PDA

View Full Version : I am Nervous

itsafoot
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Tomorrow is our first official day of hsing and I am nervous. My dd had a few tears tonight as she was bummed that she was not getting ready for her first day of ps, which starts tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing? Is she going to be miserable? Though she has never been a social being she is now concerned about not having any friends (not that she really had any on ps).

Now when I say tomorrow is our first day, we are actually going on a hike and doing some photography and visiting the library. I know I cannot deschool her for 6 months as she does need some structure and 6 months is A LONG time, but I also want her to enjoy this experience so I want to start slow, but of course, I am questioning my every decision. Let's hope tomorrow goes better than tonight.

Stella M
08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Change is hard, even when it's good change. The day you have planned sounds great :) There is plenty of time to explore making friends. She probably will experience misery sometimes - homeschooling is no magic bullet for life's woes - right now, she is in a good environment with a parent who cares greatly for her and who has some awesome activities planned for her to enjoy and learn from. Sounds like a good decision to me! Hope you have a happy day together tomorrow :)

outskirtsofbs
08-17-2011, 02:32 AM
I agree with Melissa........sounds like a very cool first day of school to me.

Shoe
08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Tomorrow is our first official day of hsing and I am nervous. My dd had a few tears tonight as she was bummed that she was not getting ready for her first day of ps, which starts tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing? Is she going to be miserable? Though she has never been a social being she is now concerned about not having any friends (not that she really had any on ps).

Now when I say tomorrow is our first day, we are actually going on a hike and doing some photography and visiting the library. I know I cannot deschool her for 6 months as she does need some structure and 6 months is A LONG time, but I also want her to enjoy this experience so I want to start slow, but of course, I am questioning my every decision. Let's hope tomorrow goes better than tonight.

Good thoughts heading your way. I'm sure that things will go well, and your plans for the first day sound pretty much perfect to me. I can't think of a better way to start a new way of educating than to go on a hike and enjoy the outdoors. It should set a whole new tone for "school". We're all here for you, but being nervous about a new thing is completely normal-especially when it comes to something as important as our children's education. Good luck, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Accidental Homeschooler
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I hope your day goes well. My older dd has been feeling down in the dumps the past few days as all her ps friends get ready to go back to school, though she still doesn't want to go back herself. I think once we get started with our own hs routines it will be OK.

gidamom
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope your day goes well! It sounds WONDERFUL to me!! I wish I had some wonderful advice for you, but I am actually feeling the SAME exact way...My dd has been down in the dumps a couple of times about not going back to school with her friends...SIGH At those times I feel like a horrible mom and wonder if I'm making the right choice here!!!

We're still not starting, and I am also having a hard time coming up with fun things to do, which doesn't help :( At least you have a plan that sounds super fun, and might just show her the positive aspects of hs.

Please let us know how it goes!

KristinK
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I hope the day goes great, and shows her how much fun HSing is going to be :D

MarkInMD
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree that the routine will help out. It's tough for most kids to go against the grain and not do something they're accustomed to doing with their friends. But it'll pass, I'll bet.

itsafoot
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. Today was perfect. We left the house with the our backpacks, snacks, journal, camera and the dog a little before 9 and we were on the trail soon thereafter. I gave her a quick tutorial on the basic camera settings and let her lead the way. She was so creative on what she picked to photograph! Along the way we had discussions on types of plants/flowers, rock formations, animals and their habitats and had the opportunity to just sit and watch a couple of hummingbirds. Before we turned around, I had her grab out her journal and we did a poetry pause....talked about different types of poetry and she chose to do an ABC type using the word ROCK and then proceeded to sketch a picture. Before we headed down the trail she said, "I love this kind of school" and by the time we made it back to the car she was coming up with names for her school. What a huge relief and an awesome day. We also visited the library where she chose to check out some books on photography. It is silent reading time (so I can get some work done as I do own my own business and work from home). I have one happy kid and I am one relieved momma!

gidamom
08-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Sounds perfect!! :)

Stella M
08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm glad for you!

farrarwilliams
08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
What a great day and lovely little picture! You have to save that moment for yourself and refer to it when you inevitably have a hard day. :)

JEJordan9
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Yay!! That's great!!

Laina
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Awesome! So happy to hear that it went well.

coloradoalice
08-17-2011, 05:38 PM
That sounds like a lovely day!

PetVet
08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
That's great news! I'm so happy for the both of you. :)