PDA

View Full Version : The inclusion of homeschoolers in extracurricular activities @ public schools

MamaMia
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I know there was a thread/poll about the idea of doing something like this but I couldn't find it. When I saw this article I was surprised and wondered what you would all think of it. Maryland to include Homeschoolers in Extracurricular Activities (http://www.examiner.com/homeschooling-in-washington-dc/maryland-homeschoolers-and-extracurricular-activities)

Batgirl
08-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, it's about time! I thought hsers in all fifty states had access to extracurricular activities. As long as we are supporting the schools with our tax money we deserve to be able to participate in whatever we want at public school, imo.

farrarwilliams
08-19-2011, 05:13 PM
There's no way that bill will pass. My understanding is that it's currently dead anyway - there was a short discussion about it on one of the local lists I'm on. I'm a bit confused why the Examiner wrote a serious article about it anyway.

dbmamaz
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
"Would local school boards demand test scores for homeschoolers who want to participate in a play, since grades are often used to prove eligibility for extracurricular programs? The tremendous advangates to homeschoolers seem fairly obvious, but it is hard to envision the state allowing such a big change without wanting something in return."

Yeah, exactly that. In virginia, a bill is always introduced and refused. The biggest issue is that school kids arent allowed to participate in team sports unless they get a certain grade average. Home school kids have no easy way to meet that criteria.