PDA

View Full Version : OK, This is really superficial but I am asking anyway

Accidental Homeschooler
08-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Has anyone else really gained weight when they started hsing? If so, how did you manage to lose it or were you just stuck with it? Part of it for me is being home more, part of it is having less time for myself, part of it is that I eat when I am anxious and it has been a bad year for that (as much from the worry when they were in ps as the worries of starting hsing). I stay up too late sometimes just to have quiet time to myself and being tired gets me snacking more during the day. Part of it is that dd has been baking, baking and baking and I am weak, weak, and really weak when there are baked goods sitting around. I gained a lot of weight with both my pregnancies (anxiety because I had complications and had had miscarriages...) but I always was able to lose it and keep it off after. This just feels different, out of my control somehow.

Eileen
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I gained 10 pounds when I stopped working last year, just from being around the house and being able to grab junk to eat anytime. Also from boredom. I'm hoping (and this may be unrealistic) that when we start homeschooling in the fall, and my younger dd is at kindergarten, I'll be in a better place. I want to make sure dd is getting enough exercise, and I'm hoping to incorporate a lot of hikes this fall, and walks to the town library (about 2 miles), and running home after we walk little dd to school. Also, my older dd is easier to prepare food for since she likes a good variety of things, so that will help with getting into better food habits. Anyway, I'm basically planning to guilt trip myself into eating better and exercising, since I plan to force my daughter to do the same. Good luck!

Brittaya
08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I haven't gained any weight from homeschooling because we're doing the from birth thing and my kids are still little, but I gained a lot with my pregnancy. Right now I just hop on the exercise bike in my living room once a day or I take the kids outside to play. My son likes me to do everything with him, so climbing up and down the stairs and going on the slide and seesaw and whatever with him a hundred times over kind of helps. I also take the kids on nature walks. Education and exercise right there :) lol. You could try getting a healthy eating cookbook and teaching your kids how to make smart food choices and how to cook at the same time, depending on their age/interest. That way you're eating healthy and they're learning. Just some ideas. Good luck losing those extra pounds!

Riceball_Mommy
08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Recently I've been feeling out of shape. I do weigh more than I'd like to, but I don't think I'm at an alarming weight yet, it's just being out of shape is bugging me. I've tried doing yoga once a day with the wii fit but as the calendar on that thing reminds me I haven't been able to do everyday. I have to say even not doing it everyday I am making progress. I actually touched my toes yesterday. I do want to start running too, with I'll have my daughter do it with me too.
Anyway I agree with what's been said finding an exercise routine that you can get the kids involved in will really help, and also trying to get all of you to eat healthier is really good motivation too. I've been trying to look up healthy recipes that don't take a lot of time and don't make a ton of food, since because of my husband's schedule and the special diet he has himself on, I only end up cooking for my daughter and I.

sallymae
08-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I have always had the battle of the bulge. Sometimes I'm winning some times I'm losing. Currently I am winning. I go the curves a strength training circuit that takes exactly 30 minutes. I still eat what I want only in smaller actual portion sizes and it is working and I don't feel deprived and angry. Oh, no junk candy or chips. I just don't buy them, they are not really good for any one anyway.

MrsLOLcat
08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Ahhhh yeahhhhhhhhh I put on about 15 lbs. when I started HSing about... em... three years ago. I've FINALLY gotten fed up with it and am working to get in shape and lose the weight once and for all. I don't have time to go to the gym, but I have a Wii and both EA Sports Active 1 and 2. I'm doing the 90-day program on 2 right now, on easy, and I'm convinced it's trying to kill me. Once I get done with that, I plan to get a copy of The 30-Day Shred and run through that and then something else. If I get bored, I'll quit, so I'm changing it up regularly. We eat healthfully, but I need to quit buying Terra Chips (bloody addictive, those things are) and I have to watch portion size.

I've done three week of the program and already see calf muscles that I haven't seen ages, and I can feel my thighs firming up, too. It's really exciting. One of these days I'll get back into the Gap-vanity-size 8 pants that have been hanging in my closet for a couple years!

dbmamaz
08-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Hmm, i never thought to blame in on homeschooling lol! i lost a lot of weight when i first went on my allergy diet, but i've gained it all back. doing martail arts at a home school family class with the boys made me gain MORE because i was always starving.

coloradoalice
08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
We do "recess" in the middle of our studies and I kick the kids outside while I ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes or so. It helps all of us to get some exercise and breaks up the day a bit.

CathleenB
08-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Not really. I gained when I started meds for high blood pressure. I've gained ten pounds in the last year from that. I get on the elliptical for a minimum of 30 mins a day and I can't lose a pound. I was already overweight to begin with so this is disappointing. All I can do is my best though!

inmom
08-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I also agree that it's easier to exercise when you have either a spouse or kid to do it with. I walk or run with my dh most days, and afterwards my son and I run at least another mile together (to the local public school, no less, when the kids are coming to school...lol). I was already overweight when we started hsing. However, as my blood pressure crept up, I vowed not to take any meds, so I lost the weight instead--55 pounds. As your kids get older, it gets easier to carve out time to do this, also.

Good luck!

JinxieFox
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I actually lost weight when I started homeschooling; maybe because by the time my son was 4-years-old, he didn't need constant supervision, so I suddenly had at least an hour a day to workout. It all comes down to finding time, and I imagine there are a number of circumstances that make it more difficult for some families than others. For me, maintaining a healthy weight is very easy - I have an 8 1/2-year-old son, and I work out during the time I allow him on the computer. :)

Stella M
08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes :) We all did, in the first 6 months...it's the easy access to food that does it!

ercswf
08-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Since homeschooing...Nope. Since my moving back to IL and being depressed about a lot of things YES. I am an emotional eater who also really likes food in general. Toss in loving to cook and bake and well it's no wonder I have gained 40 yes 40 lbs over the last 3 years. Since starting homeschooling my older son has put back on all the weight he lost while in public school and has been taken off the failure to thrive status by his doctors. So in his case it is very good he gained weight.

Stella M
08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I found I did a lot of eating through boredom when my kids were younger. Now they are older, I get a loss less bored; I can walk when I want to, read, write - all the things it's difficult to do with preschoolers/babies in the house.

CathleenB, I just wanted to say I empathise with you over the meds induced weight gain. The years I was on steroids I gained 8-9 kilos, which is a lot when you started at 50kg. I looked like a dumpling, no matter how much I walked. It's frustrating; I tried to focus on the fact that the exercise was helping my strength and fitness, even if it didn't alter my weight. But yeah, it's tough :(

Accidental Homeschooler
08-13-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?sq=exercise%20and%20weight%20loss&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=2&adxnnlx=1313287942-ZQdsQoMmjTUBhBVMusNKpw

I remembered this article and actually found it. Basically, for women, adding exercise without changing how you eat is useless for weight loss (though good for your health of course). It does however, help keep weight off once you have lost it. So thank you all for making me feel less bad about this (15 pounds for me too MrsLOLcat) and for the advice. I am just going to have to figure out how to quit eating so much.

Edit: OK, so I just read that Iowa Republicans, in their stupid straw poll, picked Michelle Bachman. While I am not a Republican, I am an Iowan and now I just want to go eat some pie. Please remember, when you see her crowing all over the news shows tomorrow, that everyone in Iowa is not and idiot, just the 4000 plus people who voted for her (to be their choice for president????!!!!!!). I think I will have some ice cream on my pie.

Alaskamom
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
My roller coaster with weight gain coincides with my husband's deployments. When he's here I eat well, have time to actually exercise, and drink less wine. LOL When he's not here, I eat crap that I would never buy at the grocery store, find it difficult to find time to work out and well let's face it...I don't care how many calories I ate during the day if I want a glass of wine or two =) at the end of the day dang it I'm gonna have it. So...I'm always a little fatter when my husband is gone. I've got four weeks to get my butt a little thinner before he gets back. Wish me luck. =) I find schooling actually helps me b/c I don't have as much time to snack or "sit" around being lazy. I think that's why I'm so ready to get back into school....just waiting on our curriculum to get here and we will be diving in.

Alaskamom
08-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Accidental Homeschooler,

I've seen this time and time again. With myself mainly. LOL I go run on the treadmill for 30 minutes and then come in and eat a lunch that doubles what I've just burned so it pretty much cancels out what I just did. And then I get annoyed when I don't see any improvement. It's hard to break those eating habits and when your HUNGRY it's hard to say I'm going to enjoy this Protein Shake and banana when what you really want is a sandwich and chips. And let's face it....homeschooling rarely means your ever at home....at least for us. We have many activities that keep us going, going, going so we eat fast food a lot too. I try to find the healthiest thing on the menu but sometimes even that is just loaded. It's a never ending battle.

Shoe
08-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Has anyone else really gained weight when they started hsing? If so, how did you manage to lose it or were you just stuck with it? Part of it for me is being home more, part of it is having less time for myself, part of it is that I eat when I am anxious and it has been a bad year for that (as much from the worry when they were in ps as the worries of starting hsing). I stay up too late sometimes just to have quiet time to myself and being tired gets me snacking more during the day. Part of it is that dd has been baking, baking and baking and I am weak, weak, and really weak when there are baked goods sitting around. I gained a lot of weight with both my pregnancies (anxiety because I had complications and had had miscarriages...) but I always was able to lose it and keep it off after. This just feels different, out of my control somehow.

I did P90X (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?t=p90x3b1&code=SEMB_GOOGLE_P90X&extcmp=e79dc8a93ec8447a&ef_id=V2pOR04JbmMAAELS:20110814042441:s) with my son as a phys. ed. course. It kept me fit, helped me attain a healthy weight and most importantly set a good example for my son, that I not only said that fitness was important, but demonstrated it too.

Stella M
08-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Accidental Homeschooler, hope the pie and ice cream helps! It was only a straw poll, though, right ?

jessica14
08-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I fear this as well. I am also an emotional eater. I have had a couple of very stressful years and am on some medications that can make me gain a bit of weight. I noticed that the days I was subbing, I would pack a healthy lunch and that was it. Being home, I was bored and feling stressed and depressed about whatever and would eat. I also don't exercise and like to bake. Soooo, I'm hoping that because I am busy with the kids, I'll stop this and I'll get back to better habits.

Oh and Michelle "African-Americans were better off as slaves" Bachman? Save some pie for me! Just saw a slave holdng area under Loretta Lynn's house last night on Ghost Adventures. Pitch blak, chains, overcrowded. Definately preferable to a house or apartment.

Accidental Homeschooler
08-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey Alaskamom, My dh is not in the military but he does travel for business, generally not more that four days at a time, and just that is so hard. So I don't know how you do it. Good luck with the next four weeks and I hope you have a really incredible reunion!

Accidental Homeschooler
08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Accidental Homeschooler, hope the pie and ice cream helps! It was only a straw poll, though, right ?

It did help. I wouldn't have needed it for Ron Paul (though I can't stand him either), Michelle Bachman though is a lunatic. As dh pointed out when I was raving last night, it is more of publicity stunt than a true poll and IA republicans never pick the candidate who is going to get the nomination.

And Jessica, plenty more pie (peach) and my dd made ice cream to go with it! I think I will watch Jon Stewart on Monday, he always makes me feel better and is calorie free!

JinxieFox
08-14-2011, 11:29 AM
LOL - I'm totally with you on the Bachmann thing. Bring on the ice cream and pie!

It's absolutely true that exercise and watching what you eat must be combined to lose weight. When I was actively trying to lose weight, I counted calories. Now I don't because I'm in my healthy range, but I still work out daily. One habit that has definitely stuck with me is not drinking soda of *any* type whatsoever. Other than that, I still eat ice cream everyday. Even when I was counting calories, I made sure that some of those calories were a nice treat!

AlaskaMom, when my husband deploys, I have more time! Heh. Maybe that's because I'm totally alone in the house, if it coincides with my son being with his dad in Germany. Or maybe it's because the husband isn't here to sabotage my weekends. ;)

Eileen
08-14-2011, 11:40 AM
See, I'd rather have soda every day than ice cream every day. But as it is, I don't have either of them, hardly ever. *sigh* And I still need to lose 30 pounds. Blech.

LovingMyChildren
08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh my goodness! Great post [said with a smile and dripping sarcasm]. I'm about to officially start homeschooling next week (only little trial pieces over the past two months) and now I have THIS to worry about as well :_s: Thanks so much (hehe)

Accidental Homeschooler
08-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Best to be prepared and take the appropriate precautions or you too will be shopping for stretchy pants:sad:.

rumbledolly
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I've gained about 10lbs since starting to home school. I had lost about 12 so I'm still on the -2 side...lol. I used to go to the gym at least a few times a week just before I picked my DD up at school and when I was substitute teaching I did a lot of walking, especially up and down the stairs (and it helped that I was the PE teacher quite a bit).

Now since I HS I feel guilty about up and leaving in the middle of the day to go to the gym. I am not an early morning gym person - too many people - I need stress release too not to watch the Fit Franny's Flaunt their tight workout clothing (!) and I'm not an early evening work out person either - again it's way to crowded and waiting for the equipment gets my germphobia zoomed right up. So I do the usual and neglect myself and eat another cupcake!

I am planning to taking a Yoga class this fall. The price is reasonable and it's only twice a week right after dinner time. I love walking and hiking but since I had a back injury and now suffer from chronic muscle spasms I'm a little more cautious about venturing too far just in case one starts - sometimes they last a few minutes, other times they last for two weeks. I have boogie boarded a lot this summer but I think hurling oneself into a wave and slamming back to shore isn't considered exercise but rather at my age, silly, foolish and probably rather entertaining to those sitting on the beach!

I thinking maybe purchasing a stationary bike or something like it for home - even Zumba for Wii - would be a great way to get back into the swing of things. I know I'll never be thin - that train long ago left the station - but I like how I feel when I'm in better shape.

rumbledolly
08-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Best to be prepared and take the appropriate precautions or you too will be shopping for stretchy pants:sad:.

I call them yoga pants and I'm sticking to it!

Accidental Homeschooler
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Now since I HS I feel guilty about up and leaving in the middle of the day to go to the gym. I am not an early morning gym person - too many people - I need stress release too not to watch the Fit Franny's Flaunt their tight workout clothing (!) and I'm not an early evening work out person either - again it's way to crowded and waiting for the equipment gets my germphobia zoomed right up. So I do the usual and neglect myself and eat another cupcake!

I am planning to taking a Yoga class this fall. The price is reasonable and it's only twice a week right after dinner time. I love walking and hiking but since I had a back injury and now suffer from chronic muscle spasms I'm a little more cautious about venturing too far just in case one starts - sometimes they last a few minutes, other times they last for two weeks. I have boogie boarded a lot this summer but I think hurling oneself into a wave and slamming back to shore isn't considered exercise but rather at my age, silly, foolish and probably rather entertaining to those sitting on the beach!

I thinking maybe purchasing a stationary bike or something like it for home - even Zumba for Wii - would be a great way to get back into the swing of things. I know I'll never be thin - that train long ago left the station - but I like how I feel when I'm in better shape.

I have been walking for 30 minutes a day. I don't think it is going to get rid of the weight (I need to "diet" for that), but it does improve my mood and energy level and will hopefully become a habit. I have been trying to do it in the morning (a major challenge for me, I am not a morning person either) but between the end of dinner and bedtime also works. I have found that exercise classes here are either early in the morning or in the evening, neither of which is going to work for me and by the time I drive there and workout and come home, it just takes too much time. I hate to try to leave during the day also as it means having my older dd babysit and I feel like I am taking advantage of her. I would rather save doing that for doctor appointments or grocery shopping anyway. We have a trip coming up (the beach of all places and I did have to buy a new swimsuit). When we get back I am going to pull out my old weight watcher stuff. I used it to lose weight from my 2nd pregnancy and it worked then. And I think I will call my new pants "yoga" pants. It does sound a lot better:).

mommykicksbutt
08-17-2011, 06:23 AM
I didn't gain any when I started HS my daughter years ago (I think I actually lost weight then). But when I started HSing my son I packed on the pounds for sure. Now that he can do so much more on his own (he's high maintenance) we bought an exercise bike and I park my butt on it every morning 5 days a week. But with my family history, the older the women get the broader their beams seem to be, so I'm fighting genetics and mother nature.

Staysee34
08-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I have always been extremely overweight and I've struggled my entire life. A little more than a year ago, on my 37th birthday, I challenged myself to drop 100 pounds before turning 40. I have since lost 70 pounds. Friends ask how I'm doing it and to be honest, I'm not sure. The best answer I can give is eat less and move more. That's really all I've done. No counting calories or hitting the gym. At first, I was losing it so fast I thought something was wrong with me. But the doctor ran numerous tests and found nothing. He told me to keep doing what I'm doing. I've been a SAHM for a few years now and since this is our first year homeschooling I don't quite know if it will have a negative effect on my battle with the bulge. My hope is that my willingness to continue and to be a positive role model for my DD's, who struggle as well, will help me stay on track. But, we'll see.

momofgrlz
08-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I am only starting but I have became a morning bird. I get up work out and take a shower before the kids wake up.

Accidental Homeschooler
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow Staysee! that is incredible.

Staysee34
08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow Staysee! that is incredible.

A few months back we went shopping. My clothes were literally falling off of me. My girls automatically walked to the plus size section and I followed knowing that they would be too big. I still struggle with self image. I still see myself as being very overweight and even though I'm far from my goal, I no longer need to shop in the plus size section. It's been an adjustment to say the least. Thanks so much for the post Accidental Homeschooler.

MrsLOLcat
08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow, congratulations!!