PDA

View Full Version : UGH...is this a mistake?!?

gidamom
08-17-2011, 10:26 PM
We haven't oficially started yet, but school started here last week, so "summer" is over here..SIGH As of now, I feel lonely and a little frustrated. I also feel that the kids are a little lonely...Is this all in my head? I am so scared that we've made a mistake!:confused:
I hope things pick up SOON!!!:confused: :(

MarkInMD
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Newbie jitters. Settle. Breathe in. Breathe out. Aaaaaaaaah.

Yes, it will get better. It's the old "buyer's remorse" thing. Everything will be fine. Give it time. Good luck!

Alaskamom
08-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Been there...you'll do fine, forget feeling like you have to stay on target or a plan, have FUN! The first week, let them pick and choose what subject they'd like to focus on. Take more breaks and "work" your way into the school year. When the kids see how quick the "school day" goes if they just "do" the work it will make the days go smoother. Also look for outlets. I have my kids signed up for P.E. at a sports complex, it's an hour long class two times a week. It really helps to break up the day. I have my oldest in an art class and am in the process of finding a dance class for my daughter. I think if they have options, outlets and down time "school" will be no big deal.

itsafoot
08-18-2011, 12:41 AM
You just have to take the first step... you can do this! I think it would be abnormal for us parents who are such strong advocates for our children and their education to not second guess our decision to homeschool. Though just as new at this as you are and so very far from knowing what the right answer is, my suggestion would be to let them plan their first several days or at least an activity. I know that may seem scary to not have control over what they are learning, but I promise you, if it is something that interests them... they will be learning.

5amigos
08-18-2011, 02:25 AM
i know how you feel. this is our first year hs-ing and the first week I was flooded with conflicting emotions. on one hand i was so thrilled to finally be doing what i thought was right for my two boys but at the same time i felt total self doubt and thought for sure i was going to fail miserably at this. now at week three...things are going great and my boys are happy and i can see a change in them and their learning already. its so awesome. ...now if i can figure out what to do with the toddler....she's the one driving me crazy! good luck!

Stella M
08-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Gidamom, what do you and the kids hope to get out of the year ? Are there specific areas of interest or projects they'd really like to have time for ? Do they have any extra curriculars where they meet up with friends ( or other people at least! ) Do you have any h/s groups near you ? Are there any local homeschoolers to invite over or to the park or pool ? Are the kids still in contact with friends from school ? Are there community groups they belong to or would like to belong to ?

It seems from some of your posts - correct me if I'm wrong! - that you are all having a bit of a hard time settling to whatever it is you want to do/achieve ? Maybe if you could plan with them some of these projects and outings and get some sort of new normal going ?

Idk. I'm not going to tell you a fib. Sometimes it's lonely, especially if you don't have good, secular support to draw on. It can take a while to establish a network for yourself and for your kids. Sometimes you have to look outside your local h/s community for that support.

I seem to remember you said that your dd was lonely in school anyway ? Is that right, or have I got you mixed up with someone else ?

WindSong
08-18-2011, 09:36 AM
You can do this, gidamom! I had your same fears last year when we started. We have thoroughly enjoyed hs'ing so far. The only issue for us is meeting other hs'ers in our area. My kids have kept in touch with a few of their ps friends. But they don't see them as often as they used to when they were in ps. They have definitely grown closer together as brother and sister which has been wonderful to see. I am finding that I need to look way beyond our area to find other hs'ers. I'm cautiously optimistic that we can find other hs families. Give it a go- you have nothing to lose! If you don't, you may nave regrets about it later. Just remember that it's not a permanent decision. They can always go back to ps if it doesn't work out. Good luck and we are here for you!

Greenmother
08-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Everyone gets lonely. It takes a while to build your routine up and social connections. Don't be too hard on yourself right now. You are just starting. It's an adjustment.

gidamom
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all your support...I am going to trust your expert opinions and wait for it to get better....These two days I've just felt like crying...PLEASE make it get better!!! I can't wait to see all the postivies of hs that I have been looking forward to!!