PDA

View Full Version : I did it. And Thank You.

CarrieP
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I submitted the form to the state announcing that we are homeschooling. I haven't sent an email to her school yet, which I will do this morning, since registration is today (we start in September here).

I feel sick. I know it's silly, and rationally I know that even if it doesn't work out I won't wreck her, but it's such a big decision. My mom's a retired teacher, and so is my MIL, FIL, and step-MIL. My MIL thinks I can't do it and she'll end up doing all the work (she and my mom alternate taking care of the girls while I work part-time). My mom and other in-laws are supportive, but concerned. My husband, bless him, told his mother that it wasn't her decision and if she couldn't support us he didn't want to hear anything at all. This is HUGE, because he is just not someone who stands up for himself. But even he, to me, says nothing more than, "If this is what you think is best..."

So maybe it's the stress of the judgement on us, the perceived reactions of the people at her school who have worked long and hard to make school a good place for her (her situation was not a bad one or it would be easier, I think), or my own issues, but I'm terrified. I really, really cannot tell you how helpful it is to read all the other posts with the same fears and concerns and family reactions. And the same for all of the supportive and reassuring posts - they have really meant a lot.

Thank you all for taking the time to share. I am doing what I think is best for my kid, and I just have to remember that, even when everyone else is doubting me.

HWALTERS
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
You'll do great!

Laina
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I sent my letter in last week. I had it out on our mailbox for the mail carrier to take, and all day I considered snatching it back and forgetting the whole hs thing! I really understand mixed feelings, and that it is even harder when ps isn't so bad. (FWIW, I had the same feeling when I quit my job that "wasn't that bad" to stay home and launch a freelance career. I went back and forth forever. Now I am very glad I didn't stick with a "not that bad" situation!) Allso, in our town, they just built a brand new school and there is a ribbon-cutting ceremony this weekend. DD would be going there for first grade. I do kind of want to go to the ceremony and tour the school, and so does she, but I'm afraid it will make us both more anxious about not going there.

We are all going to be fine :) Good luck. What is your first day? Ours is after Labor Day.

Stella M
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Yep, shut out the other voices - all the doubters - and just concentrate on your dd. All that matters is that you, dh and dd are happy with how things go. Great decision and good luck!

coloradoalice
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Congratulations! Just take it one day at a time, breathe, and enjoy it!

jessica14
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
As someone else who is just starting out (on Monday!), I also share your feelings of illness! I saw a bunch of kids last night at a library concert that were either school friends or kids whose classes I had subbed in over the years and I felt sad not to be in their lives anymore. Some kids we will see of course, but it again gave me pangs of uneasiness when we had two of DD best friends over. She won't see them everyday and that made me feel bad. But DD said she wanted to try this for the school year. I have had a lot of support. DD friend's Mom said, "It's a beautiful thing." I'm holding on to that!

ksb427
08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I had similar feelings when I submitted our paperwork to the schools. We're in week 2 of our homeschooling adventure and so far, so good. Of course, I have to give myself a little pep talk each morning before we begin. :)

Marmalade
08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I remember that feeling-but it definitely does go away!

You are going to do great!!!

MarkInMD
08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
That's a natural feeling. Once you see the good outweighing the bad, you'll realize it couldn't be any other way. As for your MIL, don't let her bully you. I know some teachers or former teachers who get defensive, but they need to realize that your decision isn't a reflection on them specifically. It's a response to your own unique situations. I find that if I say things like, "We know that teachers do great work, but for us, this decision is best," that at least keeps them quiet. Hopefully she'll come around. Good luck to all the newbies! :)