is laid out for me and I can reschedule it if I want to or skip it or add to it, but the bulk of the work has already been done and I don't have to run around at the last minute trying to round up resources. If I have been lazy and forgotten to order the library resources, at least I have a website or two already bookmarked as well as possibly online videos.

I do the same thing for Science (I use the Lab of Mr. Q).

Melyssa
05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
FWIW, I loved the idea of History Odyssey but we only lasted about two months with it before it became too overwhelming with all our other subjects, which at the time required just as much work. I got too overwhelmed. It's a great program though. I found that Calvert's Child History of the World program was much more concise and easy to use. Extra books on a topic can always be thrown in, or not. We're not major history buffs so it was fine for us to kind of gloss over history, at least in the early to mid elementary levels. I'm more interested in diving deeper into world history towards the highschool level. That's just me though.

dbmamaz
05-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I am scared because I"m hoping to totally wing a history program next year, and have it be the focus for next year. Except I also want to do a full set of MCT with my older son. I think I'll fail .. .we'll see.