PDA

View Full Version : Good to Find This Place!

Cyndi
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
My name is Cyndi and in the fall I will begin homeschooling my 12 year old son. It is my first experience with homeschooling (other than the last semeseter of 5th grade with my daughter who is now 19 years old), so I have a lot of catching up to do!

I found your site when I was googling "secular homeschooling in Grand Junction." I live in Grand Junction, Colorado, where I have never met anyone who homeschools for other than religious and/or political idealogical reasons. But someone here named "Carrie" lives in the area and is a member here, and I was hoping to connect with her. Anyone know her?

My reasons for homeschooling are 1) My son wants it; 2) I'm ready; 3) I want my son to have a broader view of the world as he continues his learning; and 4) he does very well in school, but he has auditory processing disorder, and I'm tired of his teachers wanting to blame him for not understanding what they are saying.

I read through some of the introductions and saw one woman who spoke about her husband who is opposed to homeschooling. I am married to a wonderful man who also has misgivings about homeschooling (the social end of things). However, he has finally decided it might be good - particularly since our son is very involved in BMX bicycle racing and needs more flexibility to travel than public school affords. ( LOL, my husband has almost as much fun as my son does with this whole BMX thing.) Anyway, we are all feeling good about the next school year. I do wish, however, that I could find an inclusive or secular homeschool group or co-op for my son to be part of, because I think cooperative learning is a very good thing - particularly for someone who has the sort of challenge my son has with not always understanding what others are saying to him. He needs the practice now, so it becomes less troublesome when he goes to college and into adulthood. There are a number of such groups on what is called the "Front Range" of Colorado (east of the Rockies), but absolutely none here on the Western Slope (west of the Rockies) that I am aware of. (The two sides of the State are so different we could be two states!) So, if anyone can provide me with a lead about a more inclusive homeschool group in this area, I would greatly appreciate it!

Well, I've written a book. Sorry. I'm very glad to have found this site, and look forward to learning and growing as a homeschool mom.

~Cyndi

Shoe
05-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the site Cyndi. Glad you found us. I'm fairly new to homeschooling myself-I've been homeschooling my son (13) since October and will start with my 11 year old daughter in the fall.

leav97
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome. My oldest is only 5 but there are other members with older children.

LJean
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Hello and welcome Cyndi!
What grade will your son be in in the fall? My daughter will be 12 in September, and we will be homeschooling her for the 6th grade. (she is in public school, 5th grade now).
I hope you are able to find a group in your area.

Cyndi
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
My son will be in 7th grade. Is your daughter excited about being homeschooled for 6th grade? I am surprised by how hard my son is pushing to be homeschooled. He has lots of friends and does well in school. I was worried about some sort of "running away" syndrome, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We both struggle with the homework that comes home after seven hours in school. Neither of us like it. That, I think, is his motivation. How about your daughter? Or any one else's that might be reading this? Why do your children want to be homeschooled?

Snoopy
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Cyndi and welcome. I'm not sure who Carrie is because we've gotten a slew of new members in the past month or so and unless she posts regularly and under her own name, it's hard to remember where someone is from. As a matter of fact, if you could edit your profile and indicate your state abbreviation in the appropriate field, then other CO members would be able to find you easier via the Member Locator function (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/memberlist.php?do=search). Maybe you can use that function too to see if you can find Carrie?

Also, did you check the Secular Homeschool Support Groups by State listing (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State)on the the Resources tab? You might be able to locate a local homeschool support group that way. Good luck to you!

Topsy
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome, Cyndi! Glad you found us! You can find Carri's profile here, (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/395-Carrie) although you won't be able to PM her until you have five messages on the forum first (this is just to prevent spamming member inboxes). You could definitely leave her a visitor message though, and I bet she would get back to you! Congrats on your new homeschooling venture! I'm sure you have probably already done extensive searching for secular homeschool groups in CO, but we have a list (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State) as well, if you want to check it out. Here are some other ideas (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) for finding secular homeschoolers in your area. Best of luck...and until you do locate your "peeps" I hope we will be a good source of support and info!!

Topsy

SunshineKris
05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Cydni, you asked why other kids want to be homeschooled. It was my DS8 who has spent the entire school year wanting to do homeschool. I think at first the size of the school intimidated him. He had spent K and 1st grade in a very small school (about 35 kids in K-8!) and the thought of about half that, or more, in one class was scary. He has about 19 kids in his class. Then as the year went on, he kept asking. I think now it's partly school size, partly the lack of focus on him (he really misses the individual attention and time to go really in-depth) and partly the time spent. My kids leave at 7:25 AM for the bus and don't get home again until 3:30. Then there's homework! My DD9 just hates the system. The "incentives" to keep kids on task and focuses and behaving drives her crazy. She says she misses out on the prizes because one kid at her table just can't keep up. Very frustrating for her.

We do have other reasons. We want to be able to travel on our schedule. We are stationed overseas and the travel opportunities are amazing. But it's a pain to be able to go only during certain times dictated by the school calendar. Now we can go when we want and tailor "field trips" for the kids. It's also especially great for trying to travel back to the States to see family. And then there is the time issue for the kids. Now we can do 4 hours or so a day, stretch the school year ot suit our needs, have the time DS wants to dig deeper into a subject, no homework to drill the concept because classroom time just isn't enough...I could go on for days but I'll stop now!

Shoe
05-07-2010, 09:26 AM
How about your daughter? Or any one else's that might be reading this? Why do your children want to be homeschooled?My son wasn't given a choice this year when we pulled him out of public school-for a variety of reasons, relating to both academic issues and our family situation at the time (illness in our extended family), we made the decision for him. But now that he has been doing it for a year, he wants to continue. I think he likes the flexibility, the later starting time (we usually start about 08:00 am, whereas the public school started at 07:00 am), the more relaxed atmosphere and the fact that he can eat or drink while working if he wants.

My daughter has been given the choice, and has decided she does want to be homeschooled as well. Sadly, her reason is mainly to avoid the bullies who have been plaguing for the past couple of years. The public school pays a lot of lip service to "no tolerance" for bullying, but yet it continues unabated. It's getting a bit tiresome for all of us.

LJean
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Hello Cyndi.

My daughter isn't happy in school. She would be going into the middle school in the fall, and we have been told many times that she wouldn't do well there. She has ADHD and gets picked on daily already. I think she is too scared to go. Her grades aren't where they could be either.

As to your first post, I was one who posted about my husband not wanting us to homeschool. I haven't told him yet. Thought I would wait until summer.

Cyndi
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Okay, I tweaked my profile: put in a picture (which isn't showing yet ?), gave some info, etc. Took a look at the resource guide to homeschool groups, but they are all located on the Front Range. Topsy. I clicked on your "some other ideas" link, but it takes me to a page on the website that says I don't have permission to access. And, to clarify, I found Carrie's post in my googling, and it was clicking on her post that brought me to this wonderful group!

You all are so very helpful. Thank you! And this site is amazing! I joined it on Facebook and am getting all sorts of good info on my wall. I need to take some time to look around in more depth.

Shoe, I think the reasons your son likes to be homeschooled are the very reasons my son is wanting to do it. I keep thinking he's going to change his mind (I just went and asked him, again, before coming back here, and he still is saying, "Absolutely, yes!"), but so far that hasn't happened. He has a friend in the neighborhood who is being homeschooled for Christian-related reasons, and the neighborhood kids are all sort of jealous of his schedule, LOL.
And about the bullying.....yes. A couple of years ago before my son began excelling in BMX, he had some difficult times. A parent's heart breaks in despair as to how to help. Mine certainly did. Once we got him involved in a sport that the others thought was cool (but somewhat "out there"), that all changed. But if it had continued, I think I would have begun homeschooling him this current school year.

LJean, you talked about your daughter's ADHD, and I can completely relate to that. For me, that's my greatest motivation to homeschool my son -- my experience is that kids who have something quirky or different about them just don't excell to their greatest potential within the traditional classroom. Many ADHD kids are brilliant, but teachers (and kids) often can't see around it. My son with his APD amazes me with his very unique brilliance, and I want him to know his true potential, and not the school's opinion of his potential. I have APD too (it gets better as you grow older and learn tricks to adapt), and I can remember thinking I was smart, but the teachers just didn't get it! Turns out I was right, LOL. ;)

Well, thank you everybody who has responded and made me feel so welcome. I am going to "disappear" for a while because of weekend activities. I also want to take some time to look through the site before I jump in asking my numerous questions. I have a feeling I'll probably find many of my questions have already been answered somewhere here. All you moms have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Cyndi
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Ahhhhh......"Avatar" not "Profile Picure".........

LJean
05-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Your picture is up now. :)

Happy Mother's Day to you too! Enjoy your weekend.

BPier12
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Cyndi,

I'm new to this forum as well. We're going to start homeschooling our 12 year old son starting this fall (going into 8th grade). He has been in public and private schools and is currently in a private school. We've decided to homeschool for a whole host of reasons: 1) Private school is really expensive and we can give him an excellent education for a lot less money and not paying tuition gives us the opportunity to use some of that money in more creative ways for his education. 2) He wants to do it. He has been asking us for years to homeschool and now that he is older and willing to take on a fair amount of the responsibility for his schooling, we feel like we are ready to do this. 3) We like the flexibility of not being stuck in the school's schedule and if we homeschool we have many more opportunities to travel and take advantage of experiential learning. 4) The atmosphere at his current school is one of great economic priviledge and it makes our son really uncomfortable. He feels that a lot of the kids who go to the school don't have any appreciation for what they have and it makes him really angry. 5) He is moving into his teens and I look at this time as a wonderful way for us to grow as a family, learn from each other, and strengthen our bonds.

Best of luck to you!