PDA

View Full Version : Our daily schedule is already messed up

Pilgrim
08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Naively, we had visions of a perfect little schedule: academic work in the mornings, M-F, then lessons and other outtings in the afternoons and evenings. 1-2 of those afternoons would be to the bigger town 40 minutes away.

Well, DD's reading tutor wants to stick with mornings twice a week. Plus, the new HS chorus that is right up DD's alley is only offered at 9 am on Wed (and is 40 minutes away). The problem is we had planned to travel that way later on the same day. No way we're hanging out there for 10 hours, and two trips back and forth wouldn't be fun. So we have to do some rearranging.

I don't like the idea of every day being something completely different, and I know academic work would be a lot more 'peaceful' if done in the mornings.

I'm assuming I'm not alone?

Accidental Homeschooler
08-12-2011, 12:43 PM
That happened to us in the Spring with swimming lessons. They were mid-morning and it made it very difficult to get the academics done. It seems to take twice as long in the afternoons to get done what we would normally do in the morning. Scheduling was hard when my dds were in school also, as everything had to be after school and it would make for some very long days. For us we are going to have academics in the morning, downtime in the afternoon and then busy evenings three days a week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are going to be a especially tough. Could you make Saturday mornings (maybe with the focus on their favorite subjects) part of your academic time and not worry about getting anything done on Wednesdays? Good luck!

skrink
08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh, I'm going crazy with this! You're definitely not alone. My ideal sounds a lot like your, with work in the a.m. when everyone is at their best, with the extras later in the day. However, in an attempt to get out and meet more kids I have signed on with a very active group that has cool stuff going on at least a few times a week. Unfortunately, times vary from mid morning to late afternoon, and living in the boonies like we do it's a haul getting there and back. If we attend the whole day gets eaten up and my beautifully planned out schedule is useless. My daughter does much, much better when we are on a regular routine, and, really, so do I. It's a case of steady routine and the good stuff that comes with it vs. loneliness and too much time at home. I think we're just going to have to gut through the next month or so to see what works, activity-wise, and what makes more sense to let go. I also think we're going to have to do more on the weekend mornings than we're used to. The trick will be making sure there's enough down time for everyone's mental health.

Never as easy as you think it will be, is it? Good luck!!

Pilgrim
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Could you make Saturday mornings (maybe with the focus on their favorite subjects) part of your academic time and not worry about getting anything done on Wednesdays? Good luck!

Thanks. Saturdays is a good idea, maybe a 'lite' bit of work, then planning on some 'travel' work on Wed. when we are in the car for nearly 1.5 hours.

However, in an attempt to get out and meet more kids I have signed on with a very active group that has cool stuff going on at least a few times a week. Unfortunately, times vary from mid morning to late afternoon, and living in the boonies like we do it's a haul getting there and back. If we attend the whole day gets eaten up and my beautifully planned out schedule is useless. My daughter does much, much better when we are on a regular routine, and, really, so do I.

Same here on all points! Without a routine, we are too often likely to let the days get away from us.

And we're joining two h.s. groups, which is good, but will add to the chaos of trying to fit in extracurriculars. We know we can't do everything, and I want to protect our scheduled time at home, but also don't want to keep the kids from things they really love just for the sake of sticking to our ideal schedule.

Trying to make a schedule...ha, what were we thinking?! :p

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, I found (through trial and [repeated] error) that we are most productive if we take care of a chunk of work first thing in the morning. We're fortunate that the kids' activities are all in the afternoons except a weekly homeschool group. My goal for the fall (ha ha) is to get up early enough to shower and check my email before 8:00am so we can start our school day as soon as my husband leaves for work.

Your kids may be fine with doing school work at different times, you never know! Can you post a schedule for them to see what times are blocked off for school so they know when to expect it?

Hampchick
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
The boys and I are all morning people (much to my husband's dismay) and so yes, I am right there with you. If we don't get through our school work in the a.m. it is very hard to get it done later with all of the distractions. Knowing this is one of the reasons we didn't sign up for many activities during our first year. This year I want to do more but already I have one outside class scheduled for the morning and co-op that varies between morning and afternoons. I have a feeling it will be unsettling for a while.

MarkInMD
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Living and learning, just like the rest of us. Luckily all our extracurriculars are later in the day and fairly close by, but we've had to adjust our fair share in the past. You'll figure it out.

WindSong
08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Sounds familiar. When we first started last year, I had a schedule worked out that quickly fell by the wayside. Usually the culprit was lessons taking longer than expected for various reasons. I'm sure that will continue to be the case this year as well. Thankfully, our activities are all in the afternoon. However, each one is on a different day with horseback-riding lesson being almost an hour's drive. So it's all a juggling act. I did find that once we settled into our routine, that it became easier. I hope you get it all worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

MrsLOLcat
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Heh, I had visions of this - our third year at home - finally being the 'stable' year. I really need to quit being optimistic ;) My schedule is ugly. Between M2's school events, swim team practice and lessons, violin lessons, biweekly therapy, running errands, homeschool group, and everything else (allergy testing for M1 in two weeks, for instance), I'm done. I really wanted to get M1 into OT this semester to see if we could work on building core strength and his sensory issues, but I just don't see it happening. I think it's a hazard of parenting to be overscheduled. It takes a lot of effort to keep it simple! I'm still working really hard to make sure that the mornings are free for school, but I already know that at least one day's education will be taking place at a library in between his swimming lesson and swim team practice!

StartingOver
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Nothing goes on here until school is done. Now when mine get older it will be different. But nothing continues even then, if work is not done responsibly.

Stella M
08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I have to keep mornings as clear as I can; too tired to h/s in the afternoons. Something I found helpful was, where possible, to have a fortnightly, rather than weekly, schedule. Having activities like book club and co-op once in the fortnight disrupts us much less than if they were weekly.

For extra curriculars that are weekly, I choose end of the week and/or weekend activities where possible. Sometimes that means missing out on an activity.

Good luck, Pilgrim, with finding something that works for you. It looks different for every family.

hockeymom
08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
The juggling act and schedule disruption are about to become a reality for us as well. Last year we didn't have any problem doing our work in the morning and allowing it to seep into the afternoon as we wished, but this year we'll have co-op twice a week (once for classes and once for field trips) which automatically reduces our "school time" down to 3 times a week. Weekends will be busy and not conducive to table work, so I'll have to adjust my planning. Glad to see there are so many ways of dealing with it.

Good luck in your first year, Pilgrim!

Staysee34
08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Same issue here and it's tough! We will be starting our first year next week with just half days hitting the core subjects (language arts and math) in the morning. This will hopefully give me an idea of how the whole day will go when we kick into full gear after labor day. I haven't found a local group to join but scheduling is still tricky because of DD9's therapies (4 a week). So far, I've managed to get everything scheduled for afternoons and evenings. DD 7 wants to do gymnastics and girl scouts but those are also evening activities. I've made it pretty clear that our mornings belong to us and they are not to be interrupted unless it's absolutely necessary. So far, everyone is on board and I'm hoping it stays that way as my girls definitely need a set routine with as little change as possible (transitioning issues). It's amazing how everything looks great on paper but once it's acted on it's not so great! I'm sure you'll find a routine that works for your family!

TamaraNC
08-13-2011, 10:00 AM
We're usually able to keep mornings clear for school, but what I've found helps is that we always do school in the same place -- the library -- so if we're at a library, even if it's a library in another town in the afternoon between an art class and a field trip, the kids know it's time to settle in. It's a little Pavlovian. :)

CatInTheSun
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Not extracurriculars but nature is my way here. :D It's pushing 100F by 9am and doesn't drop below 100F until midnight, so any playing outside this time of year has to be 7-9a. But that is when my kids do homeschooling BEST! It's tough to start after they've been playing all morning, plus they are up by 6am so it's already well into their day. Come in, breakfast, clean up -- so I'm lucky to get going by 10a. In the winter we're usually DONE by then (at least the daily core subjects) and that's when we go outside!

Nothing to do but adapt. And wait for the seasons to change. In about... 6 more weeks. :p

Jilly
08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
We had the same problem last year, and this year it is going to get harder because I have to drive my daughter to and from school everyday. The drive will take thirty minutes round trip, so I am not looking forward to that. This year I did schedule most of my sons classes on Wednesday, so we can concentrate on school the rest of the week. For us a four-day school week works good especially if we have a large chunk of the day available to concentrate on academics.