PDA

View Full Version : I think it finally clicked!

Joshin
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
We pulled back last year on teaching my youngest to read. He was getting frustrated that he could blend the letter sounds together. I don't think he was ready for that cognitive leap.

Today I decided to try reintroducing him to blending the letter sounds together to make words. We've been working with some Montessori pink level reading materials that a friend who is an M-guide lent us. I think he has it! He flew through the 12 words I laid out today with only minor prompting on a couple letters to remember their sounds.

Now I know where he is at. He has figured out how to blend the sounds of the letters together to make words, but there are a few letter sounds he regularly forgets. He does well with memory aids, such as turning letters into pictures that resemble the letter sound (making an 'M' look like a mouse, or an 'H' look like a house, for example. Or, the reason he'll never forget 'B'--he insists it looks like a sideways buh-buh-butt!), so we'll make some memory aids for the letters he's having problems with.

This is actually a huge relief to me. I could tell that the leap to blending the sounds wasn't one that would be easy, or even possible, to teach. My eldest son just knew how to do it intuitively but for my other boy I couldn't figure out how to enable him to grasp the concept. So glad it finally clicked for him!

We spent the rest of the afternoon celebrating and praising the little guy's accomplishment. :)

Eileen
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Congrats! I love teaching kids to read. It's so satisfying to them and such an amazing thing to witness. I loved it almost as much as witnessing my kids learning to speak.

JinxieFox
08-25-2011, 07:34 PM
That's wonderful! Sometimes, it just takes a little time. But once they 'get it', they really seem to get it and move forward from there!

StartingOver
08-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Congrats !!!! I love when they start to get it !

pnctink
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Hooray! Congrats to you and your son!!

gidamom
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Yaayyy!! Congrats to you and your son! I love seeing their faces when they "get it"!

PBB
08-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Congratulations! My son is "getting" it more each day and it is great. It is hard for me not to compare him to his sister who is less than 2 years older and is years above her grade level in reading. I have read several places in the last few months that kids who read later are not at a disadvantage later on (for example, if a kid learns at 5 and another kid at 8, by the time they are 13 you cannot tell the difference).

Marmalade
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Hooray!

That is such a great feeling!

Joshin
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks everyone :)

I knew he would learn to read eventually, but I was a little paranoid he may have a mild learning disability and I wouldn't catch it. (Neither DH or I have a reading disability, but both of us have dyslexic siblings and parents).

Plus, my mom has been giving me grief, even after I pointed out that I didn't read until second grade and now I write professionally. Heck, she was a late reader, too! i shouldn't let it get to me, but it does.

One of our roadblocks was a simple misunderstanding. Even after DS sat down and read through one of the BOB books on his own, without my help sounding stuff out, he insisted he didn't read, he only "guessed", so he could never learn how. After talking it out, I realized he thought that sounding out the words was guessing and cheating, not really reading, since when DH, his brother or I read to him he doesn't hear us sound out words. Once we cleared up that sounding out isn't cheating, and is actually reading, he understood and much of his frustration disappeared. I explained that eventually the sounding out becomes second nature, so he'll do it in his head without even realizing it.

Stella M
08-26-2011, 04:42 PM
That's kind of sweet, the not wanting to cheat bit :) Isn't it just the best feeling when you see them start to get it ? One of the best parts of homeschooling! Well done for backing off and trying again later.

coloradoalice
08-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Yay! Watching them figure out reading is just so awesome. I can't wait to cross that bridge with my son, he's starting the path and it's so cool to see it coming!

PetVet
08-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Congratulations to you both! :)

One of the few things I am going to miss about PS will be my volunteer duties helping with grade one language arts. I went in weekly and read to (beginning of the year), then read with (mid year), and finally listened to reading by (end of year) the students in my son's class.

At the end of the year I was so proud of them all for the hard work and effort they had put into progressing with their reading! I brought in a little gift for each student and when I was giving them out I started to cry... Embarassed myself, but thankfully grade one students are very kind :heart:

Pefa
08-27-2011, 04:41 PM
that's fabulous.