PDA

View Full Version : Little Apple (users)

lakshmi
08-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Today, my children entered the digital age.

They got a computer. WOOT WOOT. They have sort of used mine so they are familiar with it. BUT, we just got (un-pinched) internet so they have NOT had unlimited access etc or sharing issues.

So off we go into the world of "she had it more time than me."

Any suggestions for cool stuff, ways to manage fighting, etc.. anything at this point would be good.

:^o):

Stella M
08-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Timers. Negotiate with them how long before swap time ( 20 min good for eye health ), set the timer, when it buzzes, it's time to change over. Then they're not arguing with each other, or you, they can only get cranky at the stupid timer.

My kids are into Horrible Histories songs on YouTube.

PBB
08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
A timer is essential! I give my kids 15 - 30 minute "turns". We also have lots of security so the can only see what we want them to see.

DragonFaerie
08-25-2011, 07:28 AM
I third the timer suggestions. We did 20 minute "turns," too.

Also, the computer is in the living room where anybody can see what they're doing at any time. No privacy in this house! LOL They're not allowed on any website not approved by me, either. I used to bookmark certain sites and those were the only ones they could visit. I've gotten more lenient with this as they've gotten older but I still have parental controls set (Live Family Safety- lets you set ratings like on movies and disallow content above a certain rating; also lets you set time limits; my kids' computers don't work past bedtime or too early in the morning). They also know rules like not clicking on ads and never, ever giving out any personal information.

PetVet
08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Also, any suggestions re: a tough laptop computer? It doesn't have to be fancy, but I do want a full size keyboard and it has to be able to withstand a boisterous 65lb seven year old.

TIA :)

Stella M
08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Ours is in the lounge room too. Which is a pain because the kids are always reading over my shoulder, but the pay off is that they know I can just as easily read over theirs.

Ds used to love Moshi Monsters also. Your girls are probably the right age for it. Oh, and dd13 used to love the American Girl website, it has some cool historical games.

CathleenB
08-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I agree with everyone else. Time them, teach internet safety (no sharing names or locations, etc) and make sure you rotate who goes first. I have three and they are FOREVER arguing about who went first yesterday and whose turn it is tomorrow, etc. I wrote it all on a calendar like a schedule. I explained to them if we miss a time slot because of a function then it was TOO BAD and don't complain! (I'm such a meanie!)

lakshmi
08-25-2011, 11:13 PM
uh, oh... i didn't start with a timer, I was going for the unlimited use theory. So far so good. One kid didn't get to have as long as a turn but the turnovers went sort of smoothly.

We ended up with a used macbook. my girls aren't that boisterous though. okay, horrible histories and moshi monsters!! I will skip american girl though.. unless they can play it without knowing that it has a doll that you can **$$$BUY$$** I've already spent too much time with the big heads today!

DragonFaerie
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
uh, oh... i didn't start with a timer, I was going for the unlimited use theory. So far so good. One kid didn't get to have as long as a turn but the turnovers went sort of smoothly.

We ended up with a used macbook. my girls aren't that boisterous though. okay, horrible histories and moshi monsters!! I will skip american girl though.. unless they can play it without knowing that it has a doll that you can **$$$BUY$$** I've already spent too much time with the big heads today!

We got to where we didn't require the timer, if no one else was waiting for a turn. As soon as someone else wanted a turn, the kid on the computer set the timer for 20 minutes and then get off. We also didn't keep track of who got on first. We are a 'first come, first served' household. LOL

camaro
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Regarding "tough" laptops, my best advice for a computer for children isn't a laptop at all. My three boys have a Mac Mini to use. If portability isn't a requirement I figure a desktop machine isn't as likely to come cartwheeling down the stairs. Another benefit of course is that desktop computers have full-size keyboards.

PetVet
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Regarding "tough" laptops, my best advice for a computer for children isn't a laptop at all. My three boys have a Mac Mini to use. If portability isn't a requirement I figure a desktop machine isn't as likely to come cartwheeling down the stairs. Another benefit of course is that desktop computers have full-size keyboards.

lol - sounds like my house!

thanks david, but i would like a laptop for DS. i have some health issues that make it very likely that he will be HSing with other people in other places on a regular basis and i would like him to be able to travel around with his own laptop that has everything set up and ready to go.

hreneeh
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
We locked down our son's computer pretty hard. The computer has a white list (meaning a list of websites it can access) rather than a black list (a list he can't). He can come to us at any time and ask to have something added but that way we can keep a very good watch on what is being accessed.

lakshmi
08-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Good ideas all! Thanks.