PDA

View Full Version : Any other POJs out there? (Parents of Jocks)

Cafdog
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Our family chose homeschooling this year primarily for academic reasons, but we also had a real scheduling issue with DD's athletics. She participates in a rather obscure sport (fencing). We live way, way out in the boonies of Central California, and must drive 75 miles (traffic-filled) each way to her gym, several days a week. Just getting the kid to the fencing club on time is a challenge, and when we tried to couple it with a full day's PS schedule and hours of homework (like last year) - it was a mess!

The weird thing is that my husband and I are both book worms, and the only athletic award I could ever win is an Olympic Gold medal for buttsitting. I never, ever thought I would spend my life driving to, and then spending hours in a stinky gym.

Have any of the rest of you become reluctant jock parents? :confused:

Accidental Homeschooler
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
My dd who is 13 is also doing fencing. She is interested only in saber. She did a couple weeks (eight hours a day) this summer and is now just once a week. If she continues to be interested after this six week session we may see an increase, but at least we only have a ten minute drive to get there. I am NOT a jock at all. Dh is though. His dream is for one of our dds to play in the LPGA and he can caddy. I keep trying to let him down gently on this one, but he is determined to cling to his dream. He has also pushed tennis with no success, instead we have fencing.

dottieanna29
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
My oldest is a 5-6 day a week dancer and has been for almost 14 years now. Way back when she took that little ballet class at the YMCA, I never thought we'd be spending this much time driving back and forth, or this much money. She does go to public school and always has but there have been challenges with it. I'm kind of looking forward to this year when she's finally able to drive herself.

Cafdog
08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Aah.. Y'all feel my pain! :) My daughter studies foil. One year ago, we signed her up for an hour class on Saturdays, after she begged to try fencing for 8 months. We were told that given her age and inexperience, she could expect to be in the beginning class for a couple of years, then the intermediate for a couple of years, and wouldn't have to worry about competitions or too much of a time investment, given the steep learning curve of this sport.

Well, she moved on to private coach time in 3 months, into the intermediate class at six months, and is now moving into the junior elite team. Our little one-hour Saturday class has turned into a way of life! We are very glad she has found something that she is very passionate about, but I didn't think it would take up the entire free time and discretionary income of the entire family. C'est la vie.....

rumbledolly
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Our family chose homeschooling this year primarily for academic reasons, but we also had a real scheduling issue with DD's athletics. She participates in a rather obscure sport (fencing). We live way, way out in the boonies of Central California, and must drive 75 miles (traffic-filled) each way to her gym, several days a week. Just getting the kid to the fencing club on time is a challenge, and when we tried to couple it with a full day's PS schedule and hours of homework (like last year) - it was a mess!

The weird thing is that my husband and I are both book worms, and the only athletic award I could ever win is an Olympic Gold medal for buttsitting. I never, ever thought I would spend my life driving to, and then spending hours in a stinky gym.

This made me LOL. Buttsitting gold medal - see you are a jock!

My DD plays soccer, basketball (not her favorite thing but she willingly goes for exercise), takes golf lessons and riding lessons. My DH has never been a jock. I was but now I'm just her chauffeur. The pay stinks and the hours are long. Thankfully her memere takes her to riding lessons. Golf isn't too bad - it comes with ice cream after until the ice cream stand closes - then it's basketball and they have crappy vending machines!

Oh and now she wants to join a bowling league. I asked her who she thought her parents were. She forgets that this stuff isn't free and we have only 1 steady income!

MrsLOLcat
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I still wouldn't call my son a jock, but he joined the swim team over the summer. He's now in the pool 2.5 hours a week just for structured lessons/team practice, and he'd love to go more. The schedule is killing me, because the team practices end at precisely the same time that DD gets out of school on the opposite side of town, which means I either have to A) yank him out of the water 5-10 minutes early to get her on time or B) pay for aftercare for the 5-10 minutes that she would need to be kept until I can arrive. I haven't even seen the meet schedule yet... thankfully this team isn't horribly intense, but still.

As for my personal jock experience, let me just say this: This one time, at band camp...

hockeymom
08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
DS isn't a jock by any stretch, but he does need quite a bit of intense physical activity; if he doesn't get it regularly it really affects him and his mind goes kind of haywire (more on overdrive than his usual overdrive). He plays hockey (obviously), soccer and takes swimming and would love to play basketball and lacrosse. He also loves to road bike--he's a really decent bike rider and hopes to complete a ride for cancer research this fall.

Thankfully mostly his sports are in different seasons, though sometimes it means putting things like swimming off until the others are finished. There's really only so much we can do, or that we're willing to do. He is quite obsessive so we've learned that balance is the key to family harmony. :)

I was never into sports (I did run track for awhile) and so I don't really get the whole competitive thing, but DH was a lacrosse player so thankfully he knows how to work it. I just go along for the ride and support him where I can.

PetVet
08-30-2011, 10:46 AM

lol - I always say they made a mistake giving me DS, as I'm the least athletic person I can think of! He's an athlete, whereas I was a mathlete :D

Around here it's hockey and horses. Hockey is not so serious, but he is on the ice 4-5 times/week from August - April and there is quite a bit of travel involved during the game season. At least it's relatively close (30-90 mins one way), as we're involved in house league hockey only. Horses - well that's a whole different story! DS keeps a pony at home and practices in our ring 4-5 times/week, has a flat lesson at barn A once weekly (40 mins one way), as well as a jumping lesson at barn B once weekly (70 mins one way), and this goes on almost year round. Add in show season, with shows spread across the province (anywhere from 1 hour - 5+ hours one way) and it's go, go, go!

He also dabbles in downhill skiing, soccer, swimming, baseball and karate. Yeah, no wonder the kid didn't have two seconds to himself when he went to PS...

I will be forever indebted to our family, friends and coaches who help out - I'd never make it on my own!

hockeymom
08-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Um, PetVet? Hockey isn't so serious when it's 4-5x per week and you have to drive up to an hour and a half just to get there? Plus you have to travel just for house league? Yeah, I'd say that's WAY serious! :) You are a true hockey mama if you can keep up with all that! lol

Cafdog
08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
l Hockey is not so serious, but he is on the ice 4-5 times/week from August - April and there is quite a bit of travel involved during the game season. At least it's relatively close (30-90 mins one way), as we're involved in house league hockey only.

I agree with hockeymom - only a Canadian would consider 4-5 days per week of hockey "not serious". Tee, hee, hee... :o

My kid is also much happier, better-behaved, and sleeps better when she's had plenty of physical activity during her day. She had an hour of PE in her PS, but I think that was undermined by the other hours of sitting still in class. I give her plenty of active breaks now that we HS, and it's working well.

PetVet
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I agree with hockeymom - only a Canadian would consider 4-5 days per week of hockey "not serious". Tee, hee, hee... :o

lol - i guess you guys are right, but the 'serious' rep hockey teams have tryouts, are on the ice year round, parents have to sign a 'commitment agreement' (agreeing specific amounts of both time and money), they travel 5+ hours to tournaments, etc.

but that's the "hockey is my religion" type hockey, and you know i'm atheist :p

kewb22
08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be spending 5 days a week at the gym for 2+ hours a day while my kids have swim practice. Nor did I think I would willingly give up my lazy Sundays to spend hours at a swim meet. The good thing is, I have plenty of time to read so I can earn that buttsitting gold medal that was mentioned earlier.

DragonFaerie
08-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm right there with ya'll. DD is a competitive gymnast. She trains five days a week (two of those days have TWO practices each!) for a total of 24 hours of practice. I used to have to drive 45 minutes each way for gym. Luckily, since we've moved my drive is now just 7 minutes. 3.5 miles! Yeah, baby!!! :-D And, shhhhhh..... don't tell the other gym moms but we started homeschooling largely because of gymnastics and the long drive. I had already been looking into homeschooling for quite some time but I didn't take the plunge until DD started competing when she was 6 and in 1st grade.

BTW, she DOES NOT getting her skills from me. I can barely WALK four feet without tripping over something! LOL

hockeymom
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
lol - i guess you guys are right, but the 'serious' rep hockey teams have tryouts, are on the ice year round, parents have to sign a 'commitment agreement' (agreeing specific amounts of both time and money), they travel 5+ hours to tournaments, etc.

but that's the "hockey is my religion" type hockey, and you know i'm atheist :p

LOL. I spent 3 years in Canada so yeah, I know all about the "hockey is religion" folks. Thankfully we got out before DS started with tryouts; I'm hoping it will be less brutal here. He has a good friend who comes from a long line of professional hockey players and they've already had to travel 7+ hours for tournaments (by age 7!). House league is the way to go, unless you have unlimited time and funds (and energy, and care about the sport that much). It gets expensive fast.

Pefa
08-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I am so opposed to organized sports that my kids would have to beg really hard to be on a team. But, there are the disorganized sports - mostly water, in liquid and solid, form - skiing, canoeing that require gear and transportation. BOO does gymnastics, although, fortunately, he doesn't want to be on the team.

I'm in awe of those of you doing all that chauffeuring.

speech mom
08-30-2011, 11:19 PM
My kids Dance. And then they dance some more. with a side of dance. I LOVE that they are now old enough that I can drop them off at the studio and come back later to pick them up. Last season, I pointed out that dance conflicts with soccer and everyone was OK with dropping soccer. I hated to see them drop something, but was sooo happy at not having to be in 3 places at the same time. and I was thrilled at not having to sit out in the cold and rain watching soccer anymore.
We are at the dance studio 5 days a week.

rumbledolly
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
LOL. I spent 3 years in Canada so yeah, I know all about the "hockey is religion" folks. Thankfully we got out before DS started with tryouts; I'm hoping it will be less brutal here. He has a good friend who comes from a long line of professional hockey players and they've already had to travel 7+ hours for tournaments (by age 7!). House league is the way to go, unless you have unlimited time and funds (and energy, and care about the sport that much). It gets expensive fast.

Oh dear how do I break it to you............we might not be quite as bad as Canada but hockey is a way of life here. Basketball and Football are not far behind. Every town is known for something different. It's the only way we'd get off the sofa in the winter! Oh and skiing - though a lot of us can ski - is for the tourist. That is our number 1 industry - catering to the likes of others!

lakshmi
09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
wow... hockey is such a foreign sport to me.. no pun intended... But this summer when step son was visiting, I had a lot of practice sitting in a lawn chair watching baseball for 13-15 yo group. Some of the parents were so ugly shouting at the players. Hate sports, but here I am in my birkenstocks among a sea of khaki shorts and running shoes (or flip flops) learning about base hits and lead offs... ...

hockeymom
09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Oh dear how do I break it to you............we might not be quite as bad as Canada but hockey is a way of life here. Basketball and Football are not far behind. Every town is known for something different. It's the only way we'd get off the sofa in the winter! Oh and skiing - though a lot of us can ski - is for the tourist. That is our number 1 industry - catering to the likes of others!

Well hopefully the parents don't yell at their kids as much here during hockey practice. It's such a relaxed community, but I know sometimes sports can show the ugly side. :(

LOL about the skiing. I think most of NB empties out at winter break just to meet up again at Sunday River. :)