PDA

View Full Version : When Curriculum Titles Go Bad...

Snoopy
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
The latest issue of the Clickschooling newsletter had a title that caught my attention, as it referenced a math curriculum for the teen crowd: Math for Morons Like Us (http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/home.html).

Now, I'm not a prude, and I use the word "moron" quite often when I'm driving. But despite the attempt at humor in this particular case, the title of this particular program really disturbs me. Maybe I'm touchy because I never was good at math, although I excelled at most everything else. But the thought of kids thinking of themselves (or being encouraged to think of themselves) as morons because they don't get math really bugs me.

I know, I know, there is the whole series of "The Idiot's Guide to...", which also bugs me, although I did recommend one of their titles to someone recently. I didn't mind the "For Dummies" series because "dummies" sounds much more inocuous to me than "idiot" or "moron". It's affectionate the way "idiot" or "moron" just isn't.

What next? Math for Motherf***ers?! Philosophy for Fatsos? Reading for Retards?

Am I being too touchy? What do you think?

Riceball_Mommy
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I thought that was pretty awful too, so you are not the only one.

dbmamaz
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
OMG your suggestions made me laugh! I'm assuming the 'math for morons' would appeal to kids who've already labled themselves that way from years in the 'evil' school system

Snoopy
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
OMG your suggestions made me laugh!

You know, now that I think about it, there's money to be made with this. Quick, let's think of other titles we could add to our stable: P.E. for pussies, history for hussies, science for sissies?

Does anyone want to write the actual books? I'll just come up with the titles. Ha!

Wilma
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I have a problem with Math Doesn't Suck by Danica McKellar. As I wrote in my getting to know you post, I can have a potty moth, but I really, really don't like the word "suck." Kinda like how I don't like "butt." Don't know why. I'd much rather hear "ass" than "butt."

Snoopy
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I have a problem with Math Doesn't Suck by Danica McKellar. As I wrote in my getting to know you post, I can have a potty moth, but I really, really don't like the word "suck." Kinda like how I don't like "butt." Don't know why. I'd much rather hear "ass" than "butt."

Well, that sucks.

;)

BPier12
05-05-2010, 01:06 AM
I know, I know, there is the whole series of "The Idiot's Guide to...", which also bugs me, although I did recommend one of their titles to someone recently. I didn't mind the "For Dummies" series because "dummies" sounds much more inocuous to me than "idiot" or "moron". It's affectionate the way "idiot" or "moron" just isn't.

What next? Math for Motherf***ers?! Philosophy for Fatsos? Reading for Retards?

Am I being too touchy? What do you think?

When I mentioned to a friend of mine (who happens to be a school teacher) that we were going to start homeschooling, he jokingly referred me to "Homeschooling for Dummies" which he swears exists!

Riceball_Mommy
05-05-2010, 01:12 AM
When I mentioned to a friend of mine (who happens to be a school teacher) that we were going to start homeschooling, he jokingly referred me to "Homeschooling for Dummies" which he swears exists!

I think I saw that book in the library. I never was fond of the "for Dummies" title. They might have good info but I'm not ready to feel like I'm calling myself a "Dummy."

dbmamaz
05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I have to admit I did learn a good deal from SQL for dummies . . . it was just such a nice, light read that I didnt have to FORCE myself to read it. And i actually really like the word 'suck' . . . :o ;)

LJean
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't get offended easy, so the titles don't bother me. Just an FYI my daughter tells me I suck all the time, LOL (usually said in a joking manner).