PDA

View Full Version : two grown, successful- what i learned the hard way!

Fireside Academy
08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
i found that my kids were very different, and i had to allow them to learn in their own way. my son was a bit more hardheaded than my daughter, and while he was willing to put hours into learning unbelievable amounts of information where internet security was concerned (coding, etc., things i don't know what they mean LOL), he was very hard to push to do other things (as a teen). i was shocked when he scored above average on his standardized college admission tests, as if it were by osmosis. of course, his knowledge base in computer science was high enough that his professors encouraged him to seek a degree in another field. he was told that he knew more than most graduate degreed adults and would be wasting his time. he now has a great job in his favorite field. this experience made me a believer in the 'unschooling' method- although i have yet to actually apply it 100%.
my daughter, on the other hand, was organized and committed and required little to no prodding- and is on full academic scholarship at NYU.
while small, children are just so enthusiastic about learning, and seem to just love to soak it up. as teens, they become a lot more difficult to manage, and i found that the best thing to do was not to manage. to only encourage. the only time i had a problem with my oldest two was when i tried to force them to do something. if i handed them a catalogue full of books or videos and let them pick out the curriculum, they did beautifully. :-) btw- i love your website.

and i do not capitalize properly while online. :p

PetVet
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
thanks for this...
and neither do i
:p

dbmamaz
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I am glad it worked out so well for you and your kids . . but not all kids are the same. i show my kids a catalog, and they say, i dont know, whatever you think. I ask them what they want to study, and they say, I dont know. I make 2 or 3 suggestions, and they pick something. We all need to meet our kids needs, where they are.