PDA

View Full Version : Consumables; Buy all at once or as needed?

give_me_a_latte
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
If you HS more than one child, do you buy consumables all at once? Or do you order what you need for each child, each year? My kids are 2.5 years apart and I'm trying to decide how to manage this. I'm afraid if I wait...then the curriculum/Teacher's Manual may be updated and I'll have to reorder everything. But if I order the second set of consumables, I may change my mind about the curriculum in 2.5 years. What do you do?

Busygoddess
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I buy what I need each year, for several reasons.
1) I can't be sure my son will use the same materials my daughter uses because I choose materials based on interests, strengths, weaknesses, learning styles, ability levels, and learning differences (they both have ADHD & one has bipolar, & their conditions affect their learning in different ways)
2) They are almost 6 years apart in age
3) I spend enough on homeschool materials each year as it is now
4) Since I let them work at their own pace, I have to buy several levels of some things so they have enough work in that subject to last the whole year

Those are my reasons. You'll have to do what's right for you, though. If you are sure both kids will use the same materials, it might not be a bad idea. However, many don't know the learning styles of their kids untill they're a bit older than yours are. So, if you are planning to choose materials based on their learning styles, you might not want to buy for both until you've figured out their learning styles.