PDA

View Full Version : Hi from overseas!

SunshineKris
05-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi, I'm Kris and we are stationed in Germany. I found this site last night during a research operation and am so glad I did. My DS has been asking to be homeschooled since moving here and I think we are finally going to do it. I will have 3 kids at home with me, DD9, DS8, and DS4. I have so many questions so you will see my name pop up left and right! Thanks so much for being here! It's not easy finding non-religious based info.

Shoe
05-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Welcome Kris! I've found a lot of information and suggestions here on these boards.

Snoopy
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Kris, welcome to the board. We have a couple of other moms in the military and who are stationed overseas (Italy and Korea come to mind) so check out the Military Homeschoolers group. Which son is the one who wants to be homeschooled? Are you going to homeschool all 3 kids or just the one?

JinxieFox
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Welcome Kris! I'll be seeing you soon. Hard to believe I'll be there in November. I have a 7-year-old son, and look forward to getting to know you.

SunshineKris
05-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Nathalie, it's my DS8 who's been begging. He likes ps in general. It's the structure he loves. But he began K and 1st grade at a small base with mixed grade classrooms. He did k/1 there with the world's most amazing teacher and small class size. His largest class size was 14 kids total but that lasted only 2 weeks before it went back down to 10 kids. His teacher was able to spend the time with each kid, really getting to know them and their quirks, getting in depth when the student wanted, working individually. In most ps's they just don't have the time. His class now is about 9 kids, my daughter is one of 27 in her 3rd grade class. She too is used to a mixed grade class of no more than 13. And DD's school issue is a whole 'nother story! I will be teaching them all at home. I gave my daughter the option and she chose hs. My little guy has never been to a preschool though lately he's been asking to go. I may place him at the Montessori a few half days each week in the fall. Or maybe the regular preschool, just to spend time with kids his age. There are no other 4 or 5 year olds in our village, and my friends either have 2 yo or elementary age kids. Poor little guy! :)

Snoopy
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
It's been hard finding boys Noah's age too and all his friends live an hour away from us so we see them regularly but not everyday. It seems to be a common story among secular homeschoolers, unfortunately. Maybe we should form our own state, lol.

Edited to add: Oops, I guess that since you live overseas, a secular homeschooling state wouldn't help you much. Our own country?

Topsy
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for popping in and sharing a welcome post with us, Kris!! I'm so excited that you found the site...I really do hope it will be a help to you as you head into the adventure of homeschooling. We have lots of long-time AND short-time homeschoolers around these parts, so there is plenty of advice and support to go around. Best of luck with everything!!

Topsy