PDA

View Full Version : Fun activities??

gidamom
08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Ok, so maybe boredom is getting the better of me?!?! I can't take one more day of us staying at home doing nothing but computer or tv. I may go cuckoo...We still don't have books or curriculum, so what kinds of things can I do to fill our days and get the kids excited and having fun???

Maybe I am so overwhelmed and frustrated that my neurons have been fried...but I just can not think of fun things to do!!!:(

Can you please help me with ideas or suggestions ...or telling me about the kinds of things YOU have done?? Maybe if our days are busier and more fun things may start looking up..or at least not hopeless as they do know?? Today I seriously thought about calling the school....HELP!:confused:

dbmamaz
08-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, go to museums, visit nearby parks, watch documentaries from library or on Netflix, get some books out of the library to read aloud, find local hmeschoolers and see if they are organizing a not-back-to-school event, do some cooking together, play some board games, do some simple math games like rollng dice and adding the numbers to see who wins.

farrarwilliams
08-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Museums? Science center? Children's museums? Local weird history museum? Art museum? Get a membership!

Zoo? Aquarium?

Farms?

Playgrounds?

Nature walks?

Children's theater? Local storytellers? Children's music performances?

Library? Library programming?

Just a coffeehouse trip in the mornings? Some people love to do school at Starbucks.

It depends, I guess, on where you live. We're lucky to live in a very busy place - there's literally always something going on here. But surely there's something to do or somewhere to go. Look at local tourist guides for ideas too.

Marmalade
08-19-2011, 10:30 AM
How about some at-home science?
http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/index.php

pepperhop
08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
DD has always liked making little books. We would go out for a walk around town, or our neighborhood, or a nature area, and she would either take a bunch of digital pictures of the things that interested her, or draw pictures. Then when we got home I'd print out the pics if they were digital, and she would write a story or captions for the pictures. That added something interesting to our ordinary walks.
She also used to write little poem books, illustrated with pictures about the poems. Usually there was a theme, like animals or nature or even chores or household items.

She still keeps a nature study notebook, so when we go somewhere outside (or even when she is just bored at home), she draws an animal or plant and looks it up so she can write about its characteristics.

Getting outside anywhere has always been the most fun for my kids. They really love it when we pack a picnic lunch.

farrarwilliams
08-21-2011, 03:41 PM
We've done it a couple of times. I always wish the SAAM/NPG opened in the mornings, because I dream of sitting in the enclosed courtyard (http://www.npg.si.edu/inform/courtyard.html) in the cold winter doing school. There are tables and it's beyond empty on weekday mornings. But they don't open until 11:30. Boo.

cfmama
08-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm totally doing school at a coffee shop!! Why not?!

Just pissed I have to drive 20 minutes to get to one!

Brittaya
08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
When we're bored and stuck inside we do crafts. The other day we made sock puppets and then spent the next hour or so chasing each other through the house with the puppets and tickling each other. Of course my guy is just a preschooler so he's easily amused. If you can get outdoors why not go for a hike or go bike riding or see if you can find a farmer's market. You could buy some fresh food and talk about how food is grown and then you could give the kids a cooking lesson and make something healthy together for dinner.

WindSong
08-21-2011, 08:33 PM
We have always enjoyed going on nature hikes. Last fall we went mountain climbing and the kids had a ball. We packed a picnic lunch along with our nature journals, cameras and some field guides. We made frequent stops to observe interesting finds and they wrote and sketched in their journals. We also made a nature scrapbook with all our photos. We used our field guides to identify and label the pictures. It is one of our favorite memories of our first year hs'ing.

CathleenB
08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
GEOCACHING! geocaching is so much fun, and its free, minus the gas it takes if you drive to find them. Check out geocaching.com and see if there are any near you. I have a log book and I take pics of the kids finding a cache. The very first one we found was so cool. It was an ammo box hidden under a fallen tree. It was so exciting to actually find. Usually there are little containers with some kind of small goody inside and you take something and leave something in its place. Very fun.

LovingMyChildren
08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I love all the ideas already given - but hsing at Starbucks means eating more pounds of their cinnamon swirl cake!
Yoga at home? Make up a play and act it out? Listen to music and then have everyone make up their own song in the same genre? Make up a story where each person gets the same starting line and see how the stories end up - or verbally go round robin and let each person add a line to the story?

gidamom
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you all for all of these great suggestions! I will definitely be looking at how we can implement them where we live. I really really hope we can actually get off to a good start and enjoy this year!