PDA

View Full Version : Fall is in the air

octobersky69
08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Yesterday I made a Big Pot of Homemade Vegetable soup, using ingredients, from our garden. Today I plan on making crustless pumpkin pie and banana (bread, cake, or cookies) cannot decide......Autumn is my favorite season and cannot wait for it to get here!!!

Accidental Homeschooler
08-16-2011, 11:09 AM
It has been cool in the morning here. It feels great, the promise of Fall, my favorite season also.

Laina
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Fall is my favorite too! It's been cool here the past few days and I love it! I dread the thought of the September heat wave we often get. I'm particularly excited about this fall because it's our first homeschool year. We will officially start the day after Labor Day.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Yesterday I made a Big Pot of Homemade Vegetable soup, using ingredients, from our garden. Today I plan on making crustless pumpkin pie and banana (bread, cake, or cookies) cannot decide......Autumn is my favorite season and cannot wait for it to get here!!!

Yes! I've been busting out the Crock Pot lately--beef stew, minestrone, roast chicken. It's so nice to bake again, too.

Getting this cool weather in August is a treat--all the fun and no school work looming over us! Only bummer is that we planned a trip to a petting zoo/spray park on Friday and it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate. :(

pnctink
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
We're excited about fall here too. It was actually 68* inside our house this morning, and it hasn't dipped lower than 71 in quite a while! :)

Penguin
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Goodness, I can't imagine being grateful for cooler weather! Fall is in the air here too, I always notice the light changing in about mid-August, and I noticed it last weekend. But we haven't had summer! The PNW has had such a cold year, it's ridiculous. The Seattle area has had something like 350 *minutes* over 80 degrees since June 1, and the island where I live has probably not hit 75 for that long. I want HEAT. And yet, summer is drawing to a close, the light is shifting, the days getting shorter again..... Bah.

LovingMyChildren
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Ah, geographic diversity! We are so different down here (Tampa, FL). It was 87 degrees yesterday, heat index of 102. Today is slightly overcast so it's only 84 with a heat index of 95. I would love some Autumn but we won't see lows in the 70s much less highs in the 70s until October or early November!

hockeymom
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
It's shifted here in Maine as well. Although it's a bit humid and very rainy, we are firmly in late summer. Still surrounded by boxes in my kitchen I'm wondering how I'm going to manage putting anything up this year, but the canning pot is out and at the ready for when I manage to get some time and energy. We've been gorging on fresh veggies from the farmers markets and my son is already clamoring for pumpkin pie.

Watching the wood piles grow in the neighbors' drives and wondering how much we'll go through...

skrink
08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Here in Ohio we've been having days in the 80s, which is still too warm for me! I am so ready for fall - all of my chili and soup recipes are calling to me. I'm also looking forward to apple cake and pumpkin cookies. I do love fall!

inmom
08-16-2011, 06:24 PM
We have the opening day of our local apple orchard on the calendar to go apple picking this fall. Our pumpkins are growing, and we've been canning produce like mad. Yes, it's the end of summer.....

MrsLOLcat
08-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I hate you all. :p It's currently 99 outside with a heat index of 105, and the rest of the week is forecast to be even hotter. I'm starting to wonder if this whole 'season' thing is a myth for my area...

JinxieFox
08-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Our 50-degree nights and 65-75 degree days have been wonderful all summer long! In fact, when my ex-husband brought my son to me in May, I said, "Where's his jacket?" He assumed that because it was hot in Germany, it'd be hot in England. *headshake*

The crockpot is getting its fair share of use here! We enjoyed taco chili out of it today. :)

Laina
08-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Goodness, I can't imagine being grateful for cooler weather! Fall is in the air here too, I always notice the light changing in about mid-August, and I noticed it last weekend. But we haven't had summer! The PNW has had such a cold year, it's ridiculous. The Seattle area has had something like 350 *minutes* over 80 degrees since June 1, and the island where I live has probably not hit 75 for that long. I want HEAT. And yet, summer is drawing to a close, the light is shifting, the days getting shorter again..... Bah.

Note to self: Move to Seattle.

mommykicksbutt
08-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Here in southern Spain it is still summer with lots more to come. Our area is a hot spot of beach vacationers from all over Europe and will be until the middle of September. My hubby's birthday was last week and we needed to get away from the heat (yesterday it was only 97F with 60% humidity) and the beach crowds so we went to London (during the riots) for a couple of days then went on up to Edinburgh for a few more days. (I score plane tickets at 30 bucks each round-trip!) London weather was perfect, just a light windbreaker was all that was needed. Edinburgh was what we really needed, fall weather for sure. We never saw the sun there, it was overcast and/or raining the whole time with temperatures dipping into the 40's in the evening. We LOVED it! It was a wonderfully welcomed cool spell for us to break-up the incessant heat of Andalusia. Plus the Scots are very happy and beautiful people to boot.

JEJordan9
08-17-2011, 08:48 AM
So jealous!! I am tired of the weather here in Florida!

dbmamaz
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
here in VA, the last few days were only in the 80s, but we're back up to 90 today. and my husband wont eat stew . . .

pnctink
08-17-2011, 02:24 PM
and my husband wont eat stew . . .

Neither will mine, so I tend to freeze leftovers.

We're hoping England will have some summer-like weather when we go over at the end of September, but we're still packing warm clothes. :)

coloradoalice
08-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Yesterday evening we got a good hour of rain and when it left the breeze and the dampness definitely felt like fall to me. It was wonderful. I love fall!

mommykicksbutt
08-18-2011, 05:45 AM
All this talk of fall weather and having a little taste of it last week has got me wanting more. Hummm.... hubby has labor day weekend off for a total of 4 days.... I wonder how much Ryan Air plane tickets from Malaga to Dublin round trip would be ....