PDA

View Full Version : I think I "understand" my issue with curriculum better...

gidamom
08-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Our decision to hs was not taken lightly at all, in fact it is still "tough" for me...but things just "pushed" us in this direction. Since we did decide, we've always looked at it as a one-year thing. (We all know that if everyone loves it and we want to continue we definitely will, but we are looking at it as a one year adventure, one year at a time)

Based on that, I keep thinking that the kids are used to a "school" course structure and they are thinking about going back to that...so as many cool things as I've seen, it makes it hard based on these facts to "move away" from the "school" structure. I think deep inside I'm afraid to deviate from a format they are used to and might probably return to....

So, based on keeping things "one year at a time", would you just go wild and completely "re-do" our things knowing they might have to go back...or keep it similar to school???

Stella M
08-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Well...I'd take the year to have an adventure!!! How will you guys know if you love h/s if it looks like school ? 8th grade and 5th grade aren't do or die years, imo. Shake it up, do something different, and if they go back in a years time, they'll have had a unique learning experience to treasure. But that's only 'cos you asked :)

Accidental Homeschooler
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I figured out that my dd was getting 2.5 to 3 hours of on task academics in a 7 hour school day of junior high(and I think I am being generous). Elementary school would be even less. So even if you cover everything they would get in school the way they would get it in school (traditional texts) they will still have a lot of time to pursue their own interests, time they did not have in ps.

Rebookie
08-07-2011, 11:51 PM
The only advice I can give (because I'm a newbie) would be to do what works for your kids! =)

Hampchick
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
How will you guys know if you love h/s if it looks like school ?

This is what I was thinking. If you structure your homeschool to look like school then you are preventing your family from experiencing many of the benefits of homeschooling. Besides, the kids might be 'used' to the school structure, but do they like it? Do they thrive with it?

gidamom
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Melissa and Dawn, I was thinking the same thing!! but at the same time, I am lucky that both my kids are great students, and they always have been. they did very well in school..so I'm soooooo confused!!! And yes, Melissa, please tell me what you are HONESTLY thinking! I need all your advice! You are experts at this and I truly need your guidance!

Busygoddess
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
When we first started homeschooling, it was on a trial basis. I knew I wasn't going to send my dd back to ps, but dh needed some convincing. So, just in case, I made sure we covered everything the ps did. That way, if dd decided to go back, we couldn't afford to continue hsing, or it didn't work out for any other reason, I knew she wouldn't be behind. I strayed, though. I added extra things that I thought she'd enjoy and did things in a way quite different from the ps, whenever possible. So, she covered everything the local schools did (plus some additional stuff), just in a different way.

Looking back, I wish I had done things a bit differently. I wish I had followed my gut on what to cover each year, instead of being guided by the ps scope & sequence. I think her love of learning would have returned faster had her schooling been more the way her brother's is now. Part of that is also finding materials that I didn't know about back then, so it still may not have worked even if I had follwed a different scope & sequence. Things turned out alright, though. She's got that love of learning again (except with Math), and I think we're doing quite well. I still have occasional pangs of guilt, though, when ds does something that I know dd would have loved to do at that age (especially when she gets that pouty 'why didn't I get to do that' look on her face).

So, my advice would be to stray as far from the ps way of doing things as you are comfortable with. As time passes, you'll figure out what works best and be more comfortable with your schooling looking less like the ps.