PDA

View Full Version : HS portfolios for FL

gidamom
07-31-2011, 11:31 AM
We are currently in Puerto Rico and will be homeschooling this year for the first time. I don't have any requirements here. However, we are planning to move to FL sometime this year, and I understand I need to prepare a portfolio for the kids.

Can someone tell me how those are prepared? What do I need to include? DoI need "grades"? How would I calculate those??

thanks!
O.

LovingMyChildren
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
The best source of advice can be found at www.fpea.com - the Florida Parent-Educator's Association. The membership fee is minimal and they have multiple brochures you can download from the website (some open to the public, some only available to members). Here's the basics though: Requirements include a letter of intent that must be submitted to the local school district (once you move here). Then, you keep a portfolio of your educational activities. No grades are needed. You can make the portfolio simple or hard! Section 1002.41, Florida law defines a portfolio as "A log of educational activities which is made contemporaneously with the instruction and which designates by title any reading materials used and samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or reactive materials used or developed by the student." The regional representative for FPEA in my area says that at a minimum you need to keep lists of books you read, materials/workbooks etc you use, activities engaged in such as museums or educational tv shows you watch, and a good sample of work across the year. She suggested that you keep all work products, then at the end of the year take a few worksheets from among those you kept that demonstrates change over time. Then, toss the rest. She emphasized that the record has to be kept as you teach so date and record everything as you go along. That way, you are never playing catch-up with record keeping and you are complying with the law, and you are ready if you are audited to ensure that you really are teaching your children. I have an excel spreadsheet going which is pretty simple to use and add to. A different thread on here talked about ways to manage your library/book reading list so search the site for several cool ideas. Of course, you don't need to do this portfolio until you get here. Then, within one year of sending in your letter of intent, you have to have an evaluation by a certified teacher. They basically review your materials and ask your child some questions to ensure you really did what you wrote down. If you really are homeschooling and not letting you child play in the mud all day, these are not problematic. Again, all this can be found on FPEA's website but this is the basics. Pre-welcome to Florida!

gidamom
07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks so much Loving! It definitely sounds very doable. I need to make sure that I am keeping with the FL requirements just in case. I will definitely be looking through the fpea site. I truly appreciate the info!!

Marmalade
08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Also-what helped me out TONS was joining this Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL_Homeschool_Evaluations/

the moderator does cyber evaluations and is extemely helpful and will answer any and all questions you have regardless of whether you use her as an evaluator.

gidamom
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks Marmalade!!! That seems like a wonderful resource! :)