PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Tennessee

Darwinmom
05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Hello all! I am so excited to finally find a forum for secular homeschoolers! I have been homeschooling my two children, ds 13, dd 8 for 3 and a half years. We have been a part of a few homeschool groups in our area, but have not found one we feel comfortable in. Living where we do, the majority of the hs are conservative Christians, and we are not. I am a pagan. I was raised in a pagan home. Converted to Baptist as an adult with my hubby, but it was not for us. We just never felt at home with Christianity. I kind of just left the church a few years ago and did nothing. Recently I decided that I need to embrace my real beliefs. It has been a wonderful feeling to be who I really am. But it is hard when you cannot share it with anyone other than your spouse and my mother. I fear that by sharing doors will be closed to my children. Everyone we know that hs, public schools, or private are Christians. And many are very judgmental about anything different than the norm. We feel very isolated. I am grateful that my kids and hubby are cool with that. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)

Shoe
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the site. There's a lot of nice people here and a lot of interesting conversations. I've got a 13 year old son, currently homeschooled (and an 11 year old daughter about to start), so I look forward to any insights you might have for that age group.

Cheers.

Snoopy
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Darwinmom, welcome to the site. I'm sorry you are not able to find a local support group. We have few Pagan parents in the group here so maybe you'll find someone with similar interests who lives close to you :)

LJean
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Hello and welcome! :)

slogsdon
05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi there -

I am new to the group and in Tennessee also. I am in Montgomery County - where are you? I hope you can find a local support group - I just started our journey too and am looking for resources (for my DD 9). Fortunately there are some local here and we are close to Nashville which has some secular groups as well.

Shelby

:)

Topsy
05-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome Darwinmom!! Thanks for stopping in and introducing yourself here on the forum. I know many of us identify with your difficulties on finding local secular homeschoolers. It can be SO difficult - - especially in certain areas of the country. You might find some encouragement and ideas from this site article called "How to Find Other Secular Homeschoolers Near You (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You)". In the meantime, I hope we can be a virtual source of support!!

Topsy

mom2twoboys
05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi, I grew up in Tennessee, so I completely understand about you being "stuck" in the bible belt. I now live in Arkansas, but very close to Memphis. Are you in that area? It would be nice to not feel so alone!

wuffers
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Hello Darwinmom! I understand your feelings. I was raised Catholic by my not so religious parents. I really tried- there were alot of things I loved about Catholicism. But when it came to teaching my children, I just couldn't do it. It's one thing to play along, but it is another to teach your children something that you really don't believe. That is when I let it go. I tend not to discuss my thoughts on religion with anyone but those closest to me who I know won't judge me. I've got lots of fundie friends (that's the predominant thing out here) and I'm either a complete mystery to them, or they assume that I'm one of them, I don't know. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter- they don't need to know. Anyhow, I' hope you are able to find a group!