PDA

View Full Version : Science museums in Boston for 10 year old?

Searcher_2010
08-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi,

We will be in Boston soon and I am looking for any feedback on the MIT museum and the Science museum in Boston proper. The later is pretty pricey - is it worth the cost? My son likes building things and hands-on activities - or watching videos/demos that show cause-and-effect activities (e.g. he was mesmerized by a canon demonstration at a naval museum).

Thanks for your help!
Esther

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
We love the Museum of Science. It's pretty big, so you can really spend the day there (especially if you want to spring for a planetarium or IMAX show!). All the exhibits have some kind of "hands on" component and there's a whole room dedicated to playing with motion--pendulums, swings, spinning platforms, a place to see how fast they can run. You can save a little money by bringing your own lunch or snacks instead of paying through the nose at the cafe. Have fun!

anywaybecause
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Yes, the Museum of Science is fantastic! If you belong to a museum local to you, check and see if they have Boston MoS on their reciprocity list. If so, that should earn you a discounted admission, I suspect.

We also have the New England Aquarium, though it's actually been years since we've been there, so I can't tell you if they still have the hands on pool.

farrarwilliams
08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Almost an aside, but the Boston Children's Museum Activity Books are the most amazing science books out there. And the author does work with the science museum there now apparently.

paceofnature
08-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, the Museum of Science is fantastic! If you belong to a museum local to you, check and see if they have Boston MoS on their reciprocity list. If so, that should earn you a discounted admission, I suspect.
I agree with checking for reciprocation discounts...well worth the money if you like to visit museums!

My 7yo enjoyed the MIT museum as well. Not a ton of hands on sort of stuff, but lots of great stuff to look at. They did have some Lego Robotics that you could program and try out ~ Alden gave that 2 thumbs up ;)

rumbledolly
08-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I like both but yeah MoS is pricey. If you happen to be staying in Boston or surrounding area check and see if the hotel offers discount tix - some do. Also buy online - you don't save money but you can purchase before and that normally helps us budget better. If you're staying with friends in the area check and see if their library offers free tickets/passes. Ours does but you need to sign up in advance though summer isn't normally an issue. They are much harder to get on PS vacations.

When we visit we almost always eat off site or brown bag it. You can walk out of the museum and take a left, walk near the parking garage and follow the path on the side down under the bridge (no the gnomes and Puddintane do not live under the bridge) and you'll come out on the river walk near the CambridgeSide Galleria. They have a food court plus Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen - plus it's a good place to people watch with outside seating!

Shoe
08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
We love the Museum of Science-it's pretty much the primary reason we go to Boston-anything else we do is a bonus. It's pricey, yes, so we bought a membership that saves us money if we go twice in a year, but also has some free admissions to other museums around the country. If you hold a membership elsewhere, see if that also offers reciprocal admission.

My kids are 14 and 12 now, but have enjoyed the MoS every time since they were 7 and 5. We usually check out an IMax feature too, but that adds to the cost.

Searcher_2010
08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks, All - that is very reassuring! Appreciate all of the feedback and good advice - we will certainly enjoy ourselves